• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2012 IRB Junior World Championship

Status
Not open for further replies.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Not so fast Ilike.

I've told this story before.

A long while back my eldest was playing in the Under 10s or something like that on the ground outside Rat Park. It had being raining for weeks and there were puddles like mini lakes. They played all right.

One time Big Ollie of Newport got the ball near the Narrabeen 22. He was always hard to stop, Ollie, but just as he started to get into his stride one of the Narrabeen players said: "Look, there's a frog." All his team mates went over to the huge puddle and looked at the frog as Ollie walked over the goal line and scored the try.

Then he and the other Newport players went over to look at the frog, as the Narrabeen coach was tearing his hair out.

A lack of concentration in the wet starts early in Oz.
Lee, your kids are obviously over 20 years old.
My oldest nephew is just out of colts this year, and played in conditions you describe,when he was 8 or 9.
He has a brother who is 16 who has never played in anything but a fast tack.
Another sign of the changing times I suppose.

twenty seven

Tom Lawton (22)
Went past a League field the other day and their field was destroyed because of savage rain and any number of games - but the kids had fun.
Its a piss poor excuse - any number of our coaches out there who know what to do in that type of weather - these guys are supposed to be our best so listen to advice and do it on the field.

In the Aus game the thing I noticed was the constant throwing of hands in the air waiting for the ref to blow his whistle; the constant chatting at the ref; and the one that really shit me was arguing with the touchie as to where the ball crossed the line. Put your bloody head down and play the game. Too much princess acting out there IMO.

PLUS the Argeies were absolutely committed and enthusiastic. They played to the conditions and to the fact that they believed they could do it, not expected it to happen.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
My notes on the Australia v Argentina match:

- The tight 5 started alright but could not hold the intensity. Nucifora's use of the bench was beyond horrible, pretty much the whole tight 5 should have been subbed by about the 60th minute. I really hope the non-use of the bench was due to injuries and not shithouse coaching.

- 9 Lucas and 10 Godwin were under preassure all game. Godwin should not have been taking the place kicks after his poor performance with the tee in the earlier game. He missed 2 kick-able penalties, and was having a hard day with ball in hand in the wet. Lucas struggles when the pack is not going forward, but he has a nice pass and doesn't fuck around with the ball like others do.

- 12 for australia was poor, his running lines need work. I was surprised that when the sub came on it was for 13 and not 12. 13 was also poor but had far less opportunities than 12.

- 15 UJS is an excellent kicker out of hand, Gerrard-esque.

I would like to see frisby get a run at 12 and 10 to see how he goes.

The backrow was decent enough I thought, but they were not able to seagul, pilfer and play the linking game because the tight 5 were having such a hard time in the tight.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Oh and glen jackson has no fucking idea what is going on at scrum time. We had the dominant scrum until the argies bought reserves on.

Caputo

Billy Sheehan (19)
Congrtulations Australia we truly have a national style of play implemented through all the age groups. Crap in the wet.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Also this is no excuse for losing, but the pitch was beyond poor. The IRB have now moved all further games away from the dannie craven stadium because the pitch was so poor.

twenty seven

Tom Lawton (22)
Both teams had to play on that pitch - so yeah - no excuse.

Rugby was, and hopefully still is, all about playing no matter what the conditions are: rain, hail, sleet or sunshine.

Argentina used their bench very well. Good replacements at the right time, they didn't take a backward step. Would like to know what their background to the lead up was like. Did they play club at a high level right up to their departure. what level they were playing at home. Seems some of our lads were a bit lost in what to do at pivotal times, was it due to lack of match play with the big boys!

Frisby is a good player, would have like to see him used so that he can give his best in the right position.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
Don't think Australia will be getting the 4th seed fella's.

No probably not. But Scotland might beat Argentina. In which case we'd only need to beat France to go through. It's a long shot but given the upsets we've had so far it wouldn't surprise too much.

twenty seven

Tom Lawton (22)
There has been some close games and some interesting outcomes. Going to enjoy the tussle over who gets through!

Those Aus lads will have learnt a lot from that game last night.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Close game from Ireland but they never really built on their half time lead. Very hard to see them put 60+ points on Italy, so even if SA beat England they'll probably end up 3rd in the group.

Looks like whoever finished 1st seeds will be "rewarded" with a semi against NZ.

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
Close game from Ireland but they never really built on their half time lead. Very hard to see them put 60+ points on Italy, so even if SA beat England they'll probably end up 3rd in the group.

Looks like whoever finished 1st seeds will be "rewarded" with a semi against NZ.
we just beat NZ

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
Watched the game last night, awful. Between that game and Tuesday nights game, I friggin hope tonight goes well.

T

tranquility

I cannot get that bloody South African website to work! can someone please link me to the highlights package?

Thank in advance

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Hey lee it's interesting that you mention that you think ollie Hoskins is to tall to be a THP. The wallabies to night will have a player starting at THP who is 188 cm tall and 120kg. That player is Kepu he is 2cm shorter than Ollie and the exact same weight So I doubt his height will play a part in his career.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
I didn't mean that his height is too tall to be a THP. I've probably seen as many tall good scrummaging THPs as anybody on this forum - and perhaps even more.

I meant it's too tall for Hoskins to be a THP, at least in those conditions and ..... so far. Let's see how he develops and hopefully gets coached properly to deal with his height. He got stood up too many times last night and I've seen it from him before.

Tilse of the Tahs has had similar problems.

It's not just height though; it's length of back and how that is supported by muscles etc and lots of other physical type things.

I hope that he can make it as a scrummager as a senior player because his work around the park is abrasive and can be Browning like. Always has been.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
fair call I misunderstood what you where getting at. But I do think a lot of last nights issues came from the second row there was absolutely no pressure coming from them the front row was sliding back as if they where on ice so what else to do that try and stand it up to release the pressure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M

Magic sponge

Watched the game last night, awful. Between that game and Tuesday nights game, I friggin hope tonight goes well.
Gents,have followed this thread with interest and have thought it best to wait and see what happens. It appears that the rather unusual selections highlighted by those closer to the action appear to have materialised. Sadly the shortcomings of the boys were on display last night,however I would like to simply congratulate the Argies for a great display,no excuses they thumped us.
Of interest though I would have thought that the failure to actively use our bench would have prompted more discussion. Is it possible there was a good reason why David. N got moved on from the brumbies

Anyway look forward totherest of the tournament

Status
Not open for further replies.