• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

2012 England tour to SA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larno

Ward Prentice (10)
Biggest worry is the injury to Juandre Kruger. We don't have another test level 5 to call up so hoping he is fit.

Meyer could do worse than call up Johann Muller, given the lack of other options. He's been pretty good this year for Ulster.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Muller should have been the fourth lock. HE may call him up yet. I suspect he will move Etzebeth to 4 in the line out and start Flip. Spies to call the lineouts. I'd prefer Muller.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Meyer could do worse than call up Johann Muller, given the lack of other options. He's been pretty good this year for Ulster.
I'll kak myself if he calls on another chicken runner. Krugers injury aint that bad (he connect Etsebets heap)so he'll at least played from the bench with maybe Klein Flippie starting. Franco is also in the sqaud and he can just step in if kruger cant play. Our starting 15 look sorted, its the bench which is pack with the Brutes shite that cost us. Wish Aplon was on the bench, he would have killed the Poms from 15 or wing. Look like he will start this weekend with Joe P also now added officially in the sqaud. Unfortunately we are stuck with the weakest SA midfielder Meisiekind in 12 this weekend.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
I'll kak myself if he calls on another chicken runner. Krugers injury aint that bad (he connect Etsebets heap)so he'll at least played from the bench with maybe Klein Flippie starting. Franco is also in the sqaud and he can just step in if kruger cant play. Our starting 15 look sorted, its the bench which is pack with the Brutes shite that cost us. Wish Aplon was on the bench, he would have killed the Poms from 15 or wing. Look like he will start this weekend with Joe P also now added officially in the sqaud. Unfortunately we are stuck with the weakest SA midfielder Meisiekind in 12 this weekend.

Take it down a notch Paarl.

Let it be noted that you are the only person on this board who calls players from another province in your national team shite. I don't think I have read that anywhere even between the most ardent NSW and Queensland supporters. Is it their fault that Meyer chose them? No. What do you expect? Should Oliver say "no sorry Henyeke, rather pick someone else please. I am a shite Brute". Get a grip on reality Paarl. Sometimes you really lose it.

And really as far as I am concerned "chickenrunner" is inflammatory. I donlt see the Aussies or Kiwis here calling their countrymen living abroad names. Time to drag yourself out of 1990. Start now. It's as good a time as ever. Never too late.

So Aplon would have killed the poms like he has killed all the Super Rugby teams this year? Would you have started him ahead of Habana, JP or Lambie? I'd love to know.

Paarl, most South Africans would agree that Olivier and Werner Kruger must not be there.

Anyway I just hope they start with Malherbe on the bench. Beast will go 80 but Jannie can't.

Fark I wish Juan de Jongh was in the squad. :(

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
A couple of things that were discussed on sky sports after the game that I agree with. First that England really missed the defense coaching of Andy Farrell. Now he's left his post at Saracens, England should get him back involved with the England squad asap. He was a great RL player, not so good a RU player but he's proving so far to be a better RU coach.

Secondly it's not just a learning experience for the England players but also for the coaches. Lancaster is a smart guy without the overt arrogance of MJ and he'll take the lessons from this tour and improve England, as long as he's given the time.
Problem he has got is that he has only got one game between now and christmas against a team ranked lower than England and while I think they will beat Australia at Twickers because they will demolish their scrum I don't think the ridiculously parochial and biased English press will abide that many losses because they will lose to NZ and the saffers in the NH autumn.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)

Let it be noted that you are the only person on this board who calls players from another province in your national team shite. I don't think I have read that anywhere even between the most ardent NSW and Queensland supporters. Is it their fault that Meyer chose them? No. What do you expect? Should Oliver say "no sorry Henyeke, rather pick someone else please. I am a shite Brute". Get a grip on reality Paarl. Sometimes you really lose.

And really as far as I am concerned "chickenrunner" is inflammatory. I donlt see the Aussies or Kiwis here calling their countrymen living abroad names. Time to drag yourself out of 1990. Start now. It's as good a time as ever. Never too late.

So Aplon would have killed the poms like he has killed all the Super Rugby teams this year? Would you have started him ahead of Habana, JP or Lambie? I'd love to know.

Paarl, most South Africans would agree that Olivier and Werner Kruger must not be there.

Anyway I just hope they start with Malherbe on the bench. Beast will go 80 but Jannie can't.

Fark I wish Juan de Jongh was in the squad. :(
I dont wanted Aplon to started, I am pretty satisfied with the starting XV, its the bench. Last week the bench was effective this week it was nowhere. Aplon should have been on that bench in the first place and he sure have the ability to create havoc as impact player. Picking Muller, no ways, he can play in Ireland.

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
I dont wanted Aplon to started, I am pretty satisfied with the starting XV, its the bench. Last week the bench was effective this week it was nowhere. Aplon should have been on that bench in the first place and he sure have the ability to create havoc as impact player. Picking Muller, no ways, he can play in Ireland.

I would pick Muller 10 times out of 10 over Franco van der Merwe! At times this year Franco has struggled to nail down a starting place for a very weak Lions team! Their line out has been a shambles all year! To think that he may possibly be leading the Bok lineout at some stage is a very scary thought! He is nowhere near test quality. Muller is a much better player than he is and brings the experience and leadership qualities that could be very useful.

Mank

Ted Thorn (20)

Let it be noted that you are the only person on this board who calls players from another province in your national team shite. I don't think I have read that anywhere even between the most ardent NSW and Queensland supporters. Is it their fault that Meyer chose them? No. What do you expect? Should Oliver say "no sorry Henyeke, rather pick someone else please. I am a shite Brute".

Agree with your post, but I wish you'd applied the same logic above for John Smit. Maybe I'm not remembering correctly?

I am very distressed that Olivier is now our starting midfielder. De Jong should be there.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
I would pick Muller 10 times out of 10 over Franco van der Merwe! At times this year Franco has struggled to nail down a starting place for a very weak Lions team! Their line out has been a shambles all year! To think that he may possibly be leading the Bok lineout at some stage is a very scary thought! He is nowhere near test quality. Muller is a much better player than he is and brings the experience and leadership qualities that could be very useful.
Ja but he is a chicken runner and that disqualify him. If they want to play NH rugby, they should not be allowed close to a Bok jumper. I nearly bekakked myself when Pienaar throwed that popped pass to nobody. We need to only pick SA players playing in SH rugby.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Robshaw is out of the final test with a cracked thumb, would expect Waldrom to replace him. Dylan Hartley will take over the captaincy, at least it will mean that when there's any serious foul play the Ref will likely only have to speak to one guy with the dual hats of captain and perpetrator.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Robshaw is out of the final test with a cracked thumb, would expect Waldrom to replace him. Dylan Hartley will take over the captaincy, at least it will mean that when there's any serious foul play the Ref will likely only have to speak to one guy with the dual hats of captain and perpetrator.

I hope they start Waldrom and not Haskell.

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
Ja but he is a chicken runner and that disqualify him. If they want to play NH rugby, they should not be allowed close to a Bok jumper. I nearly bekakked myself when Pienaar throwed that popped pass to nobody. We need to only pick SA players playing in SH rugby.

Yeah I guess so, a player based in SA couldn't have made that same mistake....

On reading the news this morning that Juandre Kruger was able to train on Monday, it appears that there is no longer a dilemma on the No. 5 lock position.

I do agree with you in principal though Paarl, there has to be some incentive to keep players playing in SA. Otherwise everyone will be chasing the big $$'s overseas if they can still be selected for the Boks.

However, in the particular situation where Kruger may have been ruled out, the team has basically had limited preparation time under a new coaching set up, the first two players for the position were unavailable (Bekker & Kruger), there is no ready made replacement playing in SA, I see no problem with then selecting an O/S based player.

rustycruiser

Billy Sheehan (19)
So the team that trained at Grey in PE Monday was:

15 Aplon, 14 Pieterson, 13 JdV, 12 Olivier, 11 Habana, 10 Steyn, 9 Hougaard, 8 Spies, 7 Jaque Potgieter, 6 Coetzee, 5 Kruger, 4 Etzebeth 3 Jannie Doep, 2 Bissie, 1 Beast.

Alberts and Lambie both sat out injured. F Steyn is a huge loss. If Lambie and Alberts don't recover, big losses as well. Willem more so.

Chicken runner is quite the ignorant term. Especially in reference to a professional player with a limited playing career and potential earning window. But I digress.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Dont understand Meisiekind in 12, means there wont go any ball out wide. 13 will be a better position for him. Aplon for lambie is much of the sameness, Potgieter probably because its his home stadium and not that big a issue, Meisiekind is my biggest fear. Now he need to sort out the bench.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
Good 'English' lad as well!?! England will miss Robshaw. Would think it will be 'the brand' rather than that other 'englishman' fatty waldrom to replace the skipper. Waldrom would be the fattest slowest openside in the history of the game if he starts 7 on saturday!?!

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Good 'English' lad as well!?! England will miss Robshaw. Would think it will be 'the brand' rather than that other 'englishman' fatty waldrom to replace the skipper. Waldrom would be the fattest slowest openside in the history of the game if he starts 7 on saturday!?!

Looks like Waldrom gets to go for the record of fattest slowest No. 8 instead as Ben Morgan has been shifted to the midweek team and Waldrom rested. Still Waldrom did more good when he come off the bench on Saturday than the entire England back row had done in the match up to that point. The worrying thing for England though is that he still managed to squeeze in a few howlers including dropping the ball in his own 22.

The fact Haskell will be starting is a reminder that the England system are very good at producing good squad players but not many who would be considered outstanding at test level. It means that it's easy for them to chop and change players as they're mostly at the same standard. But they also really miss players of the quality of Croft as proportional to their playing numbers they produce very few.

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
South Africa:
15 Gio Aplon, 14 JP Pietersen, 13 Jean de Villiers (captain), 12 Wynand Olivier, 11 Bryan Habana, 10 Morne Steyn, 9 Francois Hougaard, 8 Pierre Spies, 7 Jacques Potgieter, 6 Marcell Coetzee, 5 Juandre Kruger, 4 Eben Etzebeth, 3 Jannie du Plessis, 2 Bismarck du Plessis, 1 Tendai Mtwarira
Substitutes: 16 Adriaan Strauss, 17 Werner Kruger, 18 Flip van der Merwe, 19 Ryan Kankowski, 20 Ruan Pienaar, 21 Elton Jantjies, 22 Bjorn Basson

I hope we can get at least 65 minutes out of Jannie this weekend, because the scrums were a disgrace when Werner Kruger came on last weekend! Would be nice to see Jantjies get some game time late in the game - particularly if Morne has another poor day with the boot like he did last week! He has improved his all round game though, his defence is solid and his tactical kicking is crucial to the way the Boks have been playing this series.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
See a loooooong afternoon on saturday. Meanwhile jean will captain the Bokke for the year now. Congrats to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.