• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

2011 RWC - Pool C - Australia, Ireland, Italy, USA, Russia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
We anticipate that there could be a plethora of threads for the RWC. Therefore, with some exceptions, we suggest that all pool matches be commented on in their pool thread, otherwise we could have nearly 50 threads for matches alone.

There will be separate threads for those games highlighted, and, if events make subsequent matches an exciting prospect then others will be added. There will be separate threads for Quarter-Final games and above.

Use these pool threads to preview and discuss the matches and how the pools are panning out. There will be other threads to discuss other matters.

Pool C [Times are AEST]

Sun Sept 11 - 13.30 - Australia v Italy - North Harbour Stadium - Auckland
Sun Sept 11 - 16.00 - Ireland v USA - New Plymouth - Stadium - Taranaki
Thurs Sept 15 - 17.30 - Russia v USA - New Plymouth - Stadium Taranaki
Sat Sept 17 - 18.30 - Australia v Ireland - Auckland - Eden Park
Tues Sept 20 - 17.30 - Italy v Russia - Nelson - Trafalgar Park
Fri Sept 23 - 18.30 - Australia v USA - Wellington - Wellington Regional Stadium
Sun Sept 25 - 16.00 - Ireland v Russia - Rotorua - Rotorua International Stadium
Tues Sept 27 - 17.30 Italy v USA - Nelson - Trafalgar Park
Sat October 1 - 13.30 - Australia v Russia - Trafalgar Park Nelson
Sun October 2 - 18.30 Ireland v Italy - Dunedin - Otago Stadium

All games are on Fox live. The Wallabies games are on Channel 9 also.

D

daz

Ah, Ireland, spiritual home of Al Qaeda

The last meal of each suicide bomber is potato and peat bog pie, washed down with Guinness.

The Yanks might have to carpet bomb Boston, that well known Irish training camp.

wilful

Larry Dwyer (12)
Ah, Ireland, spiritual home of Al Qaeda
Well actually, there's been an interesting link between some US Republican politicians who supported the murderous terrorists the IRA, who got their weapons from Gaddaffi's Libya.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'd love to be in the dressing rooms before USA vs Russia to hear what the coaches have to say.

I wonder if the coaches will try and bring up Cold War rhetoric to try and fire up their teams?

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
I'd love to be in the dressing rooms before USA vs Russia to hear what the coaches have to say.

I wonder if the coaches will try and bring up Cold War rhetoric to try and fire up their teams?

I will be interested when the Wallabies play Russia. Will they refer to James Horwill as Captain Comrade seeing as he has lead the Reds into battle. :D

JimboJoe1006

Chris McKivat (8)
What's everyone thoughts on Ireland chances in the pool? Hit by injuries and had a terrible streak of form in the trials, furthermore, I can see the conditions and style of rugby really suiting the Italians, especially in Dunedin.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
USA could cause an upset over Ireland - 10th anniversary of 9/11.

Maybe I'm mad because I keep trying to convince people at home that the USA has a good chance here. I know their form is shite but I'm thinking just maybe with the anniversary of this horrible event that maybe they'll rise to the occation. I could end up with egg on my face with Eire giving USA a flogging. Eire is my 2nd team so I dont like betting against them but maybe the better odds could be the line bet, USA +32.5, might be worth a go if I find I'm not brave enough to back them for an outright win maybe just backing them not to get flogged. Their last game against Eire they lost by 17, not sure if it was Eire's A team though.

Well actually, there's been an interesting link between some US Republican politicians who supported the murderous terrorists the IRA, who got their weapons from Gaddaffi's Libya.

Well they needed weapons to fight those murderous British invaders :) (I know emotions often dont get across on the net so see the smiley face? thats my signal that I'm not trying to start a "religious, they used to be freedom fighters back in the day, no they aren't" shit fight). Cheers.

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I haven't seen the US play, but i'd imagine Ireland are much better drilled than them. Hopefully the USA put up a good fight though, and deny them the BP.

Good to see an unchanged line up against Italy. As long as we don't get caught up in their games I think we are a good chance for scoring 3-4 tries.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
It will be interesting if Australia decide to go for the 5/2 split all the way through the tournament (except for maybe the Russia and USA games). I think it is the way to go, but it will make for an interesting decision on the No. 22 spot. Does Deans go for the more conservative option of having Barnes there, or the more attacking option of the likes of JOC (James O'Connor)?

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)

Are you suggesting that there have never been any links between Democrats and the IRA? Irish-Americans have overwhelmingly been Democrats, historically - the party of the trade unionists and blue collar workers. The Republican Party for many years was the preserve of WASPS - White Anglo-Saxon Protestants - who would have had absolutely no interest in supporting Catholic Irish Republicans.

The first Irish Catholic President of the United States was of course a Democrat. How many senior Republicans are Catholics, even today?

Incidentally, the great thing about the Irish Rugby team is that it represents the whole island - the Republic and also Northern Ireland, and plays games in both Belfast and Dublin.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
What's everyone thoughts on Ireland chances in the pool? Hit by injuries and had a terrible streak of form in the trials, furthermore, I can see the conditions and style of rugby really suiting the Italians, especially in Dunedin.

Italy should have beaten Ireland in 6N this year. They went ahead with 5 minutes to go with a try, but the conversion missed which enabled ROG to kick a droppie 2 minutes later to win the game. In a later round Italy beat France. This could be a banana skin for Ireland.

I wouldn't have thought that after the last round of 6N because Ireland thrashed England. Then there was the Heineken Cup win by Leinster and the Magners League final between them and Munster. Things looked promising for Ireland rugby and their prospects in the RWC.

Then, just a few months later, came the 4 RWC trials all of which were lost; not only lost, but lost without too many redeeming features to offset their fall in IRB rankings from 4th to 8th.

To make matters worse, the losses produced injuries to Lions flanker David Wallace and to promising fullback Felix Jones. Like Oz, Ireland doesn't have a lot of depth and the loss of Wallace, in particular, is significant.

At least the iconic forward leader, lock POC, proved that he is back to speed. There is still concern about the fitness of 13. BOD as there always is these day. He plays injured a lot and has consequently slowed down a bit but his mind still works fast.

There is probably more concern about his midfield partner 12. D'Arcy. Usually a good defender, he missed a lot of tackles last year.

Another concern is the scrum. Like the Oz scrum, it has improved but, like Oz they are only an injury or two away from mediocrity. The continued health of pot plant THP, Mike Ross, is vital.

Ireland has some expansive backs who will thrive with good front foot ball but there was precious little of that delivered in the trials.

If Oz beats both Italy and Ireland, as the bookies insist, the last pool game between Ireland and Italy will be a knock out match with the winner most probably playing South Africa.

Watch this space.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I think the USA v Russia game will be quite interesting. You would think the USA would be a good chance to knock up their 3rd RWC win but the Russians are a bit of an unknown and the USA haven't been in great form loosing their series to Canada recently.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Ireland are a scary team in some ways. When they turn it on, watch out aka England last year. Forget about life as Ireland is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get. Given the tightness in previous RWC clashes with them, I can't help but feel nervious about what they will throw at us.

D

daz

Ireland is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get. .

I always found that an odd saying. When I buy a box of chocolates, it's because I specifically want what is being sold to me. Therefore, when I open them, I expect to see what I wanted.

If I bought a box of, I dunno, caramel creme's, and when I opened them I found out that there were orange and mint all-sorts, I'd be asking for my money back...

Just saying...

:)

A

Army_Gav

Booked a last minute leg to my RWC trip last night, going to the Cold War Stoush to support the Bears & Adam Byrnes. GO РОССИИ

Status
Not open for further replies.