• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

15th team

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
chief said:
Australia and NZ cannot sustain another Super Rugby team. NZ are struggling with the 5th one as it is. All the money they have lost from it and the failure to achieve 5 figure crowd attendances.

If Australia was to ever receive another Super Rugby team, we would have to have won the World Cup recently, and dominated the Tri-Nations. Adelaide could maybe sustain it. Darwin for a Super Rugby team would be impossible.

Japan would be more likely, Argentina for Super Rugby sounds possible, but it's so far away for Aussie teams even though there are conferences.
Chiefy you have to remember or taking into account that we'll see even more derbies within the conferences kind of rugby and less knockout rugby in this. In the end it look like each country have their own CC type, top2 or 3 or 50 goes through to a knockout and finals and winner stage.

Thats the way I see it, thus SA and NZ can have up to 8 or more with ease within their conferense. I think the idea should be to get the Argies in, sooner the better maybe in your conferense. We had them in our Vodacom Cup and it work out just fine.

Langthorne

Phil Hardcastle (33)
RugbyFuture said:
japan is the least likely of all, i wish people would give up on this japan idea, they're part of a different regional association and have a proffesional setup already around with much more money.

a good reason to invite them to the party

RugbyFuture said:
more importantly the super 15 should stop expanding and completely reformulate itself to accomodate for stronger domestic competitions (and the formation of one in australia) with a european cup end period.

The stronger domestic comp idea appeals to everyone, but (in Oz) the money isn't there (see ARC), but for Australia it would be better if it was in addition to s14/15/16/18, and was for 'the tier below' (so like ARC, but somehow not a financial disaster - any ideas?).

I do like the idea of some kind of regional (possibly knock out) cup competition to include provincial sides from across the region.

(and no, I didn't really think Adelaide or Darwin were real s18 team options... Hobart is clearly the front runner)

C

chief

Western Sydney would obviously be the way to go for the next Super Rugby franchise, no new state would be able to sustain a team.

New Zealand could still not financially sustain a 6th team, neither could the Pacific Islands. Sadly it comes down to money at the end of the day.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
chief said:
New Zealand could still not financially sustain a 6th team, neither could the Pacific Islands. Sadly it comes down to money at the end of the day.
The more teams the more money is the approach. NZ have 14 NPC teams, still a long way of with 6 teams.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I think we need a team located somewhere that would have real home ground advantage. Maybe Broken Hill, Alice Springs or my fav Australian Antarctic Territory (The Polar Bears? Bundy Rum Sponsors??)

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
Jets said:
I think we need a team located somewhere that would have real home ground advantage. Maybe Broken Hill, Alice Springs or my fav Australian Antarctic Territory (The Polar Bears? Bundy Rum Sponsors??)

polar bears arent in the southern hemisphere :p

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Some years down the track an Americas conference would be the go.

No way for Western Sydney. If the Reds ar back on the rise, it is time to look at some serious feasability research into Northern QLD. Remember the excitment for Japan in the 2003 RWC. Remember the against the odds, have a dig rugby they were playing. Reds now have somthing entertaining to promote.

C

chief

Ruggo said:

No way for Western Sydney. If the Reds ar back on the rise, it is time to look at some serious feasability research into Northern QLD. Remember the excitment for Japan in the 2003 RWC. Remember the against the odds, have a dig rugby they were playing. Reds now have somthing entertaining to promote.

If the Reds do in fact to well next year, it would be great taking a game to Skilled Park or possibly up north. It's too much of a small population to provide much. If Australia recieves a FIFA World Cup, new stadiums will be created, as well as upgrades. So stadiums like Wooloongong, Central Cost, Newcastle, Blacktown, Adelaide Oval.

In fact, I wouldn't mind seeing a major Wallabies test match held in Adelaide, say one against South Africa. This is when the Adelaide Oval redevelopment is over though.

Aussie D

Desmond Connor (43)
Ruggo said:

Why wouldn't you want a rugby team in the fastest growing population in Australia. Western Sydney almost has as many people as Brisbane. A Western Sydney / NSW Country alliance would be a very good venture. Play out of Parra Stadium initially until it becomes too small to accomodate and then move to Homebush. Large Polynesian community is a plus as well.

P

PhucNgo

RugbyFuture said:
Jets said:

polar bears arent in the southern hemisphere :p

Maybe the Bipolar Bears with the same sponsor playing out of the Central Coast. Marriage of the old North Sydney crowd and Rays supporters. Second thoughts, it might have to be the Blue-Tongued Bipolar Bears.

Shaz

Frank Row (1)
http://www.keo.co.za/2010/05/27/hoskins-shatters-kings-hopes/

Some more confirmation of SA's intent to continue the expansion of Super Rugby- I reckon he's sick of hearing Cheeky Watson (did his parents really name him that??) in his ear all the time!

I think at the absolute most there's a case for 5 aussie teams (Adelaide, Gold Coast, Gosford, Newcastle and Western Sydney- in alphabetical order only) but realistically 2 or 3, in my opinion WS, Central Coast and GC. Adelaide is to rugby like Perth except crucially missing the expat Saffas.. don't think once a year Sevens makes up for that.

Regan Hoskins has ruled out any chance of the Southern Kings playing in the 2011 Super 15.

The Saru president said that a more realistic date for their inclusion would be 2013, when the competition is set to expand to 18 teams.

The Kings have suggested that Saru combine the Lions, who finished last on the log this season after losing all 13 of their matches, with the Cheetahs, who came 10th, in order to make room for an Eastern Cape franchise. The two unions played as the Cats from 1998 to 2005, and while they were mostly poor, they did reach the semi-finals in 2001.

‘It would take a miracle for [the Kings] to match the Lions if they played them tomorrow,’ Hoskins told Reuters. ‘The Lions have been pathetic but if the Kings look in the mirror they would understand there’s a massive gulf between the Super 14 and domestic Currie Cup rugby. For them to say they could beat the Lions is being absolutely disingenuous.

‘I don’t believe it’s in anybody’s best interests that the Kings play in the Super 15 in 2011.’

Kings director of rugby Alan Solomons slammed Saru for its stalling tactics.

‘There are players who will come tomorrow but not without there being Super Rugby,’ he said. ‘There has been a clear commitment by Saru to the franchise but we need to move ahead with this process. The delays are killing us.

‘When we played the British Lions [in 2009] we attracted 35 000 people. Had they given us a franchise right after the game, we would have been good to go from 2011.

‘We’ve got a brand-new Fifa World Cup stadium and great schools that produce great players, but those players have no aspirational pathway.

‘It’s just not fair, it’s crazy and it just doesn’t make sense if we do want to make rugby a game that is fully representative of our country.’

This entry was posted on Thursday, May 27th, 2010 at 5:38 am

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Well sure they had this all in mind when they decided the 15th team.

This will be Saru's escape goat for the Kings, but I think we might see some Argies teams joining when they expand.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
a pacific islander team would have to be considered as well, it was at one time mooted that they may play in townsville, would be much better than aus having 6 teams.

C

chief

waratahjesus said:
a pacific islander team would have to be considered as well, it was at one time mooted that they may play in townsville, would be much better than aus having 6 teams.

I'm sure the 6k crowds would be financially viable.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
chief said:
waratahjesus said:

I'm sure the 6k crowds would be financially viable.

22 pacific islanders = 5,700 imediate family and 48,000 first cus, dont think it would be a problem.
if the tournament is successful in the super 15 structure and tv revenue as well as game revenue grows over the next three years, using some of the money to develop the argies and islanders would be of great benifit to the game.
the better argument in a financial sense would be to include 5 or so island players in each of the then six australian franchises, but i would prefer them to have there own entity.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I've always been of the view that if we open more franchises more contracts will mean more spots for players. More spots for players means a lesser quality of player would be expected. Lesser quality players are cheaper. Cheaper players mean cheaper to run franchises meaning more populaces could viably support them.

So, if my theory holds (which it may not), if we open 5 or so franchises at once Suva, Western Sydney, North of Auckland is NZ and maybe a couple of places in Saffa (wherever the Kings/Spears were meant to be based) could maybe afford teams.

Not saying this would be a good thing. Just saying it may work.

C

chief

22 pacific islanders = 5,700 imediate family and 48,000 first cus, dont think it would be a problem.

Absolutely classic.

As for NZ having another team, sure it would have a great player base. But they (NZRU) surely couldn't afford it. Especially after losing an excess of 10 million dollars. Looks like a few adjustments will have to be made from next year regarding S14 teams

Status
Not open for further replies.