• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2024

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Hooper is only an injury and a poor selection decision from being in our most recent Wallabies squad. He's decided to go in another direction (not retire) but in the absence of a barnstorming emergence of a new contender at #7 in the next 4 rounds he should at least be a squaddie.
Hooper's form was also well down over the last two years, it's difficult to argue it would've improved not playing 15s. I'd be amazed to see him in a squad this year. Aside form McReight's excellent form, I'd argue all of Wright, Tizzano, Reimer and Scott have been in better form this year than Hooper was last year.

Maybe he'll return to super next year and put his hand up, but in the meantime we should look at players who are actually playing the game.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
McReight is a clear standout isn't he? Presumably M Hooper will suit up for the Marlins after the Olympics, before if he doesn't make it. I'd be including him in the 34 man squad once available if I was Joe Schmidt. I realise it's a lot different conditioning but nothing beats match fitness.
Simon Poidevin too.

Maybe we could pull in Matt Burke at fullback, Ella at 10 and Kearns at 2 while you’re on a roll.

Although our lineout throwing would still be shite.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Hooper's form was also well down over the last two years, it's difficult to argue it would've improved not playing 15s. I'd be amazed to see him in a squad this year. Aside form McReight's excellent form, I'd argue all of Wright, Tizzano, Reimer and Scott have been in better form this year than Hooper was last year.

Maybe he'll return to super next year and put his hand up, but in the meantime we should look at players who are actually playing the game.
I'm not arguing for him to be in the 23, just to be in the squad once he is available (which would likely be after the July tests), as indicated in the post you responded to. Wright and presumably one of Reimer or Scott haven't been playing 7 regularly either. Any inclusion would be contingent on him tearing it up for Manly and/or Australia A if/when he starts playing 15s again.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
KOB1987 - i am all for teams having veterans but I think the emphasis for something like that happens at a World Cup (which Eddie ignored)

I would be cycling thru as many players as possible in year 1 of Schmidt era. If a player performs then keep him in squad. But bringing in players that serve no purpose in 4 years time isn’t a philosophy I am too interested in.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Simon Poidevin too.

Maybe we could pull in Matt Burke at fullback, Ella at 10 and Kearns at 2 while you’re on a roll.

Although our lineout throwing would still be shite.
None of those examples are even remotely similar to Hooper. But I'll leave it alone now and see how it plays out.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
KOB1987 - i am all for teams having veterans but I think the emphasis for something like that happens at a World Cup (which Eddie ignored)

I would be cycling thru as many players as possible in year 1 of Schmidt era. If a player performs then keep him in squad. But bringing in players that serve no purpose in 4 years time isn’t a philosophy I am too interested in.
That part I am on board with, but helping with giving the team direction in the meantime is serving a purpose.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
I'm not arguing for him to be in the 23, just to be in the squad once he is available (which would likely be after the July tests), as indicated in the post you responded to. Wright and presumably one of Reimer or Scott haven't been playing 7 regularly either. Any inclusion would be contingent on him tearing it up for Manly and/or Australia A if/when he starts playing 15s again.
If he does it for Australia A sure, but I wouldn't be picking him for that either. Shute Shield is not in anyway a high enough level to prove anything.

To be clear I was and am arguing against having him in the squad at all. As far as the others go, Wright should be in the squad on from as it is and Reimer and Scott have both played a good bit of 7 this year sharing the roll. There's a big difference between a few hundred minutes (with more to come), and all the training and preparation for 15s that goes along with it, to not playing any 15s at all for over a year and having spent your time focused on training for and playing a different format. Even if we work through those I listed I'd be looking at guys like Wilkin and Gamble before Hooper.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Slipper out this weekend. Really worried about his ability to see out the year.

Who are our next ranked LHPs with Bell out?

Hodgman playing club. Is it Gibbon?
Yeah, Gibbon next. After that it's a bit of a flat field of Hodgman, Fa'agase, Kailea and Johson-Holmes. Maybe Hoopert could storm into contention now that he's back, but he'll be coming off very little rugby in the past 2 years. Not sure if there's anyone other than Johnson-Holmes currently playing tight head who could jump across, but we're not exactly blessed with depth there either.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Slipper out this weekend. Really worried about his ability to see out the year.

Who are our next ranked LHPs with Bell out?

Hodgman playing club. Is it Gibbon?
I haven't really been watching closely but has Hodgman not been going alright?

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
None of those examples are even remotely similar to Hooper. But I'll leave it alone now and see how it plays out.
To be honest I assumed this was a continuation of your posting from last week when, by your own admission, you threw Foley’s name up to get a response.

So I gave you one.

If it was genuinely supposed to be a serious suggestion then I’ll just leave it alone other than to say IMO Hooper’s time has passed.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
He's been pretty good when on the field, but in and out with injury. It's compounded by the fact that Ravai is killing it and Fa'agase is playing his best rugby, sot there's a bit of competition on that side of the scrum.
People have been putting Fa’agase up as an option. I didn’t think he was eligible and, to be honest, I’ve never thought he was much beyond an honest toiler. But he’s been very good this year IMO.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
To be honest I assumed this was a continuation of your posting from last week when, by your own admission, you threw Foley’s name up to get a response.

So I gave you one.

If it was genuinely supposed to be a serious suggestion then I’ll just leave it alone other than to say IMO Hooper’s time has passed.
Fair enough. It wasn't to get a response, I can't remember my exact explanation but it was because based on the discussion we have no clear standout candidate for #10 so I put Foley and Quade up for nomination to see what the attitude was, i.e. possibly better the devil you know. I then admitted I have NFI who we should be playing there. It's a similar situation though, more a mentor type role in the squad, and/or as a third option, not as the saviour.

Raytah

Allen Oxlade (6)
Smokey but I wouldn't be surprised if Rory Scott is brought into the squad as the backup 7, I've been quietly impressed by him over the last few weeks and he reminds me of a younger Josh van der Flier. Wouldn't surprise me if he manages to sneak into the squad if he holds the Brumbies 7 jersey for the rest of the season and they push deep into the finals.
Scott has been good, and I think is robust enough for test match rugby. I still prefer the option of Wright at 7 - opens up ability to pick Valetini/Wilson in the same pack, or Valetini/Skelton later in the year.

Raytah

Allen Oxlade (6)
People have been putting Fa’agase up as an option. I didn’t think he was eligible and, to be honest, I’ve never thought he was much beyond an honest toiler. But he’s been very good this year IMO.
Reds seem to favour him at THP for some reason bit can definitely do a job. Though at 33, unless a major injury crisis I'd be picking Slipper / Hodgeman / Schoupp / Vella % Kailea ahead of him.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Well Schoup must be in some doubt and the conversation started around Slipper seeming to struggle a bit with fitness this year. Not sure Vella is up there but maybe I just haven’t seen enough of him. Kailea looks decent, but I’m not sure I’d be rushing him in. Hodgeman v Fa’agase might depend on the pecking order over the balance of the season.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Reds seem to favour him at THP for some reason bit can definitely do a job. Though at 33, unless a major injury crisis I'd be picking Slipper / Hodgeman / Schoupp / Vella % Kailea ahead of him.
Aside from the fact that Schoupp and possibly Slipper now are injured I agree, except for Vella. He's a good prospect but he's not there yet. Throwing him at test match rugby would probably do more harm then good.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

Sef is starting at LHP for the Reds this weekend. There to nullify Nella.