• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

Im not sure what to make of this article, if you run a business and you can foresee a downturn in income you accordingly reduce your expenditure as well.. It was known for the majority of the 2013 season that HSBC were going to drop the sponsorships in 2014 so it can't be argued they were caught unaware.

For example, the signing of Jacques Potgieter who's wage I'm assuming is in the 300'000 - $400'000/year range wasn't a absolutely necessary signing,
He is a bonus to the squad but it wouldn't be amiss if he wasn't signed. Should that money have been saved or he is in an investment which will generate returns by taking the Tahs to the finals?

THE Waratahs' financial position is so unstable and precarious that rain on a couple of home-match nights this season might be all it takes to drive the Super Rugby franchise to the wall.
Waratahs chief executive Jason Allen told The Australian yesterday that while he did not subscribe to the panicky talk surrounding the NSW franchise, its finances were unsustainable. "Do we have enough cash to get through this season? At this point, yes," Allen said. "Can we sustain it? No."

He admitted that the Waratahs literally had nothing set aside for a rainy day, which will make for jittery officials on each of the side's eight home matches. "Sponsorships and match-day attendances are the big variables," he said. "We don't have any provisions (for rain-affected gates)."

Allen said the franchise's financial position was "50 per cent worse off" than at the corresponding period last year, primarily as a consequence of the loss of HSBC as full naming-rights sponsor.

The Waratahs subsequently have taken on Volvo as a front-of-jersey sponsor and have just signed an agreement with an as-yet-unannounced back-of-jersey sponsor while Allen has high hopes of also securing a sleeve sponsor in the near future.
But the sum of all the parts is still considerably less than the HSBC whole.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...t-breaking-point/story-e6frg7o6-1226813357724

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Im not sure what to make of this article, if you run a business and you can foresee a downturn in income you accordingly reduce your expenditure as well.. It was known for the majority of the 2013 season that HSBC were not going to drop the sponsorships in 2014 so it can't be argued they were caught unaware.

For example, the signing of Jacques Potgieter who's wage I'm assuming is in the 300'000 - $400'000/year range wasn't a absolutely necessary signing,
He is a bonus to the squad but it wouldn't be amiss if he wasn't signed. Should that money have been saved or he is in an investment which will generate returns by taking the Tahs to the finals?
What a frigging classic.
Oldest franchise (on one view) in the biggest city with the largest rugby base in the country and they have no money and are kind of hoping to shore things up in the next 2 weeks.
And anyone who has bought a 2014 jersey will not have the sleeve or back sponsors on it - a small point but there's some leverage in having people walking around with your logo, I assume.
This game is sure on the up and up.

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
Jesus... at least on field's looking up but if its another year were the Tah's Hype alot but dont show up looks like an ARU bailout.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
This is the Tahs media release about Mehrtens

Tahs back All Black legend Mehrtens to kick start season

All Black legend Andrew Mehrtens has joined the NSW Waratahs coaching staff as kicking coach.

Now working in Sydney, the Canterbury player who kicked his way into the record books and earned a reputation as one New Zealand's best ever first five eighths has been brought on board by Head Coach Michael Cheika to work with the team throughout the 2014 season.

Born in Durban in 1973, Mehrtens moved to New Zealand as a youngster, grew up in Christchurch where he followed in the footsteps of his grandfather and father, who both played for Canterbury and New Zealand. Mehrtens debuted for the All Blacks in the 1995 season, scoring 28 points against Canada.

In 1999 Mehrtens kicked a record nine penalties in a Bledisloe Cup Test against Australia and went on to enjoy a 12-year career at first-class level. He remains the second all-time highest points scorer for New Zealand.
Mehrtens played a key role in the Crusaders’ three title wins from 1998 - 2000 and again when they won the Super 12 in 2001 and 2005.

As the NSW Waratahs prepare for their first hit out of the 2014 season against the Rebels in Albury this Saturday, the NSW Waratahs, www.waratahs.com.au’s Russell Fairfax caught up with the kicking maestro after his first session with the Tahs...

Q: Did it take some convincing to get you on board with the Waratahs?
A: It actually didn’t, I enjoyed my time playing alongside Daryl Gibson and I’ve known Michael Cheika for a long time since I played against him in Italy. I like both those guys, I think they’re awesome coaches and I like what they seem to be trying to doing here as well. It’s just a pleasure to be involved and not working full time in rugby now, I’ve actually got a passion for it.

Q: What do you think the boys back in New Zealand would think of you helping the Australian teams?
A: I don’t know, I think it’s one of those things Australians and New Zealanders and to a certain extent South Africans do pretty well is sort of export their knowledge. Within the context of trying to put back, I’m here in Sydney at the moment and like I say have been very well received and I’m enjoying being involved in rugby on a part time basis and so, it’s good fun and if I can do anything to help anyone enjoy similar experiences and a similar enjoyment to what I had in rugby then great.

Q: What do you think the reaction would be if the Waratahs got up by a penalty goal on the bell to win the Super Rugby Title over a New Zealand team?
A: I’d be chuffed for them, obviously I spent a long time at the Crusaders and I still support the Crusaders but I’m here working with these guys and as people and as rugby players I want them to get the best out of themselves. I’d be delighted if and when they do well this season.

Q: Alright Andrew, what’s the key to being on target with the boot?
A: Everyone’s different in goal-kicking, it’s about finding out what works best for the individual, whether it’s to do with how you train, or when you train, or what you’re doing technically in that or just your attitude, your mentality and your attitude towards kicking.

Everyone’s different and it’s about knowing the guys and working with them in their own context and getting them driving their own thing, driving their own training and their own kind of self evaluation and stuff like that, and enjoying themselves. At the end of the day there are some pressure moments but goal-kicking, like anything in sport, should be about going hard and enjoying it. If I can do anything to help these guys achieve that then great.

Q: Now you may not have had a lot of Australians cheering for you in the past but if you can get these boys piloting them over then you could be a hero over here in Australia as well.
A: I tell you what, if they’re knocking it over regularly every week then they’re the heroes and I’m happy with that. I’m just here to try and put in place a bit of structure for them and have a bit of an independent voice you know? They’re used to their coaches talking to them four or five days a week so just to have someone different, hopefully that’s helpful for them.

Q: Did you feel the pressure?
A: Yes, especially the closer ones. Everyone expects you to get the closer ones. Out wide or a long way out from the posts, is almost ready to excuse you because they know it’s difficult, so sometimes like I say, those easier ones have the most sort of pressure on them because you know you’re supposed to get them.

Every time you run out there’s pressure to perform and that’s good, the first pressure comes from your mates around you that you want to do your best for them and for the team, so that’s what these guys feel and that’s part of the buzz of sport and yes, I loved it.

Q: Despite retiring you just can’t get it out of your system can you?
A: Well I did for a little while; I got out of it which was nice. I’m working, my CEO in town is Phil Kearns so obviously there’s a strong rugby connection there. I’m really enjoying being part of a kind of normal working life, it means that I can treat rugby sort as a hobby or a sport or a pastime and have that balance. I’m just chuffed to be back in it I’ve spent a few months doing not much in rugby.

The French experience led to me wanting a bit of a break from it. But from what I’ve seen and from what I’ve heard, these guys are working bloody hard and you know, they’re going to climb into this season so I’m looking forward to it.

Andrew Mehrtens’ Records
·281 first class games for 3,178 points, 108 games for Canterbury for 1,056 points, 87 for the Crusaders and 981 points, 72 games for the All Blacks and 967 points in 70 tests.
· All Blacks’ second highest points scorer with 967 points (7t, 169c, 188p, 10dg)
· Fastest player in the world to reach 100; 200; 600; 700; 800 and 900 points in Test matches
  • 167 Test conversions - most by any player in Test rugby
  • 20 or more points in a Test match scored on 13 occasions
  • Twice kicked nine penalty goals in a Test match
  • 209 points v South Africa - most by any international player against any country
  • 202 points v Australia - second most by any international player against any country
  • 108 points v Scotland - most by any international player
  • 28 points v Canada - most points (at that time) by any player anywhere on international debut
  • 33 points v Ireland - most by any player in a Test match against Ireland
  • Passed John Kirwan's record for number of Test matches (63) by an All Black back with his appearance against England in 2002
  • 1999 New Zealand Player of the Year
  • Only player with more than 300 Tri-Nations points

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Jesus. at least on field's looking up but if its another year were the Tah's Hype alot but dont show up looks like an ARU bailout.

It's definitely going to be crucial for the Tahs to get on a roll early in the season.

Whilst Sydney sporting crowds are unbelievably fickle, they're also pretty good at jumping on bandwagons.

If they can convert the hype from just existing amongst rugby fans to the broader sporting public then hopefully they'll end up with some good crowds.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
From the outside looking in, you Tah fans seem to have a genuine belief this year. You have good reason to. The pattern is there to support it also.

2010 - Break out year for the Reds. 2011 - Finals (and the title which I must mention as a Reds supporter :) )

2012 - Break out year for the Brumbies. 2013 - Finals footy

2013 - Break out year for the Tahs. 2014 - ??? The vibe seems to be around the franchise for them to continue the pattern.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
I was told he was going to be helping out with kicking @ Easts - do you know if this will impact on his ability to do that?

It would only be part-time. Mehrtens works in the city for financial planners and his boss gets a bit of time off to do other stuff; so there's no reason why he shouldn't too.

His CEO is Phil Kearns.

The firm has just been sold; so you never know they might both be out of a job but the new owners have said they will keep the "brand" of the company.

Badger

Bill McLean (32)
Im not sure what to make of this article, if you run a business and you can foresee a downturn in income you accordingly reduce your expenditure as well.. It was known for the majority of the 2013 season that HSBC were going to drop the sponsorships in 2014 so it can't be argued they were caught unaware.

I think Allen is a “dead man walking” as CEO of the Tahs. Some of it is out of his control, but he has been in charge as the Tahs position deteriorated on and off the field. He has been in the role since October 2010 so he shouldn't be surprised no money has been set aside for “a rainy day”. The thing that may save the Tahs this year is if they earn a home final which will generate some much needed revenue.

I reckon they would have had an inkling that HSBC may not re-sign as sponsor towards the end of 2012 since the announcement was made in early 2013. So Tahs admin should have had plenty of time to consider various scenarios and budget accordingly.

Also, it may have been helpful if they recruited a Commercial & Marketing Manager with local knowledge and experience rather than someone from the UK. Then they may not have needed to pay $$$ to hire an external consultant to help find sponsors. They don’t seem to have done a very good job if they have only announced Volvo, so far, as a new sponsor just weeks out from the start of the season.

IIRR, the Canterbury clothing contract ends this year so it would be interesting to see what happens there.

Reactions: BPC

Crashy

Colin Windon (37)
Love to know who the back of jersey sponsor is. Now all we need is a sleeve sponsor, Super Rugby Sponsor and a training jersey sponsor.

ShtinaTina

Alex Ross (28)
I reckon they would have had an inkling that HSBC may not re-sign as sponsor towards the end of 2012 since the announcement was made in early 2013. So Tahs admin should have had plenty of time to consider various scenarios and budget accordingly.

I think you're right about this one.

T

TOCC

I don't quite understand how any CEO can stand there and say that they have nothing left in the bank, the current spending is unsustainable and that they haven't factored in external factors like weather impacting on crowd numbers.... yet have no solution rather then making the finals..He is dam right when he says it's risky..

If the Waratahs were a listed company there would be investors calling for his head, ASIC would be investigating him and the share price would be bottoming out.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
<snip>

If the Waratahs were a listed company there would be investors calling for his head, ASIC would be investigating him and the share price would be bottoming out.

I'd like to think that us tragics are the equivalent of shareholders in Tahs Pty Ltd. There was a fair bit of calling for heads to roll at the end of 2012 and several of the board members fell on their swords at that time, along with the coach - who landed a nice gig out west.

Perhaps there was not enough sword falling at that time.

In terms of the share price bottoming out, just look at some of the 2012 and 2013 crowds. "potential investors" have voted with their feet and effectively driven the share price down.

Sydney crowds are as fickle as everything, quick to jump on winning streak bandwagons, and even quicker to jump off the same bandwagon when the team starts losing. It must frustrate the hell out of the strategists, but that is why they are paid the big bucks.

Our game needs to be run by some commercially savvy executives who are in tune with the big end of town. Former players who know which wine is best matched with what food, and can perform the appropriate old school secret handshake and little else, have demonstrated a complete inability to manage the game for long term benefit. Put them out to pasture, and only call them in for the occasional jumper presentation and end of season awards night.

Status
Not open for further replies.