• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
Tilse has been at the Waratahs since late 2004.
That's 8 years in their system and that's enough.
Sometimes Uni don't even start him when he's available for club games.
He does not have have the technique or aggression to make a meaningful contribution against strong NZ or SA provinces.
It's not about holding a scrum up, it's about gaining a competitive advantage and he's not the man.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
For his own sake he should hope they let him go. Talk about mismanagement. Grant it his pass can be suspect but to go from the top try scorer and absolute tyro last year to an average player this year? How does this happen?

Sharks can do well to get him I reckon. Suits their direct style of play to a T.

There's that word again. :)

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
Betham and Stanford will join the Waratahs full contract list also Tilse has resigned for the 2013 season. Pretorius seems to be heading back home.

Now with Betham supposedly contracted in 2013 does that push Pakalani out of the squad ? EPS contracts will be more clear-cut come closer to October.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Interesting. Just a few more players to be finalised, then.

Tilse presumably re-signed - not resigned.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
There's that word again. :)

And being misused, too.

Maybe they do this, but surely Sarel just needs to spend a shit load of time working exclusively on his pass. I feel like the Tahs just completely mismanaged the 9 situation and what they have to show for it is no first choice option and a rightly disgruntled marquee signing.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Maybe they do this, but surely Sarel just needs to spend a shit load of time working exclusively on his pass. I feel like the Tahs just completely mismanaged the 9 situation and what they have to show for it is no first choice option and a rightly disgruntled marquee signing.

I feel like half our halfback woes were caused by Barnes being unable to kick. We started picking McKibbin for his goalkicking and whilst his kicking was fantastic I feel it really muddied the waters over our halfback selection.

It really didn't give Pretorius the chance to get some momentum and cohesion with his new side. He just spent a lot of time sitting on the bench. It's not like he was getting to play club rugby in the interim to keep him fresh.

I really think we squandered a great opportunity with Pretorius.

I haven't seen anything particularly great from Hart so I have no reason to doubt that McKibbin will be our starting 9 and goalkicker next season assuming Pretorius moves on.

Hopefully we can find a marquee player who fits into the team well in 2013 and not stuff them up like we did this year.

Reactions: BPC

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Aren't we only allowed one marquee player?

I can only assume that Pakalani qualifies as Australian. He has only played U19 international rugby so he certainly hasn't been capped anywhere to exclude him from being Australian.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
I feel like half our halfback woes were caused by Barnes being unable to kick. We started picking McKibbin for his goalkicking and whilst his kicking was fantastic I feel it really muddied the waters over our halfback selection.

It really didn't give Pretorius the chance to get some momentum and cohesion with his new side. He just spent a lot of time sitting on the bench. It's not like he was getting to play club rugby in the interim to keep him fresh.

I haven't seen anything particularly great from Hart so I have no reason to doubt that McKibbin will be our starting 9 and goalkicker next season assuming Pretorius moves on.

Hopefully we can find a marquee player who fits into the team well in 2013 and not stuff them up like we did this year.

I think you're right about the goal kicking. But it does say something not very good about team planning if there is no one - literally, no one - in the first choice 15 who can kick goals apart from Barnes. I also think that fucking about with the halfback for non-halfback reasons is not smart. Such a pivotal position and one that requires comfort and cohesion, two things that can only be built up over time.

rugbyisfun

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Apparently the coaching dynamics are foley and Bowen doing their own thing. Gaffney was inserted to mentor due to foley/Bowen lack of experience, so they both just snub him and keep him out of the loop

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Aren't we only allowed one marquee player?

I can only assume that Pakalani qualifies as Australian. He has only played U19 international rugby so he certainly hasn't been capped anywhere to exclude him from being Australian.

you're allowed one full on marquee (never allowed to play for aus) and one developing foreign player who isn't eligible atm but can qualify for the ARU after residency

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)

While I generally agree with everything you say I do wonder about the Tahs need to sign a marquee player: surely they wouldn't do it just because they could? On paper they have about 5 or 6 marquee players so 1 more doesn't seem to be what will make the difference. I guess in the end it would depend on who was available: why couldnt Dan Carter come over and teach us all something?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Apparently the coaching dynamics are foley and Bowen doing their own thing. Gaffney was inserted to mentor due to foley/Bowen lack of experience, so they both just snub him and keep him out of the loop
So...that hasnt worked...perhaps if they try Gaffney snubbing them?

rugbyisfun

Jimmy Flynn (14)
So.that hasnt worked.perhaps if they try Gaffney snubbing them?
Its a 'gun to the head' situation apparently . Foley/Bowen told that if Gaffney goes there will be changes. Sounds pretty disfunctional really. We seem to hear more from Bowen rather than Gaffney who is the 'Snr Assistant Coach'.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
When was the last time we heard something from inside Tahland that didn't sound fucking bizarre?

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
The talk that Chris Webb is heading over there seems definite. I wonder if it's him pushing to have a few friends with him

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
The talk that Chris Webb is heading over there seems definite. I wonder if it's him pushing to have a few friends with him
WJ - sounds like GG is convinced he has the scoop on this: whats your take?
Don't be shocked if you see Waratahs coach Michael Foley wearing a Western Force tracksuit top shortly. Force sources have told Sunday Maul that Foley is about to be offered a three-year deal to leave the Waratahs and take over in Perth. A Force senior player has been heavily involved in this audacious approach and Foley has shown interest. Foley's possible departure from Moore Park will open the door for Michael Cheika to be the next Waratahs coach. And our snouts say Cheika is very interested in coaching the Tahs. Who knows, maybe Waratahs team manager Chris Webb, who suddenly left the troubled organisation on Friday, could also end up at the Force? Apart from Cheika, the Waratahs might look at a coaching team of Sydney University mentor Todd Louden and Eastwood's John Manenti.
Read more:

If its true its actually the most troubling outcome for the Tahs - they have reportedly decided to keep Foley (despite strong views held by many that they should not) and yet he will snub them: a bizarre twist demonstrating, I think, how stuffed the management in Tahland is.

Status
Not open for further replies.