• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Springboks v Wallabies, Newlands, September 28 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Holmes isn't up to test level right now. The Reds front row vs the Lions was better with Anae (LH) and Owen (TH), it got smacked around with Holmes (TH) and Daley (LH), and then Holmes still struggled after Daley went off. Also, from memory the Reds scrum struggled on the LH side when Holmes was LH, Slipper's TH side was mainly fine during the season.

Ryan struggled in the scrums in the back half of the season as well for the Tahs. Slipper went better at TH for the Reds than Ryan (in my view) and he had a weaker scrummaging pack around him. Slipper's problem for me is concentration.

Right now, I can't think of any props fit in Aus that would be better than what we have right now in the squad for scrummaging, unfortunately. In no order, the best looseheads were Robinson and Sio and they are there, the best tightheads were Slipper, Alexander and Kepu and they are there (although Slipper is LH, and he's been fine at it compared to the TH side).

And Palmer, well, he came back too early from injury and really struggled in the scrums at the back end of the season. Alexander was a rock at TH, compared to Palmer who was on roller skates at times in the last couple of Brumbies games.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
The only shit player in that 23 is Steenkamp. Surely there's better props in SA? Kirchner has played well lately.

Actually Jannie Du Plessis is pretty shit as well.

No there is no better LH backup in SA yet. There are many youngsters but it's a safety selection. Personally I would leave Coenie at LH and have Adrianse as TH backup though but Meyer is adamant about converting Coenie to TH but has has Os Durandt's ear on the matter so there must be some sense in there.

We will see the likes of Ginga from the Stormers step up on the EOYT but for the RC he has gone with experience. You canlt just drag youngsters into the RC for the hell of it. How'd Sio go for you guys?

And the fact that you think Jannie is shit suggest to me you have not watched a single rugby match he played in this year. Not one.

I have been a big critic of Janie but jeez he has come good this year. Has not been dominated in a single game and has been the form 3 in the comp.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
No there is no better LH backup in SA yet. There are many youngsters but it's a safety selection. Personally I would leave Coenie at LH and have Adrianse as TH backup though but Meyer is adamant about converting Coenie to TH but has has Os Durandt's ear on the matter so there must be some sense in there.

We will see the likes of Ginga from the Stormers step up on the EOYT but for the RC he has gone with experience. You canlt just drag youngsters into the RC for the hell of it. How'd Sio go for you guys?

And the fact that you think Jannie is shit suggest to me you have not watched a single rugby match he played in this year. Not one.

I have been a big critic of Janie but jeez he has come good this year. Has not been dominated in a single game and has been the form 3 in the comp.
Malherbe will be back from injury next week. Regarding the packs in SA, Lions dominating in the CC. CJ vd Linde is in good form and Bees also look great last week. WP not far behind them, Ginga doing great but he and Malherbe maybe one more year before they'll start pay dividends. Pat Cilliers also is good for WP. Myself also like the look of Scarra Ntebeni, grow in each match and is very handy at the breakdowns.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Paarl I am the official president of the Malherbe fan club, Australian chapter. Big hopes for this guy.

Zander

Ron Walden (29)

That is hilarious. The only guy Jannie can tackle is the other TH prop.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Paarl I am the official president of the Malherbe fan club, Australian chapter. Big hopes for this guy.
He has been out now for a long time. Here is hoping he and Schalk get going in no time. Cant wait to see them back on the field.

Zander

Ron Walden (29)
Except he's not very good at scrums. Don't take face value on anything he did vs Australia. Apart from the first scrum vs New Zealand the SA scrum was worse.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Except he's not very good at scrums. Don't take face value on anything he did vs Australia. Apart from the first scrum vs New Zealand the SA scrum was worse.
Ja mostly with 7 men. ;) The All Black scrum is only good when Crockette and Franks get away with hands on the floor (not binding), scrumming down and all kinds of silly tricks. Technical Jannie is a good scrummer, not dominant by any means but beast will provide that from the other side. If they pack down with Battleship, they sure can dominate up front against any frontrow.

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
You really are a muppet Qwerty. Did you watch the Argentinian games?

Also, not sure if you noticed but we were actually short of a forward in the scrums for 50 mins against NZ (who have long been considered one of the best scrumming teams in the world)? There was the little BDP vs Dan Carter incident - you may have missed it cos not much has been written about it since. At no stage when it was 8 vs 8 in the forwards did the NZ scrum dominate. So safe to assume then that your THP is doing a half decent job.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
Fuck it, I like this team. It's nice and large, we have a very solid back three under the high ball, the ability to control field position at halfback, Horwill back and the whole squad being written off and told they're shit, Link is shit, we've no chance.

The Bokos smashed us last time in Brisbane and are focussed on revenge against the kiwi's. I'm smelling an ambush, and I reckon we're going to win this.

Wallabies by < 5.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
And Palmer, well, he came back too early from injury and really struggled in the scrums at the back end of the season. Alexander was a rock at TH, compared to Palmer who was on roller skates at times in the last couple of Brumbies games.

Ash, the memory is struggling these days, but I don't recall Palmer playing the last couple of games this year. I am sure that either Benny A or JP Smith was on the TH side and Scott Sio was LH at the end of the season. I was pretty sure that Dan remained on the injured list to the end of the season. Would be surprised if otherwise but willing to be corrected.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Oh god I just saw that Garces will be referee..

Here's to hoping he doesn't butcher this one like he did USA v Italy..

Richo

John Thornett (49)
This is a game where I want to see pride, energy, commitment and determination above all else. Some basic skills would be nice oto.

It's a huge ask to win in Cape Town. But we need to become a side that faces such challenges with grit and teamwork.

Status
Not open for further replies.