• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Hurricanes vs Rebels Rnd 14 Super Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Beale off with a shoulder injury (according to commentary) but he didn't look too concerned sitting on the sidelines. Huxley off because he was having a nightmare.

At the current scoring rate the Rebels could ship close to 80 points today. 2 terrible defences and although there's plenty of tries it's too onesided to be entertaining.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
So disappointing the Rebs defense and kicking game could revert to the worst of their past standards. Good skills are not a habit for this team yet.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
And btw the Reds v Canes exhibition match in mid-June should be a cracker, subject a bit to what players each team have away playing Tests.

Tordah

Dave Cowper (27)
anyone remember Motu Matu'u's hit on Hodgson earlier this season? He pulled off two of those in the space of three minutes on Gerrard and Mitchell. Huge tackles.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Some really big hits causing a couple of injuries for the Rebs. A period of scrappy play is keeping the score down for the Rebels.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Oh dear is an understatement. There are some Rebels players in that backline who I don't understand getting a start.

I hope Lachlan Mitchell is OK, I never like seeing someone get stretchered off. I do believe and said so last year that he is not Super quality. He is very weak in defence and has been hidden away a bit at 12 but he was seriously shown up last week when he was moved to the wing and again this week.

The piggies also decided to take the week off from their performances over the last couple.

A truly dreadful performance that should be played to them every week for the rest of the season and as pre-season preparation, with electric shocks administered every time they don't pay attention.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Terrible performance by the Rebels not really anything good you can say about it apart from the first few minutes. Plenty of injuries to be assessed too.

One good thing for the Reds is that the Rebels should really be up for it against the Brumbies in an attempt to make amends for today's performance.

maxdacat

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I didn't catch the game but heard about those tackles:
anyone remember Motu Matu'u's hit on Hodgson earlier this season? He pulled off two of those in the space of three minutes on Gerrard and Mitchell. Huge tackles.

here's the footage:

nasty looking stuff....is it as the kiwi commentators say "perfectly legal"? If so, looks like you can intentionally head but an opponent during a tackle to try and knock them out.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
No citing would suggest that the tackles were deemed legal. I think with the head first one it may have been a combination of Matu'u springing up to tackle and Gerard's change of direction that lead to the head connecting with his chin. I don't think it was intentional to catch him with the head.

Also Matu'u was staggering a bit after that one. It was a nice touch by his team mate to come over and pat him on the head for the tackle when clearly he was pretty tender there after the tackle.

The 2nd tackle was just a big hit from what I saw and Matu'u actions afterwards would suggest that he's not a dirty player. The fact he came from a blind spot meant that Mitchell had no chance to brace for the tackle.

As to the possibility of players adopting a style of tackling where they do intentionally lead with the head I would hope that if it became prevalent that there would be a crackdown similar to the one on tap tackling.

Da Munch

Chris McKivat (8)
As to the possibility of players adopting a style of tackling where they do intentionally lead with the head I would hope that if it became prevalent that there would be a crackdown similar to the one on tap tackling.

I think one person adopting this technique is enough to crack down or change the rules - two Super rugby players in hospital, I have enough trouble convincing the wife that it's not that dangerous for the son.

My shite memory remembers Palu doing something very similar - shoulder hit to the head (the second one of Motu's, i.e not the head butt) and he got pinged for no arms, but the replay showed he did use his arms (I think the commentators mentioned it as well as me noticing it), I thought at the time it was fair enough as it was a dangerous tackle as were both of Motu's.

Happy

Alex Ross (28)
Last season Ita Vaea was cited and suspended for a tackle that knocked out Digby Ioane. I'm still not sure why, as to me it looked like he used his arms in a legitimate tackle and Digby ducked into it, causing Vaea's shoulder to connect with his head.

I remember Greg Martin screaming that Vaea should be suspended for the season.

Anyway, that tackle was no worse than either of those two tackles, and probably better than the one on Gerrard.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
From memory, Matfield was suspended for a similar tackle as Vaea previously. The (huge) difference was they use a swinging arm that collected a player in the head.

Status
Not open for further replies.