Foreign Exchanges – Round 4 Super Rugby

Foreign Exchanges – Round 4 Super Rugby

Welcome to Round 4 of FOREIGN EXCHANGES, the place to go for a run down on what happened in this week’s non-Aussie Super Rugby matches.

Round 4 at a glance

  • The Sharks winning streak came to an end with a draw with the Bulls.
  • The Crusaders big win over the Kings would have boosted their confidence before hitting the road for their next three matches.
  • The Lions beat the Cheetahs five tries to three in a free-flowing affair.

Bulls 16 – Sharks 16

by Jack Colley

The Sharks came in as slight favourites after three wins to begin the season, however, the Bulls started best thanks to fullback Warrick Gelant’s boot and running game.

The Bulls early ascendancy was rewarded with three points after a try went begging. A crafty Francois Brummer (10) drop goal was followed by an excellent set piece try worked by Brummer and the supporting Gelant for a thirteen-point lead.

A monster 50-metre penalty on halftime from Joe Pietersen brought the visitors to within a try, with the Bulls leading 13 – 6.

The Sharks struck first ten minutes into the second, with a try to Willie le Roux (15).

A successful penalty two minutes later nudged the visitors ahead, and an arm wrestle ensued until the 79th minute when the Bulls were awarded a penalty on halfway for offside.

A monster nudge from Tian Schoeman (replacement 10) pulled the Bulls level and this should have been game over.

But an ineffective Bulls clean out and excellent position over the ball gave the Sharks a penalty in front of the sticks to win the game.

Alas, Pietersen inexplicably nudged the ball wide to miss the game-winning penalty, and a draw was the result from Loftus.

ESPN match details here


Crusaders 57 – Kings 24

by Brent Craig ‘waiopehu oldboy’

The Kings weren’t expected to offer much resistance, but an early penalty and well-judged intercept try to winger Luzuko Vulindlu saw them take a deserved 10 – 0 lead inside the opening 15 minutes.

The remainder of the half belonged to the Crusaders, however, with tries to wingers Nemani Nadolo and Johnny McNicholl, hooker Ben Funnell, and a (rather questionable) second to Nadolo restoring the Crusaders fortunes.

Kings prop Schalk Ferreira left the field mid-half and failed a concussion test after an ugly Sam Whitelock tackle that should probably have seen him fronting the judiciary.

HT: Crusaders 29 – 10 Kings

Any hopes the Kings may have had of getting back into the contest were dashed by early second-half tries to Crusaders 10 Richie Mo’unga and halfback Mitchell Drummond.

The Kings pulled back to 17 – 43 before Volavola’s conversion of replacement winger Jone Macilai’s try brought up the Crusaders half-century and all but guaranteed a try-scoring bonus point.

Both benches were emptied for the final quarter and the match lost some shape as a result, but the final score line was a fair reflection of the gulf that exists between the Kings and the better sides in the competition.

ESPN match details here


Lions 39 – Cheetahs 22

by ‘qwerty51’

A dominant first half powered the Lions to victory in a high scoring affair in Johannesburg.

Both teams had to travel back to SA for the Lions first home match and the two teams delivered on their potent attacking form.

The Cheetahs had some early moments and crossed the line, but were brought back for a forward pass.

The Lions had the ball for most the 2nd quarter and the Cheetahs started dropping off tackles. This allowed the Lions to score three tries, all to backs, and went into the break up 24 – 3.

The Cheetahs could feel a little unlucky to have only have three points on the board at the break after all their attacking endeavours.

The Lions started right where they left off, scoring off the first attack of the half after some powerful forward carries by the pack.

The Cheetahs dug in and fought back with three nicely worked tries of their own to make the score a little respectable.

Overall, it was a strong win for the Lions and the Cheetahs will have to work on their backline defence in the coming weeks after conceding their third score over 30.

ESPN match details here


Chiefs 30 – Jaguares 26

by Marcelo Cardozo

The Chiefs beat the Jaguares in the first Super Rugby game in Argentina.

The teams swapped penalties but the Argentines were dominating and scored a rolling maul try to Creevy. With no conversion the score was 8-3 after twelve minutes.

The Chiefs replied when McNicol flew through the air and scored. Three minutes later the Jaguares lost a lineout five metres out and McKenzie dotted down for a tally of 13-8 to the Chiefs at 20 minutes.

But Los Jaguares were dominating the scrum and Sanchez kicked a penalty; then another after Kerr-Barlow was binned.

Half time score: Jaguares 14 – Chiefs 13

After a Chiefs’ penalty, another great run by Ngatai set up a try to Lowe at 52 minutes. Chiefs 23-14 after the conversion.

There was no more scoring until Landajo when over with nine minutes remaining; the Jaguares were within two points 21-23.

The crowd went wild after the restart because Isa broke tackles after an offload by De la Fuente and Moroni scored for the home team to lead 26-23.

But the Chiefs spoilt the party with three minutes remaining when Tamanivalu and Cruden combined for a try to Weber. McKenzie converted and the Chiefs won a tight game 30-26.

ESPN match details here


Round 5 – crucial matches

Hurricanes v Kings – Friday 25 March: The Hurricanes will be looking to win well at home when they face the lowly ranked Kings and make a move into the top third of the table.
Sharks v Crusaders – Saturday 26 March: The Crusaders face a big challenge playing the number 1 ranked team in the first of three matches on the road.


An ex-piggy who once played with lots of passion and not much panache, with the bravehearts, beasts and blue giants.

More in Rugby