• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wembley attracts record rugby crowd

Status
Not open for further replies.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
A world record crowd for a club rugby union match of 83,761 turned up to watch English Premiership leaders Harlequins beat London rivals Saracens 24-19 at Wembley Stadium.

The previous record was 82,208 for a 2009 European Cup quarter-final between Leinster and Munster at Croke Park in Dublin.

Harlequins and Saracens attracted a crowd of 82,000 earlier this season at Twickenham.

From ABC Grandstand

Impressive. By all reports it was a pretty good game as well.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
I thought there was a Bledisloe game in the early 2000's that had a higher attendance than this? Before the seating capacity of Stadium Australia was reduced?

kronic

John Solomon (38)
I thought there was a Bledisloe game in the early 2000's that had a higher attendance than this? Before the seating capacity of Stadium Australia was reduced?
For a club game, that's obviously a test match.

C

Cave Dweller

There were still 23000 spectators dressed as empty seats.

Riptide

Dave Cowper (27)
Watched the game and there were plenty of empty seats as Cave Dweller pointed out. Still, it was good entertainment with Saracens banging away in the late stages at 14 men, and even 13 men for a minute or two. The Quins scrum held good and their defense was outstanding.

This Saracens team was built by SA Brendan Venter. I'm not sure who does what at Saracens but Mark McCall is apparently Dir of Rugby with Andy Farrell being Head coach, while forwards coach is Alex Sanderson. Venter is the man, by all acounts. They play an extraordinarily well-organized game with a savage work rate. They are fascinating to watch, but not flash at all. A great kick-chase game with a very fast defensive line. I'd love to see what Venter could do in the S15 or even at Test level; he had his players running through brick walls for him.

C

Cave Dweller

Wembley is such a great stadium and just setting foot out on it you share memories with hundreds of sport players. Although it might be another sport most grew up with them as sporting heroes and the Atmosphere is electric.

Anyone heard the storiy of the King and the Australian speech therapist which started at Wembley basically?

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Well done to Sarries for attracting such a large crowd. When they tried the same thing a few years ago, also against quins, they only got 47,000 people. Impressive growth by them over the last few years. I'm sure the fact both teams are in the hunt for the premiership play offs boosted the crowd.

On the game itself Sarries shot themselves in the foot a little by moving the game and losing home advantage. Also it must be worrying that they couldn't overhaul Quins who spent the last 15 minutes with 13 and 14 men at various points due to yellow cards received. The losing bonus point just about kept them in 2nd but ultimately might cost them a home semi final.

Status
Not open for further replies.