• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs v Rebels, RD3 SR2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I put the Tahs games in my Outlook calendar pretty early on.

It provides moments of pleasure amongst all the meetings and reminders to complete my timesheets.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
So i booked flights and accommodation in November as it was disappearing very quickly because of Mardi Gras. Anyone want free flights from Melbourne to Sydney and 1 nights accommodation @ the Cooper Lodge hotel? These are now useless to me.

No more following the Rebels around the country for me if this is what to expect.

Rebels needed to say no to the change, they know there fans had already planned trips even if it is painfull.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Rebels needed to say no to the change, they know there fans had already planned trips even if it is painfull.

That might be good in theory but I don't think you understand how close Allianz Stadium is to the Mardi Gras road closures as well as Mardi Gras closing down the bus access to the Moore Park precinct.

I would say that it is nigh on impossible for the rugby to take place at Allianz Stadium on the same night as Mardi Gras without it turning into an absolute clusterfuck with people unable to get to the ground.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
That might be good in theory but I don't think you understand how close Allianz Stadium is to the Mardi Gras road closures as well as Mardi Gras closing down the bus access to the Moore Park precinct.

I would say that it is nigh on impossible for the rugby to take place at Allianz Stadium on the same night as Mardi Gras without it turning into an absolute clusterfuck with people unable to get to the ground.

Your right I don't know how close they are. What I do know is that it is now near impossible for me to go as some of my colleagues already have the Friday off for Sound wave. Options that make more sense is to have the Reds v Canes game earlier as they would only be changing one fixture and tv ratings in NZ. Gives people who can't book time off on the Friday a chance to do rush to Sydney after work and get there on time.

Or simply have a Sunday afternoon kick off (3 or 4pm), most people would only need to change one flight and have already got accommodation sorted for Saturday night. Could stay Sunday night or catch late flights home. This makes a lot more sense as it's not disrupting more than one fixture.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Or simply have a Sunday afternoon kick off (3 or 4pm), most people would only need to change one flight and have already got accommodation sorted for Saturday night. Could stay Sunday night or catch late flights home. This makes a lot more sense as it's not disrupting more than one fixture.

Rightly or wrongly travelling fans are fairly low on the list of concerns when rescheduling games.

The Sunday arvo timeslot is the worst for ratings (it's a bad viewing time in SA), which unfortunately matters a fair bit. The Tahs wanted to play almost every home game on Sunday arvo, but were knocked back by SANZAR.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It's pretty mind boggling that no one mentioned that Allianz Stadium shouldn't be used on Saturday 2 March. Aside from avoiding NRL/AFL/A-League clashes, it is the only major event in Sydney that can cause a conflict.

This fixture was on Mardi Gras weekend last year too. Except it was on the Friday night and in Melbourne :D

Your suggestion of moving the game to the Sunday makes plenty of sense.

jermano

Ted Fahey (11)
Rightly or wrongly travelling fans are fairly low on the list of concerns when rescheduling games..

It would be nice to know this before hand. I have already paid for this trip. I have already paid for the Perth trip in May. The plan was to attend all Rebels Australia games this year, this has left a very bitter taste in my mouth.
If the Rebels want fans to tour information is key Kronic has stated he got a release, I am a member where was mine? In the future should i forget about attending these games as the Rebels don't care about me?

Off topic I know, this will be my last post re: bullshit touring parties.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Rightly or wrongly travelling fans are fairly low on the list of concerns when rescheduling games.

The Sunday arvo timeslot is the worst for ratings (it's a bad viewing time in SA), which unfortunately matters a fair bit. The Tahs wanted to play almost every home game on Sunday arvo, but were knocked back by SANZAR.
So 10:20am on Friday morning when South Africans are at work is a better time slot than Sunday afternoon? All Friday games rate bad in SA

FiveStarStu

Bill McLean (32)
If the Rebels want fans to tour information is key Kronic has stated he got a release, I am a member where was mine? In the future should i forget about attending these games as the Rebels don't care about me?

The decision was made today, and was SANZAR's call. Not much else they could have done.

kronic

John Solomon (38)
The information was sent to Rebels' members yesterday evening. It's responsibility of the team's respective communication departments to send this out.

If you've been affected by the change, please PM me.

FiveStarStu

Bill McLean (32)
Your right I don't know how close they are. What I do know is that it is now near impossible for me to go as some of my colleagues already have the Friday off for Sound wave.

cc kronic, jermano et al

Had a chat with Adam from the Rebels last night and he knew how disappointed the diehards would be as soon as SANZAR notified the Rebels. I reckon if you get on Twitter and explain everything to @MelbourneRebels nicely, mention how shattered you are, they might sort out some sort of consolation. No guarantees but can't hurt to ask.

kronic

John Solomon (38)
cc kronic, jermano et al

Had a chat with Adam from the Rebels last night and he knew how disappointed the diehards would be as soon as SANZAR notified the Rebels. I reckon if you get on Twitter and explain everything to @MelbourneRebels nicely, mention how shattered you are, they might sort out some sort of consolation. No guarantees but can't hurt to ask.
Don't want anything from the Rebels TBH, it's not their problem to fix. However I appreciate Adam's concern.

NSW/SANZAR/ARU are to blame, it's their problem to fix. A simple apology would suffice. I know I won't get it.

ShtinaTina

Alex Ross (28)
I think the police wanted the game moved as it would be a nightmare to control the rugby crowd, the mardi gras revellers & not to mention the road blocks.

jermano

Ted Fahey (11)
It's things like this where good team rivalries start. I may have been angry to start but this is not the Rebels doing. When we get a win over the Tahs I'll know that is my revenge! It may not be this game, but the day is coming where The Tahs will get their comeuppance.

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
It's things like this where good team rivalries start. I may have been angry to start but this is not the Rebels doing. When we get a win over the Tahs I'll know that is my revenge! It may not be this game, but the day is coming where The Tahs will get their comeuppance.
This sounds like something out of 'Homeland' on TV.

kronic

John Solomon (38)
Already hate all the other teams in Australia.

Still waiting for something to develop with a foreign team.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
What, so you look at the draw in very early January and never look at it again, nor do you even glance at your ticket or watch TV/read papers?

I, like most people, only look at the draw on about Wednesday every week to see what awaits me that weekend. So I can't really see a problem.

The Tahs must take the same approach: according to wikipedia, and my independent recollection, the parade is always held on the first saturday in March.
That fact should be well known, and was obviously capable of being known, to the Tahs when they were organising their schedule.
plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.
Perhaps the unpaid intern responsible for dealing with SANZAR on scheduling could put a permanent entry in Outlook for the 1st Saturday of March so that when they try to enter the Rebels game in Outlook they will get a conflict message.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Just move Mardi Gras.
Anyway, it often rains on the parade so hopefully we get good weather for the game now the date has changed.

James Buchanan

Trevor Allan (34)

I can't see the SA ratings being significant in determining the scheduling of an Australian derby.

Status
Not open for further replies.