• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2025

TheScrumMachine

Stan Wickham (3)
The reason why TheGroundsKeeper and i look like we were having conversations is that we were the only two using this forum last night, that's not our fault. We also joined at different times, if you look at both of our profiles.

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
I think Angelo Smith will be starting in the locks. He's only going to go from strength to strength. His running game is unusually strong for a lock. Also you have Ben Grant who looks a little more polished than Miles.

1. Bell
2. Porecki
3. Tupou
4. Smith
5. Grant
6. Leota
7. Gamble
8. Gleeson
16. Vailanu
17. Kailea
18. Holz
19. Maiava/Amatosero
20. Lee-Warner

Like all Aussie packs, a decent front row, weak 2nd row and a good backrow. I don't love having Kailea sitting behind Bell. I want him getting good minutes but I'm sure he will as they manage Bell. Kailea is only going to keep improving and will be vital for Wallabies (along with Bell).

The Bulldozer

Stan Wickham (3)
I agree with majority of that list and i'm sure my predictions will change as we get closer to the season but i would have Andrew kellaway at fullback instead of Max Jorgenson and i would probably have Fergus Lee Warner or Hugh Sinclair over Miles Amatosero but i haven't watch much of him so i could be wrong.
While I see where your coming from with Kellaway, I do think that they should should keep Jorgensen at fullback as he played fullback all throughout his school career. To be fair he did play wing in his first year at the Tahs but I do believe he has shone at Fullback. Also, Schmidt has been playing Kellaway on the wing for the wallabies so he could definitely play him there but then again Kellaway is obviously more experienced than Jorgo so I really think it could go either way there but I would have Jorgo at fullback

The GroundsKeeper

Allen Oxlade (6)
Yes Kellaway is more experienced at fullback as he played Rebels season at 15 but I think Jorgo has earnt his chance to have the fullback role, he has shown in schoolboy level how dangerous he can be by injecting himself into the backline, especially if the Waratahs has the potential to be as dangerous as it can be with all these new players. which would then have Kellaway on the wing and he can be very good as seen in a wallabies Jersey.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Jorgensen wasn't very good at 15 this year, great pace, great kick - but he struggled all season on kick return, he didn't beat enough defenders or get through a tackle to provide go forward for the next phase.

I think he needs consistent time on the wing and at the moment is that 14/15.

Wilson

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
If have Dave putting the boots back on would you include Julian Heaven back he played well in those last few games before injury
not really beating the AI allegations with this word salad...

If you mean, "Who would you have if Porecki doesn't play again?" Then yeah, Heaven comes into the 23. He's solid but should be more of a 3rd option at this point. After that it looks like it'll be between Dobbins and Fourie, though it's not clear if both (or either) of them will be at the tahs next year.

Wilson

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Has there been any update on Porecki?
Not with the recent squad announcement which is a bit worrying. Otherwise there have been a variety of rumours throughout the year ranging from "he's a week or two away" to "he's about to announce his retirement".

FWIW I thought his injury history might see him retire soon at the start of the year, and that was before his current issues.

The Bulldozer

Stan Wickham (3)
Yes Kellaway is more experienced at fullback as he played Rebels season at 15 but I think Jorgo has earnt his chance to have the fullback role...
Either way, we will still have an extremely talented backline with whatever backline McKellar decides to go with. For me my strongest backline would be
9. Gordon
10. Edmed
11. Lancaster
12. Foketi
13. Sua'alii
14. Jorgensen
15. Kellaway

Bench:
Pietch
Reilly
Walton

I could see McKellar rotating the players each week to prevent injury and also give each player game time as well.

The Bulldozer

Stan Wickham (3)
Although I do know that Edmed has hinted that he might not back and I do hope he doesn't, so will be interesting to see who McKellar puts at 10 if he does not come back or if we sign a new 10.

The GroundsKeeper

Allen Oxlade (6)
Interesting backline. I agree with Gordon being the starting half back but think that Edmed may not return has he did hint at the end of season he may not come back, Can't really have Sua'alii in the team yet as he hasn't decided which super rugby team he'll join (He has only signed with rugby AU) I really don't think that Reilly should be on the bench he didn't really do a lot last year, I think maybe it would be could to see the likes of teddy Wilson or Jack Bowen get the spot.

Last edited:

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
excited-so.gif

Marce

John Hipwell (52)
Here is my early waratahs prediction for next year assuming everyone is fit and ready
Not bad. Personally I'd try to pick Sua'ali'i at 12. That's the spot you have no top class players in current Wallabies squad. At 13 you have a top class player like Ikitau. Let's see what the kid can do at inside centre. In term of physicality he's more than Paisami and it makes senses spend that money on a position in which you need.

I mean, I dont know if the kid has played at 12 in Parramatta but If I were his friend or his agent, the pathway to become a Wallabies starter number 12 is easier than being a starter number 13 cause he never gonna match Ikitau at test level in the short term