• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2024

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
NSW Rugby chief executive Paul Doorn has floated the idea of a "think tank" and "scrum academy" in the wake of a front row injury crisis that has torpedoed another Waratahs season.
Has he floated the idea of "looking at what every other side is doing and playing more rugby outside of season to actually develop players" yet? I reckon that might be a good place to start.

LevitatingSocks

Sydney Middleton (9)
NSW Rugby chief executive Paul Doorn has floated the idea of a "think tank" and "scrum academy" in the wake of a front row injury crisis that has torpedoed another Waratahs season.
that is a fairly scary amount of achilles injuries, assuming it's not just a statistical outlier could it be something related to the way the Tahs condition or manage training load?

Reactions: mst

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Didn’t the scrum academy already exist but in younger ages or is it gone? I don’t really know what a scrum academy would do when it’s been 10 injuries causing the chaos. No province is going to have 15 legit pro front rowers.

Think I’d be looking at the S&C and Medical.

Feels a bit chasing the ball and not setting a field for the bowling thinking.

Crashy

Arch Winning (36)
what the absolute fuck is happening at the Waratahs. Seriously.
Players leaving like rats from a sinking ship, injuries.
One positive has been the vocal enthusiastic crowd. fuck me..

rugbyAU

Nev Cottrell (35)
what the absolute fuck is happening at the Waratahs. Seriously.
Players leaving like rats from a sinking ship, injuries.
One positive has been the vocal enthusiastic crowd. fuck me..
Next year as we lure Sua'ali'i and Kellaway back and have a better coach we will have better results

Rudderless

Cyril Towers (30)
Didn’t the scrum academy already exist but in younger ages or is it gone? I don’t really know what a scrum academy would do when it’s been 10 injuries causing the chaos. No province is going to have 15 legit pro front rowers.

Think I’d be looking at the S&C and Medical.

Feels a bit chasing the ball and not setting a field for the bowling thinking.
It’s been cut but NSW Rugby use to run a Tight Five academy (from age 13) called the Trac Tahs

Homer

Larry Dwyer (12)
Next year as we lure Sua'ali'i and Kellaway back and have a better coach we will have better results
Where is this better coach coming from?
Also one genuine 2nd row, only 2 front rowers of real quality (when they are on the park) and the worst 5/8 out of the whole pack we had two years ago.
We also have no depth in half backs, behind Gordon or any real line bending No.8.

Go to Argentina, grab a front row and offer Tony Brown the coaching job.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
and the worst 5/8 out of the whole pack we had two years ago.
Edmed is not actually signed for 2025 yet, it's entirely possible he moves on if he believes the tahs are betting on bringing in Gordon. The way things are going that could easily happen before Gordon is guaranteed too.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Where is this better coach coming from?
Also one genuine 2nd row, only 2 front rowers of real quality (when they are on the park) and the worst 5/8 out of the whole pack we had two years ago.
We also have no depth in half backs, behind Gordon or any real line bending No.8.

Go to Argentina, grab a front row and offer Tony Brown the coaching job.
I have a feeling if Tony Brown wanted a super rugby head coach job he'd have one. Can't really see him jumping ship on the boks before the world cup.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
"scrum academy"
gagrprop_zpskragtaiw.png

creditcards1.gif

$2.99 (O.N.O)

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
This approach stated by Henco Venter might be what the Tahs need.

“Franco (Smith) is one of the cleverest coaches out there. He is one of the big reasons I am in Glasgow. Look at the guys who are performing for Glasgow now, two years ago where were they? Guys who were performing two years ago are even better now.

“He knows what the team needs and how to get it. As a player, you need a coach to tell you that you are not good enough. That doesn’t always mean you need to like it, as long as it makes you better. He is not shy in telling everyone what is best and how to be the best – and to be the best you have to be pushed.

“We are going to war every week. It is not a place for soft men to sit and worry about their emotions.
We have 40 minutes, if it’s half-time and we’re not performing. We can’t try to be nice to each other if we want to win a final – definitely within the right structure.

“He won’t look down at a guy but he will tell you. Every time, the guys play better. Everyone wants that brutal honesty from a coach. If coaches don’t push players, players know it and complacency slips in. You will never win a competition.”

Bolding
and Italics are mine. I wonder if the Tahs want that brutal honesty

BTW I also have major concerns about the Tahs S&C and hope they are not the same guys that did the Wallabies last year....