• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies v Wales, 6 July

stillmissit

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I like Kellaway on the wing, I think it's where he's most comfortable and makes his best decisions. Wright at fullback gives him more opportunity to inject himself into the game...
I loved your first post and disagree with the second. Schmit will decide where he lives and I suspect it will be on the wing in the next game.

stillmissit

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I'm with you on this, SMI, but you have to admit Schmidt put them where he put them.
True Dru but I think he is still learning what the guys can do, this team is certainly not the final team and contrary to Sully I think FB is a critical position on the field.

Reactions: dru

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I don't see any reason to suspect Schmidt will swap Wright and Kellaway around at this stage...

Wright appears more suited to fullback as he can step in as an additional playmaker and orchestrate the counter attack.

Kellaway provides that classic wing/fullback role at 14.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
It is a slot that is frequently targeted for some "bling". Also it's a slot that ex-leagies target to get the picture and learn the game. For me it offers opportunities over 14 - fullback is a position for leadership and organisation of the backline (not necessarily some that "bling" comes with). It's an opportunity, with the added vision, for timed move to play making.

14 needs to do the key fullback role of catch and retrieve. Like 15 it's a good spot for some bling on the run back. It doesn't offer the same opportunity for organisation though, in deed needs a bloke disciplined enough to stay in the tram lines.

11 is different again. More opportunity for hitting the hip of the fly half, less discipline required in staying in the lane so roving opportunities present. I think we got Daugunu right.

I'd swap Wright and Kellaway. But in Schmidt we trust. HE has started with runs on the board and I'm happy with pretty much whatever he calls and these slots.

Wallabies

Chris McKivat (8)
what are your predictions for next team list. Dont need the whole team, just change in selections and new combinations you reckon they might try. I also believe we might see a radically different attacking strategy as opposed to kick and chase last night. People need to understand lolesio was under strong instructions last night like most 10s usually. I think his core skills were strong last night, just needs a stronger attacking strategy to follow in order to really be injected into game.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I'm completely out on Tom Wright until he can score a match winning try from absolutely nothing to pull us away from a tricky two point margin with 10 minutes to play in his first test match for a year

Comprehension issues, Strewth? Talk about building strawmen.

PhilClinton

Tony Shaw (54)
That exact incident was pretty appalling from the TMO.

It’s bad enough they interject without warning during the game but to have that footage, review it yourself and then ask the ref to stop the game to also review it, shows a level of incompetence.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
No way in the world I or others will change your opinion of Tom SMI no matter how many facts are thrown at you. However, I cannot put my finger on those rocks that almost turned to boulders in last night's game. Maybe you are referring to a couple of near tries to the Welsh when they put short kicks over the defence close to the tryline. On both occasions Tom was in position to defuse the threat but don't let that interfere with your anti-Wright crusade. I would have no confidence that had Andrew Kellaway been playing fullback he would have successfully defused those raids as Tom did based on his inclination to be way out of position in defence when playing fullback for the Rebels this year. But maybe you can point to other situations where Tom almost lost the Wallabies the game?

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
If you believe this you ain't been watching Aus rugby over the last 25 years.
Pfft, 25 years. Yes, Fullback/wing is clearly totally different to wing/Fullback. The mere fact that they can both play either shows they are completely different. I must be a complete idiot to suggest that the back three work as a unit and cover each other constantly, and it doesn't matter what number they wear.

Reactions: TSR

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Look, this is just silly. Carter is a very promising rugby player (now lost to the game at least for some time) but he is years behind Tom Wright in terms of development. Had Carter stayed with rugby, he would have benefited significantly from a couple more years at Super Rugby level, while, unless you missed it, Tom is probably well and truly in line for some major awards this year recognising his performances.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
That exact incident was pretty appalling from the TMO.
Exactly. It’s bad enough with commentary explaining what they’re looking at on the tv. As said above, at the ground we were trying to figure out what was going on. You try and second guess if it’s going to be a penalty? Card? Nothing at all? The more they look, the more you worry. And it kills the atmosphere at the ground and momentum of the game.

stillmissit

Peter Fenwicke (45)
BR, you are rushing at shadows as I didn't post that, Swingpass did. Any old how Schmidt will make a call and one thing we can all agree on there will be some logic based on experience.
You are right I won't change my point of view and think that come the RC when more pressure will be put on him his rocks will breed.

stillmissit

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Look, this is just silly. Carter is a very promising rugby player (now lost to the game at least for some time) but he is years behind Tom Wright in terms of development. Had Carter stayed with rugby, he would have benefited significantly from a couple more years at Super Rugby level, while, unless you missed it, Tom is probably well and truly in line for some major awards this year recognising his performances.
Well we are both in the area of prognostication and let's see how it all pans out.
Re Carter Gordon you are getting a bit too Brumby focused, there is about 20 months difference between them and Gordon is far more naturally talented than Lolesio. I suspect both would/will be replaced if not this season then next. Although Schmidt did say he wanted to keep him in rugby.

Last edited: