• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies 2024

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Not sure if a stand out performance in finals will swing a squad change. I reckon Schmidt and co have a pretty good idea by now.
Plenty of room for it to for guys on the fringe of that squad or are line ball with another player - big game performances have always counted for more than the rest. Particularly for players who've spent a bit of time out injured recently like Uru, Toole or Wilkin.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
If we use competition points as a guide for the initial squad, assuming a squad of 32 players and no O/S picks, we currently end up with:

11 Brumbies
8 Reds
6 Rebels
4 Force
3 Waratahs

I reckon any squad should be pretty close to that. However, I'd add Angus Bell in with an asterisk which would increase the Tahs quota to 4, and the overall squad to 33, probably justified by the fact that if not for the front row issues - of which he was the major part - they should have picked up at least one more win.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Not sure if a stand out performance in finals will swing a squad change. I reckon Schmidt and co have a pretty good idea by now.
Largely, yes - but finals can be pretty critical either way to some.

Tom Wright’s standing dropped considerably in last years Super finals series and I’d guess that extended to his standing in EJ (Eddie Jones)’s eyes.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
If we use competition points as a guide for the initial squad, assuming a squad of 32 players and no O/S picks, we currently end up with:

11 Brumbies
8 Reds
6 Rebels
4 Force
3 Waratahs

I reckon any squad should be pretty close to that. However, I'd probably add Angus Bell in with an asterisk which would increase the Tahs quota to 4, and the overall squad to 33, probably justified by the fact that if not for the front row issues - of which he was the major part - they should have picked up at least one more win.
Sorry KOB - I know I often have a crack at you. But I do find it funny that your default position is that ‘Bell is an automatic pick so that increases the Tahs numbers to 4’ rather than Bell is an automatic pick and the Tahs have been shit so really you would only expect another 1 or 2 to make it’.

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
It paints a picture, but percentages are really only part of the story - as mentioned, they're incredibly influenced by the difficulty of the kick. For instance, Reds have scored a hell of a lot of tries out wide this season, so I'm not surprised Lynagh's stats are down.
All those rolling mauls.... Reds should score some more open field tries, try and be less boring.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
Sorry KOB - I know I often have a crack at you. But I do find it funny that your default position is that ‘Bell is an automatic pick so that increases the Tahs numbers to 4’ rather than Bell is an automatic pick and the Tahs have been shit so really you would only expect another 1 or 2 to make it’.
Well not really. The default position is that the Tahs only deserve to have 3 FIT players (<10% of the squad) based on the fact they have been shit. However given Angus Bell is the best LHP in the country, if he is able to train and is a possibility of playing he should also be added to the squad, but not at the expense of anybody. After Friday night it will be 8 Reds and 4 Tahs anyway.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: TSR

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Well not really. The default position is that the Tahs only deserve to have 3 FIT players (<10% of the squad) based on the fact they have been shit. However given Angus Bell is the best LHP in the country, if he is able to train and is a possibility of playing he should also be added to the squad, but not at the expense of anybody.

At this point, why wouldn't it be 40 man squad with ~8 positions taken up between "Team Rehab" and "Team Development".

Raytah

Chris McKivat (8)
Anyone else thinking Jahrome Brown might be the best backup 7?

Im a big fan of Wright's as in international 7 option, and I like Scott, Reimer & Gamble, but Browne has probably edged ahead for me.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
At this point, why wouldn't it be 40 man squad with ~8 positions taken up between "Team Rehab" and "Team Development".
It’s probably more likely to be something like that. I’m a stats man, so it was a challenge for someone to build a RWC type squad based on the assumptions I gave. I.e 32 players not including Bell, and the number of players from the respective squads given

Last edited:

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Anyone else thinking Jahrome Brown might be the best backup 7?

Im a big fan of Wright's as in international 7 option, and I like Scott, Reimer & Gamble, but Browne has probably edged ahead for me.
I feel it is more likely that they’ll pick an extra 6/8 or 4/6 and rely on Wright to cover 7.

If not Brown may well be a shot.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I feel it is more likely that they’ll pick an extra 6/8 or 4/6 and rely on Wright to cover 7.

If not Brown may well be a shot.

Yeah, there's quite a few 6/8's and lock/backrowers Schmidt is probably going to have to cycle through working out his best squad...

Wright is an excellent option to cover the position, and Hooper can play there in an emergency as well.

scrans21

Sydney Middleton (9)
Schoupp will be available for selection this weekend for the ponies. Big in considering our loosehead stocks are looking a bit thin with Bell injured. Hopefully he has a stormer this week and in the finals so he can work his way into contention alongside Slipper (if he stays fit considering reports of a calf injury) and one of Gibbon, Hodgman and Kailea.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
2nd this. He was fine and still a premier lock for me. Was usually defending at pillar which Reds didn't challenge much.

Was pressuring the box kick from an offside position a number of times in the first half so needs to sort that out.
Second half too Raytah, but to my recollection didn't spoil any one of them.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
and why does a bench option need to play 4,6 & 8?

Valetini & McReight are bolted on and both can be budgeted for 80 minutes- so whoever is selected to start and "finish" should be picked to complement them
Its looking like Wright at the moment. I see no real reason why the forward back shouldnt just be an amalgum of Reds and Brumbies with a few props from other franchises thrown in out of necessity.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I actually think the better option is a 6 who can play 80 and get Valetini to go hard for 50-55 then replace him with someone who can make an impact in the last 25.

HogansHeros

Bob Loudon (25)
I actually think the better option is a 6 who can play 80 and get Valetini to go hard for 50-55 then replace him with someone who can make an impact in the last 25.
Last season gleeson was starting to look the the person to bring on. Shame he swapped his hands for feet this year.

rapt

Stan Wickham (3)
Reading through some of the recent stuff, I personally think this year, looking at purely Super Rugby performances of teams and picking a squad with “x” amount of players from such and such team due to Super Rugby performance isn’t the way to go.

Ideally its the start of a RWC cycle, you do want to be competitive whilst also be thinking who will be around and in contention when that time rolls around, this is really the year you want to wipe the slate clean and have a fresh start post EJ (Eddie Jones) disaster and build something that can bring years of success, not just instant.

I’m actually an AB’s fan, being how my kiwi parents raised me living in aus, but I’d love nothing more than to see the wallabies win the Bledisloe, i’d be cranky when it does happen but i do think there are plenty of young players around Aus Rugby who are capable of doing this and bringing success, the people at the top have just got to plan/build it right.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Alrighty, Derps late season 23 of only Super Rugby players:

1. Hodgman
2. Faessler
3. Nongorr
4. Swain
5. Smith
6. Wright
7. McReight
8. Valetini
9. White
10. Noah
11. Toole
12. Hunter
13. Ikitau
14. Wright
15. Kellaway

16. Slipper
17. Pollard
18. 7As (Allan Ala'alatoa)
(This bench front row is largely reputation/experience based plus tried to keep team combos)
19. Frost
20. Uru
21. Wilson
22. McDermott
23. Daugunu

Went 6-2 purely because i want Wilson in the side.

Some squaddies to round it out could include:
Talakai, Kailea, Uelese, Canham, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), Holloway, Lonergan, Donaldson, Foketi, Flook, Campbell

Didnt consider Swinton or Kemeny but i think on form either would complement Valetini/McReight very well.

Only considered players that can still run so that ruled Tupou out.

Edit: forgot the Dog. Put him in somewhere.

Last edited:

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
I'd go Flook instead of Daugunu on that squad Derpus. Both cover the same type of spots but Filipo has run so hot and cold at Wallaby level.

rapt

Stan Wickham (3)
Alrighty, Derps late season 23 of only Super Rugby players:

1. Hodgman
2. Faessler
3. Nongorr
4. Swain
5. Smith
6. Wright
7. McReight
8. Valetini
9. White
10. Noah
11. Toole
12. Hunter
13. Ikitau
14. Wright
15. Kellaway

16. Slipper
17. Pollard
18. 7As (Allan Ala'alatoa) (Allan Ala'alatoa)
(This bench front row is largely reputation/experience based plus tried to keep team combos)
19. Frost
20. Uru
21. Wilson
22. McDermott
23. Daugunu

Went 6-2 purely because i want Wilson in the side.

Some squaddies to round it out could include:
Talakai, Kailea, Uelese, Canham, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), Holloway, Lonergan, Donaldson, Foketi, Flook, Campbell

Didnt consider Swinton or Kemeny but i think on form either would complement Valetini/McReight very well.

Only considered players that can still run so that ruled Tupou out.
What non Super Rugby players are available for Wallaby selection?

I think the Giteau law should go and try keep the players here playing Super Rugby if you want to play for the Wallabies