• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

USA v IRE - Match Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Whilst many of you may be enjoying a cold beer watching the Wallabies down the Azzuri I think it's important to remember the significance of the following game. What we have seen from the 6Nation teams so far has been far from convincing and this match is slowly starting to shape up as an upset in the making. It is no secret that the Irish are in no form whatsoever, a dismal 6N campaign followed by some appalling lead up games has left the country scratching it's head, and quite frankly no one really knows where they are at.

On the other hand are the up-and-coming USA. Many would consider this team a minnow, and rightfully so. But before you suggest to me that they don't stand a chance against the Irish, I suggest you take a look at the date. 9/11, possibly the worst day to be playing against the American's in any sport. There is no doubt the Yanks will lift for this one riding the roller coaster of emotion from that tragic day 10 years ago. They will be fired up and ready against an unpredictable Irish squad which is ageing quicker than any other nation. They boast the oldest world cup squad and whilst experience may count for a lot, it stands nothing against flair and passion and the desire to give those at home something to cheer about.

Just decided I'd give you all a little insight into this clash, it is more than likely going to turn into a live chat thread so why not voice your opinions on this match? I'm tipping the US by 5 in the first real upset of the tournament and a result that will give this tournament a jump-start like never seen before.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
What ? Do yourself a favour and tune into the ABC for Easts vs Randwick. Its a stinkathon !!

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Eire is my favourite team behind Australia but there is a part of me that wouldnt be disappointed to see the USA get up here. Very rare occation when I can say I wouldnt mind seeing the USA get up in a sporting contest.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Rain coming down now, I would think this would favour Eire, Eire missing some conversions here, not bad for the Wallabies if these guys start having kicking issues - though this is Sexton & they always have O'Gara. Eire forward pack monstering the USA, USA holding up so far but they've had little territory & pill to speak of.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
3-0 to Eire 24min in, not a bad show from USA so far, they've had a couple of chances, waiting for Eire to kick into top gear though.

jay-c

Ron Walden (29)
only flicked over for a ew minutes but usa defense looks awesome
ngwenga looking to get involved

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
jay-c the early minutes USA have done some great tackles and break down work but their maul defence & scrum has had issues, their recent maul defence was a bit better. Good game so far. Eire have missed quite a few conversion attempts to USA's one miss.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Todd Clever is leading brolliantly, fucking hits hard. US are holding strong.

He's been enormous for them (I laugh a bit when they show close ups of his face cause my team capt has pretty much the same facial looks), interesting to see his fantasy points he's been doing a lot of tackles.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Bugger, I was going to say if USA keep this to 3-0 then they have done a mighty job, shame for them about the try there at the end. I know its wet but Eire have been a bit sloppy, their set piece come scrum time has been solid.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Folks, Eire isn't playing. It is "Ireland", which comprises players from both the republic, and Ulster, which, politically, is called Northern Ireland, and is part of the UK.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Eire is just simply gaelic for Ireland & I'm used to that word. But I'll type Ireland from now on so I dont upset people.

Being technical Northern Ireland does not contain all the Ulster counties, its just contained within Ulster. Unless the UK have claimed Donegal and parts of old Tyrone & the like as their own. So there :)

Meanwhile, USA have got to be getting tired they've been putting in a big defensive effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.