• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Tri Nations Game 5 - Springboks vs All Blacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
A improvement from last week will be good enough for me ,1 point win a bonus. and Whatty no matter the winning or losing margin, it will always the B team. I want to see Brussouw/Battleship/Alberts/Bakkies smashing the rucks, matfield dominate the lineouts, Jean/Mossie play better as a combo, Morne to dominate from 10 and Habana/JP to score some tries.

A

antipodean

Dam I hope the Boks turn it on and run through what i recon is the softest/un-smart midfield defense I have seen for a while from the AB's.
Kahui can defend - it's SBW I'm interested in seeing.

Thomson was my MOTM in the first two AB tests this year and had an excellent S15. I think he's alot stronger over the ball this season and it's very noticeable.

Quite concerned about Woodcock and Messam.
Yes Adam's stint with Titch appears to have paid dividends. He's fit, playing with the benefit of a big engine and confidence. Going to need a lot of physicality from the tight five to permit Messam and the backline to cut loose.

This will be a torrid affair. Springboks won't be so rusty and PdV has picked a better team this weekend.

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Have a strong feeling that the ABs will win with ease, given the fact the Saffies couldn't beat us Wobs when they had been back home for almost 2 weeks (for those who returned from NZ) and the Aussies had to travel from NZ less than a week earlier...

Stands to reason that the ABs would have taken their time to travel to SA and thus be much better prepared than the Aussies were last week...

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
Kahui can defend - it's SBW I'm interested in seeing.

Kahui S15 2011 - 64 tackles made successfully, 74% completion.
SBW S15 2011 - 113 tackles made successfully, 84% completion.

Kahui is a gaping hole in defense compared to SBW.

SBW 131 runs, 1137m, 61 off loads, 8 linebreaks, 5 try assists.
Kahui 68 runs, 568m, 13 off loads, 0 linebreaks, 1 try assist.

About the only attacking centre who comes close to SBW is Fourie, who in my view is the most effective attacking centre in SH rugby, probably the world.

SBW is huge and I for one am glad Nonu is the preferred AB centre as Nonu's defense sucks. I accept that Nonu had a crap year at an even crappier franchise, and I am a longtime Nonu fan, but for me SBW is far more dangerous.

Thankfully, the Kiwis don't agree.

Beefcake

Bill Watson (15)
Kahui S15 2011 - 64 tackles made successfully, 74% completion.
SBW S15 2011 - 113 tackles made successfully, 84% completion.

Kahui is a gaping hole in defense compared to SBW.

SBW 131 runs, 1137m, 61 off loads, 8 linebreaks, 5 try assists.
Kahui 68 runs, 568m, 13 off loads, 0 linebreaks, 1 try assist.

About the only attacking centre who comes close to SBW is Fourie, who in my view is the most effective attacking centre in SH rugby, probably the world.

SBW is huge and I for one am glad Nonu is the preferred AB centre as Nonu's defense sucks. I accept that Nonu had a crap year at an even crappier franchise, and I am a longtime Nonu fan, but for me SBW is far more dangerous.

Thankfully, the Kiwis don't agree.

SBW was playing in a team where almost everyone played ABs at some level including the coach... surely that must factor and influence your view compared to the Kahui at the Chiefs and Nonus Hurricances. SBW is the least experienced rugby player in all Super15 let alone test match footy... Wondering if the pressure gets too much he may regress to his league tackles...

Bon

Ward Prentice (10)
On paper,that is a very good team. However I feel that besides having no experience to test combinations, Williams and Kahui for instance,and players underdone and or returning from injury it will be a big ask to topple what will be a fired up Bok side.

crangs81

Larry Dwyer (12)
That AB's team in 3 games time could be good but this weekend with no real time to sort combinations and get match fitness in some cases, i can see them maybe running the boks close for 60 minutes or maybe even stealing the win but i'm expecting a scrappy performance by the blackness

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
SBW was playing in a team where almost everyone played ABs at some level including the coach... surely that must factor and influence your view compared to the Kahui at the Chiefs and Nonus Hurricances. SBW is the least experienced rugby player in all Super15 let alone test match footy... Wondering if the pressure gets too much he may regress to his league tackles...

Silly post. Just looking to bag the guy.

His defense has not slipped up until now. Why now suddenly?

The "SBW, hope he fails" train has left the station.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Have a strong feeling that the ABs will win with ease, given the fact the Saffies couldn't beat us Wobs when they had been back home for almost 2 weeks (for those who returned from NZ) and the Aussies had to travel from NZ less than a week earlier...

Stands to reason that the ABs would have taken their time to travel to SA and thus be much better prepared than the Aussies were last week...

I think we are in for an upset, if you could call it that with an AB victory these days but for different reasons. The AB second stringers are playing for a place in the 30. They are going to go mental.

May I point out that the "saffies" hadn't been home for 2 weeks, they never left remember? So no travel issues.

If we lose it will be because we are a very poorly coached side and we will be right down on confidence by now. Guys like Fourie Du Preez, Jean de Villiers, Habana have done preciously little in a Bok jersey for a long time now.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
The way Snor hometown Paarl have All Black supporters is absolutely unbelievable at the moment. Its All Blacks cars, jerseys, taxis all over the place. Cant help bumping into this coloured All Black supporters when go shopping and just dig into them. Happen last night and the arrogance this lot show is absolutely frustration for this Boer Bok supporter. After talking to this lot (they usually think Daniel Carter players for Auckland ITM Cup) I just hope and pray the Bokke knock them so hard this weekend to get these fucke3rs all back in their boxes. 2009 we dont had a single All Black supporter in town , now there are millions of them. Dont help to tell them Snor is one of them, they just laugh at me. Blou I need your help Boet.

From the NZ Herald this morning:

Controversy over ABs' welcome in South Africa

By Mike Greenaway
5:30 AM Friday Aug 19, 2011

The rapturous welcome the All Blacks received at Port Elizabeth airport has reopened the controversy that surrounded the similar support enjoyed by the Crusaders when the Christchurch-based team twice visited Cape Town this year.

The pictures of Port Elizabethans figuratively slitting their throats haka-style in exhibitions of raw passion as their overwhelmed heroes struggled through the arrivals hall have prompted questions - mainly from white South Africans - as to why, two decades into democracy, their black compatriots still do not support the Springboks.

Old habits die hard is the reflex refrain, but the answer is more complex and perhaps not as controversial as many think. It includes the community feeling let down by the present-day South African Rugby Union as well as the bare fact that the All Blacks play great rugby.

Of course there is the political aspect, dating back to the horrors initiated by Hendrik Verwoerd in the 60s. Naturally the disfranchised would support anyone but the sporting standard-bearers of apartheid, the Springboks, who embodied the white establishment.

Blacks would certainly support the one team that gave the Boks a hard time on the field, the All Blacks. Nobody else could rival the Boks in the amateur era.

The young South Africans who hated the Boks back then are now grandfathers and the passion they had for the Kiwis has been passed on through generations. If anything, it's grown stronger.

All Black winger Cory Jane was impressed by the airport reception. "It was crazy, but very cool. The channel that we were walking through got tighter and tighter as we got closer to the bus and people were trying to reach out and touch you. It was very special. It was very humbling to see what the black jersey means to them and the way they were chanting 'All Blacks, All Blacks' was goose-bump stuff."

But the political history is only part of it. Danville Felkers, chairman of the Eastern Cape All Blacks supporters club, which has 3000 registered members, sheds light on the fanbase.

"I was born into supporting the All Blacks. My father, grandfather and uncles are very passionate supporters, and it is very easy for new generations to continue this tradition because the All Blacks are a brilliant rugby team. They are the Manchester United of rugby. They win consistently and they win in style. People love winners."

Older members of the Port Elizabeth community are in no hurry to convert their children into Bok supporters. They feel stranded by empty promises from the game's governing body.

"Rugby has died in the schools of the [poor] northern suburbs," Felkers says. "And we have played rugby in this region forever. But we have no facilities. There has been no investment from Saru, no upliftment and we feel let down."

Once more, in a brand-new era, resentment of Saru has been channelled into supporting the Springboks' opposition.

"In our suburbs we are crying out for sport to give our teenagers something to do to keep them away from drugs and crime. Rugby can do that, but it hasn't because the system has let us down."

Saru's flagship investment in the Eastern Cape is, of course, the Southern Kings, and bully to them for resurrecting top-flight rugby in the region, but for the less affluent rugby man on the ground this means diddly squat.

"Nothing has changed at grass roots," says Felkers. "We don't feel that Saru is engaging us. We don't feel any affinity to Saru. We remain forgotten."

A

antipodean

It's disingenuous to compare Super Rugby stats and extrapolate to Test rugby. Kahui is a known quantity at Test Rugby, his defensive alignment and decision making has been demonstrated, SBW at Test level is not such a clear case.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
The way Snor hometown Paarl have All Black supporters is absolutely unbelievable at the moment. Its All Blacks cars, jerseys, taxis all over the place. Cant help bumping into this coloured All Black supporters when go shopping and just dig into them. Happen last night and the arrogance this lot show is absolutely frustration for this Boer Bok supporter. After talking to this lot (they usually think Daniel Carter players for Auckland ITM Cup) I just hope and pray the Bokke knock them so hard this weekend to get these fucke3rs all back in their boxes. 2009 we dont had a single All Black supporter in town , now there are millions of them. Dont help to tell them Snor is one of them, they just laugh at me. Blou I need your help Boet.

Paarl,

While this situation is unusual in SA, in other countries it is much more usual, especially Australia. Those Kiwis who have migrated to Australia, even those who take out Aussie citizenship, automatically revert to being All Black supporters when we play the darkness. For a test in Sydney vs NZ the crowd will be about 30% black, 30% gold and the other 40% wearing everything from Armani to jeans and hoodies. In the first test of the last Lions tour to Australia, it looked like a home game to the Lions there was so much red in the stadium. Cricket tests against England have their Barmy Army making so much noise they frequently drown out the Aussie supporters.

I understand its more political in SA, but the normal Boks or Super home game at almost every ground in SA is so totally one sided that a trip to SA is much more daunting than a SA trip to any of the Australian venues. NZ is more like SA. I was once visiting Dunedin at just the right time to see the Waratahs and wore my sky blue to the game. Ewan McKenzie told me I was probably the only Waratah supporter in the crowd. When you are used to that 100% support level I guess the PE situation might be a bit offensive, but elsewhere its not that unusual.

M

Mica

Thomson was my MOTM in the first two AB tests this year and had an excellent S15. I think he's alot stronger over the ball this season and it's very noticeable.

Quite concerned about Woodcock and Messam.

I agree Thomson is a great player and is in good form.
Now if someone could just tell him that doing the "hot fingers" thing when he scores a try (as he did in numerous S15 games this season) makes him look like a prize tool. :lmao:

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
Paarl,

While this situation is unusual in SA, in other countries it is much more usual, especially Australia. Those Kiwis who have migrated to Australia, even those who take out Aussie citizenship, automatically revert to being All Black supporters when we play the darkness. For a test in Sydney vs NZ the crowd will be about 30% black, 30% gold and the other 40% wearing everything from Armani to jeans and hoodies. In the first test of the last Lions tour to Australia, it looked like a home game to the Lions there was so much red in the stadium. Cricket tests against England have their Barmy Army making so much noise they frequently drown out the Aussie supporters.

I understand its more political in SA, but the normal Boks or Super home game at almost every ground in SA is so totally one sided that a trip to SA is much more daunting than a SA trip to any of the Australian venues. NZ is more like SA. I was once visiting Dunedin at just the right time to see the Waratahs and wore my sky blue to the game. Ewan McKenzie told me I was probably the only Waratah supporter in the crowd. When you are used to that 100% support level I guess the PE situation might be a bit offensive, but elsewhere its not that unusual.

Or to put it simply, countries with large thriving economies, relative safety & policial stability have a lot of migration. Australia is one of those. NZ, SA are not, thus you are more likely to find a lot of expatriates living there & thus more turnout to sporting matches supporting the opposition.

In some ways, it's being a victim of your own success, but it's a very very small prices to pay!

Beefcake

Bill Watson (15)
Silly post. Just looking to bag the guy.

His defense has not slipped up until now. Why now suddenly?

The "SBW, hope he fails" train has left the station.

Well perhaps i dont have his pictures discreetly placed under my pillow, or buy his range of man products in support, but in terms of his footy, and whether his form warrants selection amongst other ABs with experience especially when its get hot in the kitchen, im going with the tried and tested and the Kahui/Nonu eyeliner and hair brush combo pack is all the rage....

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
AP - It's not disinegenuous at all - thats the form they bring into this years test rugby, and tackling is a stock in trade for a centre that has to be done day in day out at both levels.

If anything I'd see SBW having a shot at edging Nonu out because of his defense - Nonu's veers wildly from competent to MIA. Carter saved Nonu's ass at Eden Park in my view. But sure, big difference at test level, SBW could implode. I wouldn't put any money on it happening tho.

Back on topic for the game - I saw a pretty roped out Bok unit last week after a confrontational game. If the Boks can force enough errors from a team missing almost all of their leadership, and the Bok strength holds, Boks should win. But I fear they aren't gonna have the legs come 55 mins this week. Heaven help them stopping SBW, Kahui, and that AB backline if that happens.

Worst case scenario for Boks (and Wallabies) - SBW, Slade and the AB FB have blinders. The AB backline would have a field day and ABs take a lot of confidence into the cup.

Oh wait, we want them to do that. As you were ;)

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Paarl,

We had the same thing when the Lions toured here in 2009, the reason was the prices of the tickets. That was something totally different. I dont care if they support the All Blacks, its the fucking arrogance they have and the knowledge of NZ rugby. I usually make it my point to try and talk to them in my best manner. Ask them who their favourate All Black is, obvious Carter or McAwe, ask them which ITM province they play for, reply "what is ITM?", explain its NZ version of CC and they end up all with Auckland or Blues. Its then when I educate them about NZ rugby and usually our audience laugh at them , obvious mostly coloured people aswell.

Status
Not open for further replies.