• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby Final 2024. Blues vs Chiefs, June 22.

Super Rugby Final 2024. Blues vs Chiefs, June 22.

• Go Blues!

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • Go Chiefs!

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Go f**** yourself NZ

Votes: 7 46.7%
  • Language!

• Blues by 30, TJ in the booth, seething

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • GAGR servers will require an extra 200,000 gygabytes of space for the Coronation Photo Essay

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Coronate my ballz you ***** ***** ******

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • I might watch the game

• ...if I've got nothing better to do

• I'd rather let Shiggins trim my hairy ballsack than watch this rugby football match

• Total voters

Dismal Pillock

David Codey (61)
We the Auckland Blues would like to sincerely thank you, the (insert visiting teams name here) for your ill-fated participation in this, The Long-Awaited Illustrious Coronation Of The Greatest Sporting Franchise In The History Of All Civilisation.

We the Auckland Blues would greatly appreciate it if you, the stupid opponents, would please refrain from lingering too long in camera shot as a vast team of screenshotters and GIF Makers are on
**High Alert Standby** to capture the various Auckland Blues Designated Messiahs in murderous profile.

Thank you and please get the fuck out of the way.

rendering-computer-screen-with-city-skyline-background_662214-29193.jpg

"Onehunga Branch checking in, all systems are a red hot go....."

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Got the makings of a good one hasn't it? Bluess with No Pat T, Chiefs with no ST at hooker, or Slater, Wii be another where the loosie's battle will be worth the price of admission, think the Blues will have better front row, Backline battle will be tasty as buggery,

Marce

Greg Davis (50)
Is the Eden Park going to be sold out? I'm not sure. For that reason I'd preferred a Grand Final in Wellington (Canes-Blues)

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
McMillan has confirmed that Samisoni won't play the GF, they're not even sure if it's a calf or Achilles issue. Tyrone Thompson is still on the books but they'll have to bring in a Club hooker as cover for Slater who was barely able to run before getting sent for HIA.

zer0

John Thornett (49)
Is the Eden Park going to be sold out? I'm not sure. For that reason I'd preferred a Grand Final in Wellington (Canes-Blues)

The last two finals the Blues hosted had attendances of ~32k (2021 v Highlanders) and ~45k (2022 v Crusaders). The weather and (likely on-going) train strikes will impact the exact number. Though I will absolutely be going to watch the Blues bully whatever remains of the Chiefs.

Marce

Greg Davis (50)
The last two finals the Blues hosted had attendances of ~32k (2021 v Highlanders) and ~45k (2022 v Crusaders). The weather and (likely on-going) train strikes will impact the exact number. Though I will absolutely be going to watch the Blues bully whatever remains of the Chiefs.
That's what I'm talking about. The Cake tin is a smaller stadium than Eden Park and you would have been the franchises from the 2 largest cities in NZ. So a sold out would have been easier

Eden Park 50,000
Cake tin 34,500

I'm talking in terms of marketing for the competition. A sold out stadium is always a good advertisement

zer0

John Thornett (49)
Just been doing a cheeky bit of statage on a Sunday afternoon to try and get a look at measuring the Auckland killdozer performance over the season.

A big part of the Blues power game under Cotter has been the big improvement in the carry-clean. The most relevant (and accessible) metric for the carry side seems to be the post-contact metres per carry (PCM-C) which is just: total post-contact metres / total number of carries. Table below collates this info for all Blues games this season.

The normalised values are mean-centred. This transforms the corresponding PCM-C numbers into a relative measure of performance where the mean is 0 and the distance from 0 indicating the magnitude and direction of deviation from the season mean. Significant variation is measured at steps of +/- 1 standard deviations from the mean. So the Blues +1.01 against Moana (3.16 PCM-C) and -1.00 against the Waratahs (1.75 PCM-C) means they were significantly above and below the Blues season average (2.45 PCM-C), respectively.

The data is sourced from RugbyPass. idk how accurate their stats are, or where they're originally from, but I'm assuming they're consistent at the least.

1718497592357.png

The Blues power game took off against the Crusaders in Auckland with the first month of competition being a pretty muddled effort. As such, I'm going to focus on the post-Waratah matches because that's when the killdozer was fully armed and operational.

There were only four matches where the Blues PCM-C was significantly below average (basically <2 PCM-C), with three of those matches being within the first month of competition. The outlier is the Crusaders in Christchurch who absolutely put the breaks on the Blues carrying, forcing them to <1 PCM-C (!) and would be the only team able to claim they properly stopped the Auckland killdozer. The Blues were similarly brick-walling the Crusaders, which aligns with my recollection of that being a properly rugged encounter, to say the least.

Theoretically the Chiefs put in the second best effort at slowing down the fully armed and operational Auckland killdozer which could be heartening for the final. But even then, it wasn't a significant slow down and the Blues were still >2 PCM-C. I don't see them topping the Crusaders effort, but they'll likely have to work very hard to force the Blues to <2 PMC-C, which could be difficult given their SF injuries and any potential fatigue.

As this is an Australian rugger bugger site, the defensive efforts of the Reds and Brumbies (x2) - who I assume will make up most of the Wallabies forwards - may concern Schmidt and fixing it will probably be high on Fischer's to-do list. The Brumbies did well to stick in the SF and turn the second half into a messy scrap because the Blues carry was mincing them once they got going. Conversely, the Reds (and Rebels) put in good carry efforts against the Blues, forcing them to concede an extra half metre than average.

For the All Blacks, the Highlanders are a collective write-off, and the Hurricanes and Chiefs at least managed to hold the Blues below their PCM-C average, if not significantly so. The most pleasing aspect is clearly the Crusaders brick-wall effort with their full front-row compliment.

This is only one dimension of a complex sport - indeed, only measuring one half of the carry-clean system - and only for games played by one team. Ultimately it's a limited sample and, at the least, you'd also want to have competition wide values to draw more interesting/robust insights/patterns from. But I cbf collating all that info on a Sunday. Maybe during the work week.

Dismal Pillock

David Codey (61)
The normalised values are mean-centred. This transforms the corresponding PCM-C numbers into a relative measure of performance where the mean is 0 and the distance from 0 indicating the magnitude and direction of deviation from the season mean.
huh-confused.gif

Significant variation is measured at steps of +/- 1 standard deviations from the mean. So the Blues +1.01 against Moana (3.16 PCM-C) and -1.00 against the Waratahs (1.75 PCM-C) means they were significantly above and below the Blues season average (2.45 PCM-C), respectively.
200.gif

what-icecube.gif

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
McMillan has confirmed that Samisoni won't play the GF, they're not even sure if it's a calf or Achilles issue. Tyrone Thompson is still on the books but they'll have to bring in a Club hooker as cover for Slater who was barely able to run before getting sent for HIA.

McMillan has now confirmed it's Achilles :(

WRT Slater:

“We’re hopeful that it’s just a minor MCL that will loosen up and with a couple of rolls of strapping tape, he might be able to get back out there next week.”

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Thank god for DP. He can keep the interest going in the threads with his wry humour and on the point Gifs. But I honestly have to say that with the exit of the last Aussie side, the final next week has almost zilch interest to me. I only tuned in to the Hurricanes/Tribe semi to see see if the insufferable Dan's Canes would get beaten.

Over and out.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Just been doing a cheeky bit of statage on a Sunday afternoon to try and get a look at measuring the Auckland killdozer performance over the season.

A big part of the Blues power game under Cotter has been the big improvement in the carry-clean. The most relevant (and accessible) metric for the carry side seems to be the post-contact metres per carry (PCM-C) which is just: total post-contact metres / total number of carries. Table below collates this info for all Blues games this season.

The normalised values are mean-centred. This transforms the corresponding PCM-C numbers into a relative measure of performance where the mean is 0 and the distance from 0 indicating the magnitude and direction of deviation from the season mean. Significant variation is measured at steps of +/- 1 standard deviations from the mean. So the Blues +1.01 against Moana (3.16 PCM-C) and -1.00 against the Waratahs (1.75 PCM-C) means they were significantly above and below the Blues season average (2.45 PCM-C), respectively.

The data is sourced from RugbyPass. idk how accurate their stats are, or where they're originally from, but I'm assuming they're consistent at the least.

View attachment 19409

The Blues power game took off against the Crusaders in Auckland with the first month of competition being a pretty muddled effort. As such, I'm going to focus on the post-Waratah matches because that's when the killdozer was fully armed and operational.

There were only four matches where the Blues PCM-C was significantly below average (basically <2 PCM-C), with three of those matches being within the first month of competition. The outlier is the Crusaders in Christchurch who absolutely put the breaks on the Blues carrying, forcing them to <1 PCM-C (!) and would be the only team able to claim they properly stopped the Auckland killdozer. The Blues were similarly brick-walling the Crusaders, which aligns with my recollection of that being a properly rugged encounter, to say the least.

Theoretically the Chiefs put in the second best effort at slowing down the fully armed and operational Auckland killdozer which could be heartening for the final. But even then, it wasn't a significant slow down and the Blues were still >2 PCM-C. I don't see them topping the Crusaders effort, but they'll likely have to work very hard to force the Blues to <2 PMC-C, which could be difficult given their SF injuries and any potential fatigue.

As this is an Australian rugger bugger site, the defensive efforts of the Reds and Brumbies (x2) - who I assume will make up most of the Wallabies forwards - may concern Schmidt and fixing it will probably be high on Fischer's to-do list. The Brumbies did well to stick in the SF and turn the second half into a messy scrap because the Blues carry was mincing them once they got going. Conversely, the Reds (and Rebels) put in good carry efforts against the Blues, forcing them to concede an extra half metre than average.

For the All Blacks, the Highlanders are a collective write-off, and the Hurricanes and Chiefs at least managed to hold the Blues below their PCM-C average, if not significantly so. The most pleasing aspect is clearly the Crusaders brick-wall effort with their full front-row compliment.

This is only one dimension of a complex sport - indeed, only measuring one half of the carry-clean system - and only for games played by one team. Ultimately it's a limited sample and, at the least, you'd also want to have competition wide values to draw more interesting/robust insights/patterns from. But I cbf collating all that info on a Sunday. Maybe during the work week.
Great analysis.

The only issue I have with it goes back to rugbypass' stats, which as near as I can tell are any metres made after the first tackle is attempted, so a fullback who has stepped and slipped through a reaching tackle on the return can rack up 50 post contact metres in a single run, which sort of over shadows the efforts of forwards making those metres in the thick of it.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Having trouble even working out who is favourite here. You would think Blues would try and keep it to close forward et piece type rugby, where as Chiefs will try and take it to midfield and see is their loosies can get domianance as they have last couple of weeks.
Blues I think will have strength in tighties, loosies perhaps Chiefs advantage (just), 9/10 for each team will be maybe advantage to Chiefs (mainly through DMac), midfield pretty even (another cracker match up at 13), Blues just may edge it on wings? So pretty hard to pick for me.

zer0

John Thornett (49)
Great analysis.

The only issue I have with it goes back to rugbypass' stats, which as near as I can tell are any metres made after the first tackle is attempted, so a fullback who has stepped and slipped through a reaching tackle on the return can rack up 50 post contact metres in a single run, which sort of over shadows the efforts of forwards making those metres in the thick of it.

I suspected similar; that these weasely backs and their woke evasive running nonsense are skewing the stats of the masculine demigod forwards and princely pick-and-go wingers.