• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby 2024 General Chat

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
“Super Rugby is still good footy. You’ve got the Australians and the Kiwis playing, but they haven’t got the exposure of playing against all the other players from other countries

How did they go for the French though? It was the second most embarrassing thing to happen at last year's world cup (the first being Australia not making out of the pool stages).

Imagine bowing out at your home world cup in the quarters!! (I can see the egg on my face in a few years don't you worry).

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Eh, maybe the Leinsters and Toulouses would go well but they're still dealing with a handful of ANZ players who were good here but suddenly globetrotters over there.

Kerr Barlow, Skelton, Meafou, Arnold, Ahki are now all world beaters but weren't lavished with praise here. Other middle order teams are centered around players like Maddocks, Reece Hewat, Alo-Emile, Newsome etc.

Every time a Kiwi leaves NZ they become the best player in the world in France.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
How did they go for the French though? It was the second most embarrassing thing to happen at last year's world cup (the first being Australia not making out of the pool stages).

Imagine bowing out at your home world cup in the quarters!! (I can see the egg on my face in a few years don't you worry).
Perhaps many/most French Rugby Union fans would rather watch a competitive Top 14 league and Champions Cup every year, over one or two international games every 4 years

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Perhaps many/most French Rugby Union fans would rather watch a competitive Top 14 league and Champions Cup every year, over one or two international games every 4 years
But the point Nonu was making is, the quality of the competition is higher than Super Rugby i.e. has the "best internationals" spread across the teams. But, it doesn't apear to have translated to any meaningful success outside of that competition as those same players especially at a French level don't really perform when required.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
But the point Nonu was making is, the quality of the competition is higher than Super Rugby i.e. has the "best internationals" spread across the teams. But, it doesn't apear to have translated to any meaningful success outside of that competition as those same players especially at a French level don't really perform when required.
I understand that. But if your definition of success is only internationals, then I think you are missing his point

Reactions: dru

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Eh, maybe the Leinsters and Toulouses would go well but they're still dealing with a handful of ANZ players who were good here but suddenly globetrotters over there.

Kerr Barlow, Skelton, Meafou, Arnold, Ahki are now all world beaters but weren't lavished with praise here. Other middle order teams are centered around players like Maddocks, Reece Hewat, Alo-Emile, Newsome etc.

Every time a Kiwi leaves NZ they become the best player in the world in France.
Is that not just a function of more dispersed talent? 14 teams or whatever versus 5?

I prefer that model personally. A couple of test stars among a team of club level players in a competition with many clubs. It's how most competitions work.

Reactions: dru

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Is that not just a function of more dispersed talent? 14 teams or whatever versus 5?

I prefer that model personally. A couple of test stars among a team of club level players in a competition with many clubs. It's how most competitions work.
Yeah for sure if they consolidated the top 14 into 5 teams they'd be incredible. But they're not, so I don't buy this bit about them being super competitive.

Marce

John Thornett (49)

Most of the Super Rugby players with European heritage end up playing for an European nations if they can't make the ABs or WBs 23 like Mosese Tuipulotu or Fergus Burke. So Super Rugby players play against future 6 Nations players lol

Marce

John Thornett (49)
Screenshot-20240517-191315-Instagram.jpg

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Just wondering how the top of table will change between no and finals, or bottom.

Would be kind of good if Rebels and Clan swapped places (or Brumbies/Chiefs), would be good for to have a couple of Aus.NZ QFs? At this time you would get Rebels/Brumbies and Clan/Chiefs, though I would not be at all surprised if Brumbies sneak up a place before then.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Glen Jackson... former super player and ref, will be the new Fijian Drua head coach. Didn't even realise he went into coaching.

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
Glen Jackson... former super player and ref, will be the new Fijian Drua head coach. Didn't even realise he went into coaching.
Yeah, his contract was coming to an end with NZRU right after RWC2019, and he'd had the coaching gig lined up then. He's been coaching them since their inception from memory.