• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Should Aus/NZ Test Sides Pick Overseas Players?

Should Aus/NZ Test Sides Pick Overseas Players?

• Yes

Votes: 9 45.0%
  • No

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Yes but limit of 3 a team

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • No limit

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Braveheart will know

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • No because if "Yes" then you'll never get shot of the old gits

• Mercenaries, useless, let them chase the almighty $$

• I once went overseas

Votes: 6 30.0%
  • South of France vs Onehunga, TOUGH CHOICE

Votes: 5 25.0%
  • France is stupid

Votes: 5 25.0%

• Total voters

Dismal Pillock

David Codey (61)
Stab at top players currently overseas;

Aus:

Forwards:
Rory Arnold, Richie Arnold, Will Skelton, Harry Hockings, Adam Coleman, Sam Carter, Luke Jones, Sean McMahon, Liam Gill, Jordy Reid, Jack Cornelson, (oops already Japan capped) Ben Gunter (oops ditto)

Backs: Samu Kerevi, Duncan Paia’aua, Ben Tapuai

NZ

Forwards:
Brodie Retallick, Shithead Frizell.

Backs: Richie Mo'unga, Aaron Smith, Leicester Fainga'anuku, Jack Goodhue

Last edited:

Dismal Pillock

David Codey (61)
Marce will know...
foam.gif

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
We lack experience in our 23. Argentina had almost double the caps we had on the weekend and most of ours are with Slips, who probably should not be there. Experience throughout the squad represents success at test and RWC level, pure and simple.
Super Rugby is a shot bird and we now have 20% less placements onshore for pro players. NZ and SA have decided to ditch the RC in 26,28 and 30 leaving Australia and Argentina to fend for themselves. Nothing to protect in that alliance anymore.
We need to just open it up.

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
I think eventually it will open up in some way, but personally I like it as it is for All Blacks.As I say ,I know it will change eventually but I sure I will live with it when it does.
I don't have an opinion on Wallabies, as they not my team (but they already got it haven't they?). But I think it what every rugby board thinks is best for their situation.

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
Hooker:
Folau Fainga'a (Clermont)
Tolu Latu (Montpellier)

Prop:
Scott Sio (Exeter)
Tom Osborne (London Scottish)
Ollie Hoskins (Saracens)
Moses Alo-Emile (Stade Francais)
Braxton Asi (Stade Francais)
Malachi Hawkes (Toulouse)
Paddy Ryan (japan)

Lock:
Sam Lousi (Scarlets)
Kane Douglas (La Rochelle)
Tom Staniforth (Castres)
Rob Simmons (Clermont)
Will Skelton (La Rochelle)
Phoenix Battye (Oyonnax)
Steven Cummins (Pau)
Paulo Tauilili-Pelesasa (Pau)
Richie Arnold (Toulouse)
Ted Condon (Toulouse)
Rory Arnold (Japan)
Trevor Hosea (Japan)
Matt Philip (Japan)
Michael Stolberg (Japan)
Pat Tafa (Japan)
Jack Wright (Japan)
Harry Hockings (Japan)
Max Douglas (Japan)
Sam Jeffries (Japan)

Backrow:
Jarrad Butler (Connacht)
Richard Clift (Leicester)
Josh Kemeny (Northhampton)
Angus Scott Young (Northampton)
Lachlan Swinton (Bordeaux)
Pete Samu (Bordeaux)
Nick Champion De Crespigny (Castres)
Caleb Timu (Colomiers)
Alex Masibaka (Montpellier)
Jayden Viliamu (Stade Francais)
Reece Hewat (Pau)
Sean McMahon (Japan)
Liam Gill (Japan)
Tamati Ioane (Japan)
Colby Fainga'a (Japan)
Ed Quirk (Japan)
Jackson Pugh (Japan)

Scrumhalf:
Joe Powell (Lyon)
Tawera Kerr-Barlow (La Rochelle)
Will Genia (Japan)
Nick Phipps (Japan)

Flyhalf:
Isaac Lucas (Japan)
Liam McNamara (Connacht)
Jack Walsh (Ospreys)
Jake McIntyre (Perpignan)
Bernard Foley (Japan)
Quade Cooper (Japan)
Sam Greene (Japan)
Bryce Hegarty (Japan)
Charlie Savala (Edinburgh)

Centre:
John Porch (Connacht)
Izaia Perese (Leicester)
Ben Tapuai (Bordeaux)
Irae Simone (Clermont)
Kyle Godwin (Clermont)
Miracle Tangata (Lyon)
Samu Kerevi (Japan)
Matt To'omua (Japan)
Semesi Tupou (Japan)
Curtis Rona (Japan)

OB:
Byron Ralston (Connacht)
Ben Woollett (Jersey Reds)
James Ramm (Northampton)
Luke Morahan (Bayonne)
Reece Hodge (Bayonne)
Zack Holmes (Bordeaux)
Alex Newsome (Clermont)
Jack Maddocks (Pau)
Toshi Butlin (Pau)
Marika Koroibete (Japan)
Tom Banks (Japan)

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Sam Carter is at The Force.
Scott Sio, Tom Staniforth, Irae Simone, Matt Philip and there are others. They don’t need superstars but depth and some more experience.
Anyway, it will be interesting to see what happens on the EOYT and beyond. We need a competitive squad for the BILs and I suspect we will see some old faces come November.

drewprint

Alan Cameron (40)
Out of curiosity, I just checked out Irae Simones instagram, and it looks like he’s only just returned after 8 months off from a major knee injury.

Strewthcobber

Simon Poidevin (60)
Given Reece Hodge has 60+ tests I'm always a bit suprised his name doesn't come up a bit more in these conversations.

I don't think he would be necessarily first choice starter, but he'd be making the 23 and improving the side

Cockatoo Run

Herbert Moran (7)
On the same weekend as the Super Rugby Pacific final (because we won't have anyone in it), play an Aussie Super Rugby XV vs Aussie Overseas XV game (series) every year and pick the Wallabies from that.

Make it our modern version of the 'All Black trials'. That might settle some arguments.

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
Given Reece Hodge has 60+ tests I'm always a bit suprised his name doesn't come up a bit more in these conversations.

I don't think he would be necessarily first choice starter, but he'd be making the 23 and improving the side
Injured for all of last season, missed round 1 of Top 14 with minor injury but should be back soon. Will be curious to see how he goes.

Argentina took heaps of Top 14 players away for their games. We can surely emulate.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
I appear to be the only no vote.

I would prefer Super Rugby AU then test matches with players selected from Super AU, they would have to be contracted to an Australian Super Rugby team for the season prior to the test matches to be eligible (or for any other Australian based club).

I dont see overseas based players making us that much better that we would see a significant change in results, we would still be heavy underdogs against SA and NZ.

We would still split series with Argentina and be favourites against lower ranked teams while always having the chance of losing in a foreseeable upset like Fiji. For years people had been talking up how much improvement they had and each world cup seemingly has at least one upset against a tier one team but for some reason losing to Fiji was the end of rugby as we know it.

I would prefer to be loyal to our players with the hope that a Wallabies jersey is worth enough to forgo some overseas money, if you can get picked from around the planet, why would you stay playing in Australia for lower wages?

eastman

Colin Windon (37)

Known winner and high performer Reece.