• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Rupeni Caucau v Jonah Lomah

Caucau or Lomu

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
Since we're in a very short Rugby off season thought I'd start a poll on the two most explosive wingers in the pro era of rugby.

All bullshit aside if you were to select just one of these players on his peak form alone, say Lomu 1995/99 RWC form & Caucua on his 2003 form & not his walkabout ways who would you select?

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I said Jonah, simply because he was just so intimidating to have in a team. He had his faults, which many teams surprisingly did not exploit very well, but was so devastating - could beat a man with speed, or run over him, or drag 4 along with him. Coach's dream. CauCau - well, at his pomp he was the one I could watch all day for purity of speed, swerve and verve. Spectator's dream.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Lomu by far more powerful, but Rupeni could beat a man with pace, swerve, amazing footwork etc etc etc and was just that much more complete.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
As much as I love Rupeni, I think of the two named it has to be Jonah.

Like a lot of hypotheticals, I think it would have been a different story if the evils behind the Darkness had kidnapped Rupeni and played him in Black.

Not sure that Jonah was the most explosive winger of the pro era. He certainly made the most impact (in its most holistic sense) of any winger. It could be argued that he is the/was the most recognisable Rugby Player.

Punters rolled through the turnstiles to see Jonah play. How fitting was it to see that big bugger score the gamebreaker in the match of the century at the Olympic Stadium in 2000?

Had the Evil Lords of Darkness got their hands on Rupeni, I am sure they would have established a similar hyperbole around him.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
Had the Evil Lords of Darkness got their hands on Rupeni, I am sure they would have established a similar hyperbole around him.

It was a relief they never got him or he'd still be running amok against us now, look at how much damage Rockokoko has caused against us & he's not half as good as Caucau.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
PS I'd still have Campo.

How about a game with Campo, Jonah, CauCau, and John Kirwan on the wings for the two combatants?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Caucau for sure. I think he is perhaps the biggest freak I have seen on the footy field. In the end I reckon Lomu was our power and size. Caucau had the strength, but he was lightning quick, and that innate ability to find space. He's in my best ever (since 1984) World XV easily and pretty much solely on the basis of the RWC in 03.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I voted for Jonah. I don't think he ever got the better of BenTune though. (Yes BenTune is now and always will be one word)

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
Bentune was easily the best defensive winger of all time it was a shame injuries cut his time in the game short as he would have been a world beater at 13 as well.

I don't think he ever got the better of BenTune though

As the yanks say "a good defense will always beat a good offense".

H

Hartman

Lomu just based on the fact that he is the single most dominant rugby player of all time.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
if any thread demanded videos this one does:

[video=youtube;enu845TMtjQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enu845TMtjQ[/video]

[video=youtube;S6qdM6O26CY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6qdM6O26CY[/video]

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Broken record time:
Need to have a Campo's greatest montage for a true comparison.

Some great tries from Rupeni. Majority of which were at S12/S14 level. As Fiji really only take on the highest level internationally on a sparodic basis, we were robbed of seeing his talent at the international level develop to its full potential.

Lomu: Whatever you may think of him, He is the global face of rugby in all countries where rugby is a fringe or unknown activity. FFS McDonalds even named a burger after him. How more marketable can you get than that?

Campo: Simply the best.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
I saw both of Caucau's games for Fiji in the RWC2003 - vs Scotland (SFS) and France (Suncorp). If there is an award for most spectacular, jaw-dropping, forehead-slapping tries, it would go to Rupeni, no doubt. But you have to vote Lomu here, I think, for havoc and devastation at his peak.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
No player in the modern era made more of an impact on the game than L\,mu. He completely changed the perception of what a back line player could be. I don't think any player since has been as much of a talking point.

Impact on the game, Lomu by a country mile. Yeah Roff, Campo etc etc all great players sure but they were never feared as quite as much by the opposition.

Caucau did some great things but he never competed for any length of time on the international stage to really judge him.

observer

Tom Lawton (22)
I saw both of Caucau's games for Fiji in the RWC2003 - vs Scotland (SFS) and France (Suncorp). If there is an award for most spectacular, jaw-dropping, forehead-slapping tries, it would go to Rupeni, no doubt.

I think that was when Rupeni ran around the "White Lomu" Rougerie between the 5 metre line and touch line. Unbelievable pace!

MrMouse

Bob Loudon (25)
The difference for me is that Lomu could have a massive impact on any ground, in any conditions, against any opponent and defensive style in the world. Put each on a fast dry track in broken play and CauCau would eat Jonah for lunch, but it's the consistent brilliance against the best that gets me going.

Status
Not open for further replies.