• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Rugby players lost to other sports

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
I thought I'd post a new thread for this so as not to clog up an existing one. Anyway, I was watching the Olympic volleyball on Saturday night between France and Poland and there were a few big athletic units playing for France which made me wonder if they ever gave rugby a crack. Further to that, it made me wonder how many rugby players here are truly lost to other sports, the NRL in particular. So, in the format of the Crim XV thread, lets see if we can construct a full 1-23 of Aussie rugby players who are truly lost to other sports.

Some rules:
1. The player must have some evidence of being a decent rugby player, let's say rep levels 17 years +. E.g. the AFL's best player doesn't count just because he is tall and can kick. Also, for example there are at least a few ex-GPS boys in the rowing program, but I have no idea how good they were at rugby.
2. For NRL players they must be truly proper ex rugby players who are lost to the code. E.g. Angus Crichton is certainly one, Nathan Cleary is not, nor would Ponga as he was put through Churchie by the Broncos.
3. Rugby players playing rugby overseas don't count
4. I will scrutinise all selections

A few obvious ones to get things going (feel free to move positions, it's just my opinion)

6. Angus Crichton (NRL - former Aus RU schoolboy)
10. Carter Gordon (NRL - former Wallaby)
14. Mark Nawaqantawase (NRL - former Wallaby)

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
I was kind of suggesting players that would be considerd current, however I'll allow these with the caveat that recency is the first tie break.

5. Michael Kasprowicz (Cricket - former Aus RU schoolboy)
6. Angus Crichton (NRL - former Aus RU schoolboy)
9. Ricky Stuart (NRL - former Aus RU schoolboy)
10. Wally Lewis (NRL - former Aus RU schoolboy)
13. Michael O'Connor (NRL - former Wallaby)
14. Mark Nawaqanitawase (NRL - former Wallaby)
15. Carter Gordon (NRL - former Wallaby)

Last edited:

Bob Peters

Peter Burge (5)
Must be loads of ex-Aust schoolboys rugby players who went on to NRL ... Cooper Cronk, Tepai Moeroa etc

Basketballer Warwick Giddey (long time NBL player for Illawarra & Melb Tigers - and Josh Giddey's dad) played second row in the 1985 Aust Schoolboys rugby team (and made Aust. Schools league and basketball as well) before choosing basketball.

Didn't Grae Morris (won a sailboarding silver medal last week) play 1st XV at Cranbrook?

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
Yeah I was hoping to find a few more from other sports. Cronk is a grey area one as he was playing both codes and played Aus Schools in both, although I think a year apart. Moeroa is eliminated on the basis he tried to come back to rugby and was a massive fail. Good pick up re Giddey, I know Grae Morris was also an Easts junior but like the rowers that doesn't mean he was rep standard.

Anyway, keep throwing them at me, it's an ongoing project

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
If you're happy to look a while back, Colin Scotts would have been a real get.
absolutely, was he a lock or a loosie do you know? I'm guessing he's locking down with Kasprowicz. Edit : based on the Giddey pick up he can be 8 for now.

Highlander35

Steve Williams (59)
Rowan Marshall from St Kilda is one that would probably be in the Super Rugby system if his parents moved to country Queensland/NSW instead of country VIC from Taranaki.

201cm, hundred and something kilos at AFL playing weight, soft hands, loves a tackle, has Rugby Pedigree: cousins with Rhys Marshall and Callum Gibbons.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
what about the massive unit playing tight end / defensive lineman for the Eagles, Mailaita. did he play union or only RL?

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Is that the bloke formerly known as John Ribot?
Yeah, but prior to that JR de Bresac. Played back row I think in Rugby but on the wing in league. Was a successful Kangaroo.

A check of Wikipedia shows that JR might not have played Rugby beforehand. My memory is certainly playing tricks if not failing in old age. Looks like a successful administrator post playing days though. Might be a good one to switch the other way and come to Rugby?

Last edited:

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
Yeah, but prior to that JR de Bresac. Played back row I think in Rugby but on the wing in league. Was a successful Kangaroo.

A check of Wikipedia shows that JR might not have played Rugby beforehand. My memory is certainly playing tricks if not failing in old age. Looks like a successful administrator post playing days though. Might be a good one to switch the other way and come to Rugby?
I remember his footy card - a Magpie from memory?