• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Ruck Stats - England V Wallabies - 3 Dec 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
The opening 20 minutes had the Wallabies showing the best intensity and work rate that they've shown on the Spring Tour.

Wallabies -Missed Penalty Goal, 1 disallowed try (Pocock's knock on), 2 good efforts held up over the line and a cracker to Sef Naivalu.

England - Clawed their way back up to half-time with a Try (Joseph) and 2 x PGs.

10 minutes into the 2nd half and 2 more tries (Yardie & Youngs) and England had the game won.
Wallabies had lost all of the work rate and intensity. England was winning scums and stealing lineouts, carrying the ball with confidence and Young was box-kicking with perfection. Wallabies were dropping ball, kicking away possession, passing to nobody and lacking any semblance of discipline. What's happened to Hodge's long kicking? Why can't the Wallabies find touch/gain territory with their kicks? Wallabies had only 38% Possession in 2nd half and 18% Territory. Tragic end to the Spring Tour of 2016.

The highlight of the game for me was Sekope Kepu's best game for the season. Fantastic breakaway try at 66 minutes and the earlier one held up over the line.

Possession - roughly 50:50; Territory - 54% to England
England won 96% (79/82) of their rucks; Wallabies 95% (90/94).
Tackling: England 85% (116 of 136); Wallabies 79% (83/105).
Turnovers conceded: England 11; Wallabies 16.
Penalties: England 7; Wallabies 10.

Remember:
1. Early means 1st or 2nd of player’s team AFTER the ball carrier has been tackled and brought to ground.
2. Impact means active engagement: strong physical contact, changed shape of ruck, clean-out, protecting ball etc. (more than hand on someone’s bum or arriving after the hard work has been done). Yes it’s subjective - but as I collect all data at least it’s consistent.
3. Impact DOES NOT equate to Effectiveness. I’ve concluded that coming up with an effectiveness measure is just too hard in the time that I have available – but open to suggestions.

2016-12-11_13-52-51.jpg

2016-12-11_13-53-12.jpg

Once again a Lock led the RIs for England.

Pocock once again the leading TRIs for the Wallabies and the standout for DRIs.
I'm really intertested to see how the game plan changes in 2017 to compensate for his absence.

Ruck Involvements over Time

2016-12-11_13-53-51.jpg
2016-12-11_13-54-17.jpg

Great opening 20 minutes by the Wallabies but almost total capitulation against a rampant England in the opening 20 mins of the 2nd half.

Best Efforts by Backs:
England: Mike Brown - 14 Total (8 Attack/6 Defence); Joesph - 11T (11A/0D)

Wallabies: Kuridrani - 9T (6A/3D); Hodge - 8T (8A/0D)

More stats in the next post.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
2016-12-11_13-54-38.jpg

England efforts fairly evenly distributed across main player groups.

2016-12-11_13-54-55.jpg

Fairly even spread of support for the ball carriers in each team.

2016-12-11_13-55-32.jpg

Impressive DRIs from England Front Row.
Pocock had 25% of Wallabies DRIs.
Strong contributions from Kepu & Moore.
Big efforts from McMahon in only 14 mins.
England Backs very involved. Wallabies Backs very subdued.

2016-12-11_13-56-10.jpg

Both teams supported their ball carriers to about the same extent.
England averaged 2.3 players per Attack Ruck; Wallabies 2.4

2016-12-11_13-56-27.jpg

England stood Defence Rucks more than the Wallabies.
England averaged 0.6 players per Def Ruck; Wallabies 0.9. Generally England was quicker to the ruck forcing involvement from the Wallabies.
Wallabies almost 2 x the involvement of 2 or more players.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Thanks forcefan. Maybe pocock leaving might see a more even distribution of work load in the forwards.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

dru

David Wilson (68)
FF (Folau Fainga'a) on the attack stats, how hard is it to split pod 1 (locks plus Timani) and pod 2 (front row so already done) and the flankers in the tram tracks?

Love your work.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
FF (Folau Fainga'a) on the attack stats, how hard is it to split pod 1 (locks plus Timani) and pod 2 (front row so already done) and the flankers in the tram tracks?

Love your work.

very easy to do Dru....you have all of the data. :)

I don't keep any data on the location of the rucks.

By observation re the Wallabies:
  • The Front Row generally stick to the centre of the pitch - sort of half way between the posts and 5m line.
  • The Locks have a roaming brief outside of the Front Row the FR space.
  • The Flankers tend to play to the side lines and everywhere in between.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
And I saw somewhere that Douglas was credited with one tackle only in the whole time he was on the field. Has anyone posted the full tackle stats for the game anywhere?

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
And I saw somewhere that Douglas was credited with one tackle only in the whole time he was on the field. Has anyone posted the full tackle stats for the game anywhere?

Douglas is credited with 1 Tackle. 4 carries for 2m gain.

Others as follows (from ESPN - the only source for EOYT):
Pocock - 13 Tackles (1 MT)
Hooper - 12T/0MT
Moore - 12T/0MT
Sio - 12T/0MT
Timani - 9T/0MT
Kuridrani - 9T/3MT
DHP - 6T/1MT
Hodge - 6T/0MT
Kepu - 6T/2MT
Simmons - 5T/1MT
Naivalu - 5T/2MT
Foley - 4T/2MT
Robertson - 4T/1MT
Others - <3T
McMahon - 1MT.

For England:
Kruis - 17/0; Lawes - 13/1; Cole - 11/0; Hartley - 11/0; Vunipola - 11/1; Ford - 9/0; Hughes - 9/2.
(I like hard working Locks! England's Tight 5 the top tacklers! My kind of team!!)

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
For completeness, here's the Pocock v Hooper comparison for the last ~12 months (including the RWC).
Surprisingly consistent.
Hooper's ability to stay on the pitch very impressive.

21-12-2016 5-48-24 PM.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.