• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round 12: Waratahs v Brumbies Sat 11th 7.35PM @ ALLIANZ STADIUM

Oldgoldminer

Allen Oxlade (6)
I actually think none of these are true anymore. They are more or less broke, Melbourne is neck and neck with Sydney for population (has it taken over?) and I think Qland probably has more juniors?
Don’t ‘actually think’ just stick to facts

IMG_0205.jpeg

IMG_0206.jpeg

IMG_0207.jpeg

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Population means fuck all.

Rugby playing population is what we're talking about in real terms and Sydney has Melbourne covered by the length of the straight and a fair bit more.

If your development systems are shit, it won't matter

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
No. But I didn't actually think the Brumbies were all that flash this game. We (Tahs) had some early opportunities we just didn't convert and we chewed up way too much time in the 22 converting our last try.

I felt Jed had a really solid game. He's got to be in the Wallabies mix. Walton had some lovely moments and the forwards generally fronted up well. One of the better games from Mark in awhile. The Brumbies just know how to push the breakdown line with the ref and their ruck security is generally just better. It really was the difference in the end as their attacking plays/structures were all a bit meh, even in the dry first half.
Definitely a moral victory for the Tahs. Undefeated champions of the moral competition.

Reactions: mst

Oldgoldminer

Allen Oxlade (6)
Population means fuck all.

Rugby playing population is what we're talking about in real terms and Sydney has Melbourne covered by the length of the straight and a fair bit more.

If your development systems are shit, it won't matter
Population means a lot for supporters and sponsors. Thinking it’s purely based around Juniors playing is madness. It’s all needed to have healthy franchises.

griffins

Darby Loudon (17)
So the Brumby forward back was dominant although I thought Swinton and Holloway had a good showing in the back row.

Joey Walton had a strong game and (Brumby Runner will hate this) Jake Gordon outshone Lonergan.
Keen to hear if anyone else thinks Gordon had the better game. Lonergan's speed/quality of service and the welcome return of his accurate box kicking game had him clearly in front. Gordon's try was one that all competent halfbacks should score.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
So the Brumby forward back was dominant although I thought Swinton and Holloway had a good showing in the back row.

Joey Walton had a strong game and (Brumby Runner will hate this) Jake Gordon outshone Lonergan.
Keen to hear if anyone else thinks Gordon had the better game. Lonergan's speed/quality of service and the welcome return of his accurate box kicking game had him clearly in front. Gordon's try was one that all competent halfbacks should score.
I also thought Gordon outpointed Lonners on the night. Ryan seems to have gone off the boil a bit lately and I wonder if he's carrying some niggles?

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Doesn’t help with the injuries (16 with 10 front row) they’ve had. Looks like Jack Barrett will have to back up after tonight’s injury with Harry Johnson-Holmes tonight’s game vs Brumbies???
I can't help but wonder if the amount of injuries is a byproduct of playing a mainly a high physically forwards power game and the training that goes with that? It appears to be a disproportionately high injury rate compared to other teams.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I honestly just think it’s really bad luck and squeezing the squad so hard to try and keep up and they aren’t that good. You break…

The fact it’s so front row heavy is something that should be looked at. Sinclair, Holloway, Amatosero, Hanigan, Swinton, Gamble have carried a big load and been fine.

Amatosero deserves a bit of credit. He’s been improving all year and a menace at the mauls with pretty good leg speed for a big man. Ridiculous to compare him to Skelton current day when even he wasn’t close to what he is now at 21 years old. Give miles another couple of years and he’ll be a dominant force.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
I actually thought that was one of the Tahs better games in an otherwise woeful season. Imo they actually created enough opportunities to win the game, but were continually let down with handling errors at crucial times. They also gave away a string of penalties early in the game, although they did seem to correct that as the game went on. Holloway, Swinton and Walton had big games, Gamble, Amatosero, Foketi and Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) were also pretty solid. And a special hats off to the clubies in the front row, I thought they stood up really well under the circumstances.

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
I actually thought that was one of the Tahs better games in an otherwise woeful season. Imo they actually created enough opportunities to win the game, but were continually let down with handling errors at crucial times. They also gave away a string of penalties early in the game, although they did seem to correct that as the game went on. Holloway, Swinton and Walton had big games, Gamble, Amatosero, Foketi and Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) (Nawaqanitawase) were also pretty solid. And a special hats off to the clubies in the front row, I thought they stood up really well under the circumstances.
Yes that sums it up all right. The handling errors in the first half were absolute coach killers and sucked out all the momentum. I'd almost say the score flattered the Brumbies, but realistically they were too good

Cuz

Herbert Moran (7)
Anyone notice after the Brumbies try in the north east corner with Charlie Gamble & Mark Nawaqanitawase in the 2nd half(??). Both players were on the ground, Mark offers his hand to help him up & Charlie pushed his hand away twice. Maybe not everything is sweet in Tah land...

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Anyone notice after the Brumbies try in the north east corner with Charlie Gamble & Mark Nawaqanitawase in the 2nd half(??). Both players were on the ground, Mark offers his hand to help him up & Charlie pushed his hand away twice. Maybe not everything is sweet in Tah land...
You'd hope not with how they're playing.

Not saying it's good or ideal but players blow up at each other all the time.

It's not Lote on Norton-Knight level.