• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Reds v Wales, Suncorp Stadium - 19/7

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Really excited for this game. Had a go at working out the squad we're working with:

Available:
Richie Asiata
Sef Fa'agase
Massimo De Lutiis
Jeffery Toomaga-Allen
George Blake
Josh Canham
Connor Vest
Taine Roiri
Connor Anderson
Seru Uru
Joe Brial
John Bryant
Louis Werchon
Lawson Creighton
James O'Connor
Tim Ryan
Jock Campbell
Mac Grealy
Floyd Aubrey
Will Cartwright (called up from club)

Injured:

Isaac Henry
Jordan Petaia
Cormac Daly
Suliasi Vunivalu
Kalani Thomas
Taj Annan

Test Squads:

Zane Nonggorr
Alex Hodgman
Matt Faessler
Josh Nasser
Ryan Smith
Angus Blyth
Fraser McReight
Liam Wright
Harry Wilson
Tate McDermott
Tom Lynagh
Hunter Paisami
Josh Flook
Filipo Daugunu

Peni Ravai (Fiji)

Under 20s

Harry McLaughlin-Phillips
Frankie Goldsborough

I imagine some of those Wallabies will be released, but hard to know who or how many. Under 20s won't be back.

Last edited:

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Given the quality of the Welsh squad and the fact they might rest a few, I think a Reds win is very likely. This would be especially true if Lynagh is sent back to play a full game for the experience. From what I saw tonight, all the Reds need to do is stop the Welsh maul and they won't score a point.

Adam84

Phil Kearns (64)
I’d expect Lynagh, Nasser, Zander, Blyth, Nonggor, Hodgman, Smith, Wilson & McDermott to be released from wallabies if fit.. Players who aren’t starting in Wallabies and where there are alternatives in the squad if they’re on the bench

Joe Schmidt might prefer to keep the starting Reds (Faesler, McReight, Paisami, Flook & Daugunu) in Wallabies camp which is fair enough.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Hard to say with how poor Nic White played. Do you see with Lonergan brings off the bench and allow Tate 60 minutes against the Welsh?

Wilson is another hard call. Is it better for him to have 60+ minutes against the Welsh v 20+ against Georgia? I'd say the former is better for his return to the game and better prepares him for TRC.

drewprint

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
It sounds like Schmidt and Kiss are fairly close and respect each others work and opinion greatly, so I wonder if this plays into selections a bit. With this in mind, I’d like to see:

Fa’agase
Nasser
JTA
Canham
Smith
Uru
Bryant
Wilson
Werchon
JOC (James O'Connor) (would love HMP there but highly unlikely)
Creighton
Flook (if Ikitau is fit)
Ryan
Grealy
Campbell

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
I think Canham would be the ideal type of Lock to bolster the Wallabies right now. He is a tower of strength at the lineout, tackles like he wants to hurt the runner, hits the breakdown, is capable of breaking the line with his carries and most importantly can disrupt an opposing maul. There are significant weaknesses in the Wallabies second row currently. Williams and LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) are having little impact around the ground, are marginal at the lineout and don't contribute enough (along with the likes of Tupou) in defending lineout mauls close to the line. I'd like to see the Wallabies starting with LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) and Smith with Canham on the bench. That being three Reds Locks, it is relevant to the discussion on this thread.

drewprint

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Just realised I forgot about Nongorr. Play him too if he’s not used in the Georgia game.

BR, good comments. I could see Smith getting a shot vs Georgia but maybe not Canham yet, being out of the squad as you said in the match thread. I don’t think there will be too many changes overall.

Super interesting to see where the chips fall.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Front row releases might be tricky, even if they've had a full replacement front row warming up with the squad. Schmidt might need to call in extras if he's going to release any of Nonggorr, Hodgman, Faessler or Nasser.

PhilClinton

Tony Shaw (54)
Very excited for this one. First time going to a live sports game with a large group (20+) for a number of years. Should be a crisp Brisbane evening.

I am hoping for a close game. Wales put up a good fight for both Wallabies tests and won't want to leave Australia 0-3. I am not sure how many subs they will throw into this game.

The Ghost of Raelene

Steve Williams (59)
I wonder if he might like them getting the run before the TRC but I would understand a conservative approach since. I was left wondering the effectiveness of AAA moving forward after those Tests. Try aside he didn't dominate the scrum contest and isn't effective around the field.

Strewthcobber

Steve Williams (59)
Anyone want to guess crowd figures? How many can we get to this?
Looks like most of the gold/platinum tickets on the bottom tier have been sold, but still plenty of cheaper seats on the ends available. Top tier doesn't look open.

Based on that I'll guess 13k - 18k

Last edited:

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Looks like Matt Gibbon and Lachie Anderson have officially signed with the Reds. I know Gibbon has been playing Hospital's cup so there is a chance at least he will have been training with the squad and is ready to go for this game.