• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Reds v Sunwolves, Round 13, 21 May 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Apparently Kerevi will be back, as will Karmichael Hunt, which is great.

Ant Fainga'a perhaps under pressure? At least that's what the papers are saying.

We really can't afford to take this game lightly.

It's a Saturday arvo game, so I hope there's plenty of people there.

Doubt it though.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Who would be likely to replace Ant? Magnay at 13 with Kerevi at 12? Or Paia'aia at 12? Can't see Goromaru retaining the 15 spot with Hunt going into 12 or 13.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Magnay has gone OK at 13- not terrific as some posters allude to.

Kerevi is a real chance at 12 for the Wallabies. Why not give him a couple of games there to increase his prospects of higher selection. If he can bust them a couple of times the young fella Magnay) can benefit bigtime.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Magnay has gone OK at 13- not terrific as some posters allude to.

Mate I don't think that anyone has said he's gone terrific. Most people have praised his effort and acknowledged his errors but added that he has done some really good things. He has been given a chance and he looks like a guy who's doing everything he can to take it with both hands. More of that please!

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Mate I don't think that anyone has said he's gone terrific. Most people have praised his effort and acknowledged his errors but added that he has done some really good things. He has been given a chance and he looks like a guy who's doing everything he can to take it with both hands. More of that please!

Actually Reg posted his "stats" on another thread TOCC and others agreed. Looked to me, Reg and others thought he had a great game (in isolation). To me he went OK, but just OK - that is to be expected.​
All I've said about the bloke is that I hope he improves. Seriously fucked up bigtime at least once in that game.​
It looks to me Scoey that he is taking his chance and will only improve as he gets more game time.​

T

TOCC

Yeah no one said that he went terrific, I liked Reg's post because he put forward and argument backed up with stats which showed Magnay had some real positives in that game.

It's easy to point at that defensive misread Magnay made and use that to smash the bloke, but I think he showed some real balls to get back up and play a positive style of rugby after that happened. Plenty of other players would have had their confidence shaken and gone into a shell for the rest of the game.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Yeah no one said that he went terrific, I liked Reg's post because he put forward and argument backed up with stats which showed Magnay had some real positives in that game.

It's easy to point at that defensive misread Magnay made and use that to smash the bloke, but I think he showed some real balls to get back up and play a positive style of rugby after that happened. Plenty of other players would have had their confidence shaken and gone into a shell for the rest of the game.

Yes, at least they are some glimmers of quality in the young 2016 Reds. And glimmers may be just good enough......for now.

I guess we are all just desperately searching for small mercies in the face of the catastrophic, deep and long-sustained destruction of our Reds during the Graham era and all that went with it, as the echoes of this tragedy ring around an empty Suncorp and the minds of the passionate few that remain.

Like survivors of a nuclear winter we are, ecstatic that just a handful of others of like ilk have been discovered barely alive under some contaminated rubble. Even the smallest signs of life give some reassurance that there may come a better day.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Yes, at least they are some glimmers of quality in the young 2016 Reds. And glimmers may be just good enough..for now.

I guess we are all just desperately searching for small mercies in the face of the catastrophic, deep and long-sustained destruction of our Reds during the Graham era and all that went with it, as the echoes of this tragedy ring around an empty Suncorp and the minds of the passionate few that remain.

Like survivors of a nuclear winter we are, ecstatic that just a handful of others of like ilk have been discovered barely alive under some contaminated rubble. Even the smallest signs of life give some reassurance that there may come a better day.

You don't sound that ecstatic, to be honest. o_O

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
You don't sound that ecstatic, to be honest. o_O

Well, OK. Maybe not ecstatic but the point is true.

But in all seriousness what I have found most heartening and really encouraging this year has been the excellence of both the players in and the performances of the 2016 Reds U20 team. Now there is some class in the making. Or so one hopes.

I have followed this team closely in online streamed mode, been to some of their games, and watched with due admiration how they have improved and grown. Like many here, I like rugby excellence in the flesh and detest, at elite levels, obvious rugby incompetence and poor skills.

Just as important, I know from my sideline days at Churchie just how good a coach is Jason Gilmore. He has been the key there (along with B Thorn of course) within the Reds U20 side, just as he and the new (from NSW) backs coach are for the 2016 Australia U20s side as they gradually improve that team (made for them more difficult as Thompson is not a good HC of the national U20s and is a central reason why they've underperformed for some years under his guidance).

There are still many gems scattered around QLD rugby.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
St.George Queensland Reds side to play Sunwolves
3:05pm, Saturday 21 May, Suncorp Stadium

1. James Slipper (C)
2. Andrew Ready
3. Greg Holmes
4. Cadeyrn Neville
5. Rob Simmons
6. Hendrik Tui
7. Liam Gill
8. Curtis Browning
9. Nick Frisby
10. Jake McIntyre
11. Eto Nabuli
12. Anthony Fainga’a
13. Campbell Magnay
14. Chris Feauai-Sautia
15. Ayumu Goromaru

16. Matt Mafi
17. Sef Fa’agase
18. Sam Talakai
19. Ben Matwijow
20. Michael Gunn
21. James Tuttle
22. Duncan Paia’aua
23. Junior Laloifi

Reactions: gel

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Starting side about as good as we have available -

Looks like the Coaches (certainly MOC) are persevering to the death with Jake.

Reds to win

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
jake will be there for the season now and I don't think we'll see Greene again (perhaps ever in Red).

Kerevi possibly still a chance for Saturday's game apparently. Fitness test on Saturday

Pieman

Ward Prentice (10)
jake will be there for the season now and I don't think we'll see Greene again (perhaps ever in Red).

Kerevi possibly still a chance for Saturday's game apparently. Fitness test on Saturday
Interesting Reg. Is that because you think they're close to signing another 10?

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
Sunwolves: 15 Riaan Viljoen, 14 Akihito Yamada, 13 Derek Carpenter, 12 Harumichi Tatekawa (c), 11 John Stewart, 10 Tusi Pisi, 9 Atsushi Hiwasa, 8 Ed Quirk, 7 Andrew Durutalo, 6 Liaki Moli, 5 Fa’ Atiga Lemalu, 4 Timothy Bond, 3 Shinnosuke Kakinaga, 2 Takeshi Kizu, 1 Masataka Mikami. Replacements: 16 Shota Horie, 17 Keita Inagaki , 18 Takuma Asahara, 19 Yoshiya Hosoda, 20 Taiyo Ando, 21 Yuki Yatomi, 22 Yu Tamura, 23 Mifiposeti Paea

Unchanged XV & only one change in the 23, Inagaki for Gu.

Reds by 15+, surely.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Neville finally starts ahead of Matwijow. Thought Matwijow has been ok, but Neville was better at the start of the season, and Neville has been better off the bench too in recent weeks.

Bit worried about this game, Sunwolves have started to go OK in recent weeks. And, our backline looks really pedestrian.

Status
Not open for further replies.