• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Reds 2019

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
What Samu actually said

“I’m just focusing on what’s in front of me at the moment and that’s here and now,” Kerevi replied, when asked of his plans beyond 2019.
“I want to win a Super Rugby title and I want to win it with these boys here.
“I believe it can happen (this year).
“It’s a young team, stepping up and pushing the boundaries.”

What Thorn actually said

“If you know anything about me, I love winning titles,” he said.
“What’s the point of doing all the work if you don’t have something inside you that wants to be there in that last game?
“So we’re pretty driven but on the other side of that, if you know me, I don’t like talking stuff up so we’ll just quietly go to work.”

The gall of them!

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
Comparing the new squad to the one that was announced around this time last year (perhaps a little earlier):

Returning players:

Taniela Tupou, Harry Hoopert, JP Smith, Alex Mafi, Brandon Paenga-Amosa, Izack Rodda, Lukhan Salakai-Loto, Angus Blythe, Harry Hockings, Scott Higginbotham, Adam Korczyk, Caleb Timu, Angus Scott-Young, Liam Wright, Moses Sorovi, James Tuttle, Tate McDermott, Hamish Stewart, Chris Feauai-Sautia, Samu Kerevi, Duncan Paia’aua, Filipo Daugunu

At prop the departing players have been:

Sef Fa'agase, James Slipper and Markus Vanzati

replaced by Feao Fotuaika, Gavin Luka and Ruan Smith (who was a late signing last year).

Hooker:

Andrew Ready 'replaced by' Efi Ma'afu

Lock:

No one has replaced Kane Douglas

Backrow:

Gone are Michael Gunn, Reece Hewat and George Smith

replaced by Fraser McReight and Harry Wilson (so one less backrower)

Scrumhalves:

Frisby is gone and we haven't replaced him (but had 4 in the squad last year)

Flyhalves:

Quade is gone and Hegarty is there plus Matt McGahan kind of taking up one of the scrumhalf spots

Centres:

Same

Outside backs:

Hunt, Maranta, Nabuli and Perese all gone

In are Jack Hardy, Jock Campbell, Will Eadie, Sefa Naivalu, Jordan Petaia, Teti Tela and Aidan Toua (both Toua and Petaia obviously got contracts of sort last year).

I find it concerning how much quality and experience either hasn't been replaced, or been replaced by more rookies.

Slipper replaced by Luka, Douglas by noone, Smith by noone, Quade by Mcgahan, Hunt by Hardy, Nabuli by Eadie and Perese by Campbell. No way we have come out stronger after that.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I find it concerning how much quality and experience either hasn't been replaced, or been replaced by more rookies.

Slipper replaced by Luka, Douglas by noone, Smith by noone, Quade by Mcgahan, Hunt by Hardy, Nabuli by Eadie and Perese by Campbell. No way we have come out stronger after that.

Three of those players didn't play or barely played last season though.

Presumably the Reds are still wearing some of their salaries for 2019 as well.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

I guess the other way you could put it is:

Slipper replaced by Ruan Smith
Vanzati and Fa'agase replaced by Feao and Gavin (normal attrition of players)

Quade replaced by Heagarty

Hunt replaced by Petaia

Nabuli replaced by Naiavalu

Perese left late in the piece so we grabbed Hardy.

Douglas hasn't been replaced, and we might be stretched with just four locks (not sure who covers from the Development squad?).

Smith wasn't sustainable for a number of reasons. Plus we needed to lock in our young gun 7s.

Sometimes it's just a perspective thing.

emuarse

Chilla Wilson (44)
I guess the other way you could put it is:

Slipper replaced by Ruan Smith
Vanzati and Fa'agase replaced by Feao and Gavin (normal attrition of players)

Quade replaced by Heagarty

Hunt replaced by Petaia

Nabuli replaced by Naiavalu

Perese left late in the piece so we grabbed Hardy.

Douglas hasn't been replaced, and we might be stretched with just four locks (not sure who covers from the Development squad?).

Smith wasn't sustainable for a number of reasons. Plus we needed to lock in our young gun 7s.

Sometimes it's just a perspective thing.

And I think its well worth taking into account the 'other' Reds team - the coaching team.
Therein could be the improvement.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
After he Alred was announced as the kicking coach I purchased The Pressure Principle: Handle Stress, Harness Energy, and Perform When It Counts. There is not one page where he doesn't say "when I coached Jonny Wilkinson". It is pretty tough going.

However I am stoked he is on board.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Squad for the Rebels:

Forwards
Harry Hoopert
Feao Fotuaika
Ruan Smith
Gavin Luka
Brandon Paenga-Amosa
Efi Ma’afu
Lukhan Salakaia-Loto
Harry Hockings
Angus Blyth
Angus Scott-Young
Liam Wright
Caleb Timu
Adam Korczyk
Fraser McReight
Scott Higginbotham

Backs
Moses Sorovi
Tate McDermott
Scott Malolua
Hamish Stewart
Teti Tela
Duncan Paia’aua
Chris Feauai-Sautia
Filipo Daugunu
Jock Campbell
Bryce Hegarty
Jack Hardy
Will Eadie
Isaac Lucas

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
From that I'd like to see:

1 Harry Hoopert
2 Brandon Paenga-Amosa
3 Ruan Smith
4 Lukhan Salakaia-Loto
5 Harry Hockings
6 Caleb Timu
7 Liam Wright
8 Scott Higginbotham
9 Tate McDermott
10 Hamish Stewart
11 Filipo Daugunu
12 Duncan Paia’aua
13 Chris Feauai-Sautia
14 Jock Campbell
15 Bryce Hegarty

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Who is missing from the likely Super starters Reg? I can think of JP Smith, Rodda, maybe Higgers. Kerevi and Naivalu. Any others?

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Thanks RR and SX; Tupou is a definite starter and I'd really like to see Kerevi at 12 with Petaia at 13 for the Reds, and FU to Cheika if he wants anything different.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Is JP tied up playing with his sausage and can't make the trip to Melbourne or has he picked up an injury?

SouthernX

John Thornett (49)
Is JP tied up playing with his sausage and can't make the trip to Melbourne or has he picked up an injury?

My guess is these 2 players (tupou/petaia) were on tour with wallabies and are having a mandated break (same logic for Rodda). Kerevi in different boat cause he is returning from injury and wallabies tour might not of been enough game time/fitness for someone returning to super rugby