• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

NW Schools Rugby Championship

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Not sure whether this fits under an existing thread, so took an executive decision to create one :)

A group of schools out this way are engaging in a bit of competition to give the lads something outside the normal channels. The competition is for "Youth" (U14) and "Intermediate" (U16) with the following involved:

Arndell Anglican College
Penrith Anglican College (U16 only)
Redfield/Pacific Hills
Rouse Hill Anglican College
William Clarke College

The Instagram account is here:

A couple of the schools are nearby to Renegades Rugby, so we've offered to help out where we can with hosting, providing match officials, etc. (hopefully builds some bridges for recruitment and continuity in the game).

The trophies are absolutely great, BTW:

DaSchmooze

Jim Clark (26)
They're also not showing up as an ISA School anymore. I assume this means they've pulled out of all Saturday sport as well. That's a real shame as they were quite strong in ISA Div 2

The Ghost of Raelene

Simon Poidevin (60)
I hope this is successful enough to run for years to come.

I have a feeling the potential for more sides to join will grow as a result of financial pressures in the community. Some kids who may have been sent to a GPS or CAS School in years gone by may be sent to other options. They can bring the same interests to the Schools.

Also, the natural growth of Sydney and geographic push will play a part. I may be off but I heard someone talking about this with the seeming rapid rise of Oakhill in standard and depth.

DaSchmooze

Jim Clark (26)
I hope this is successful enough to run for years to come.

I have a feeling the potential for more sides to join will grow as a result of financial pressures in the community. Some kids who may have been sent to a GPS or CAS School in years gone by may be sent to other options. They can bring the same interests to the Schools.

Also, the natural growth of Sydney and geographic push will play a part. I may be off but I heard someone talking about this with the seeming rapid rise of Oakhill in standard and depth.
And following on from that, the (relatively) cheaper school fees at Oakhill compared to that of a GPS or CAS school makes attending Oakhill even more appealing if you're a Rugby family.

It's such a massive growth area of Sydney out there and Oakhill have the place all to themselves.

The Ghost of Raelene

Simon Poidevin (60)
People seem to be heading towards more and more private schooling at various degrees of cost.

Can Rugby benefit? May have lost CHS but could another tier emerge....

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
It's such a massive growth area of Sydney out there and Oakhill have the place all to themselves.

It is, and it isn't. We're in the middle of Kellyville, and as I've said in the Subbies thread, the majority of the growth in the area is immigration-based, being south/east Asian by and large. It will be a while before I can take advantage of kids who played at "the right school" ;)

Oakhill are probably the strongest in the area and I'm seeing a few of their lads head to Eastwood or higher.

Speaking of Eastwood: while their base of players may increasingly be from around this area, likewise Castle Hill is undergoing significant demographic change as the high rise developments increase, particularly around the Metro line. It'll be interesting to see where that goes.

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
People seem to be heading towards more and more private schooling at various degrees of cost.

Can Rugby benefit? May have lost CHS but could another tier emerge....

Several public high schools in the area aren't "big" Rugby League schools, so there are options for dual code recruitment.

Initiatives like this competition can help, even if the schools aren't going to put up massive rugby programs (PAC had 1 reserve yesterday).

The question is whether it can live beyond the individuals who have established it and are running it today. I'm certainly on board

Surprised to see a combined team from Redfield. I would have thought they'd have a standalone squad

I believe their new Principal - also coach of Redfield Old Boys Rugby - is going to help turn that around, with the help of those Old Boys, hopefully.

DaSchmooze

Jim Clark (26)
I believe their new Principal - also coach of Redfield Old Boys Rugby - is going to help turn that around, with the help of those Old Boys, hopefully.
That's good to hear. Pound for pound Redfield are (were) right up there as one of the most consistent Rugby schools doing the rounds. The Old Boys club seemed to emulate their school program too. Not a massive program but always consistent.

Crashy

John Solomon (38)
This is great news. Has to be a good thing for local clubs if they can recruit and possibly another rugby playing school in the Penrith area that the re-set Penrith Emus can draw from to create a healthy colts program. The lifeblood of a club in the eyes of many.

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Arndell got over Rouse Hill Anglican 24-7 today in U16 just before the weather closed in.

RHAC had all the ball early and looked pretty sharp. Arndell a little more structured in Rugby terms and had more pill in the back end.