• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW Schools Debating 2024

DylanBrown32

Frank Row (1)
I've heard Kings have a fresh new debater. His name is Gardner Dowling, from what I've heard about him, he is a very good debater, and should be a great addition to the Kings program. Will be interesting to see how Dowling goes, hopefully he doesn't choke under the pressure of GPS debating.

Regards,

Stalin

Dear Mr Stalin,

I have heard this. Have you heard about the new Trinity prospect Jack Wallis. I heard he doesn't take no for an answer during his debates.

Cheers,
Dylan

debatinglover567

Frank Row (1)
I've heard Kings have a fresh new debater. His name is Gardner Dowling, from what I've heard about him, he is a very good debater, and should be a great addition to the Kings program. Will be interesting to see how Dowling goes, hopefully he doesn't choke under the pressure of GPS debating.

Regards,

Stalin
Dear Man of Steel,

Thank you for your insightful insights into the GPS pecking order for this calendrical year. I can absolutely concur with your points about the esteemed Mr Dowling. Gardner has been fantastic and rumour has it he achieved 16/15 in his general knowledge test.

G_Spot_Gremlin

Frank Row (1)
piggy backing off Chip n Chase piggy backing off of OffPutPlayer. Here is the TLDR GPS predictions because debating is never that deep.

1. Grammar - What more must I need say
2. Joeys - 3 peat will be just edged
3. Shore - Kwak goes quack
4. Riverview - Here because of teams below
5. Scots - Mid
6. High - Turramurra High School, what more must I need say
7. Kings - https://gps2023.calicotab.com/1/tab/team/
8. Newington - adjudicator cannot hear speeches admist the crys of old newtonians and airplanes

SuperCrimson

Frank Row (1)
piggy backing off Chip n Chase piggy backing off of OffPutPlayer. Here is the TLDR GPS predictions because debating is never that deep.

1. Grammar - What more must I need say
2. Joeys - 3 peat will be just edged
3. Shore - Kwak goes quack
4. Riverview - Here because of teams below
5. Scots - Mid
6. High - Turramurra High School, what more must I need say
7. Kings - https://gps2023.calicotab.com/1/tab/team/
8. Newington - adjudicator cannot hear speeches admist the crys of old newtonians and airplanes
Piggy backing off G_Spot_gremlin piggybacking off Chip n' Chaser piggy backing off OffPutPlayer; perphaps Joeys and Shore get swapped. I think both teams must have similar issues with depth, but in Kwak we must trust.

Also, reasoning for King's at 7 is fickle at best.

OutsideSentHer13

Allen Oxlade (6)
Well after an Octos round with very few upsets, here are the predictions for the Quarters

Abbotsleigh v Queenwood: Abbotsleigh
Very interesting matchup between two strong schools. I have Abbotsleigh coming out on top based on their pool performances being strong as well as having quite a good program overall. Wouldn't be surprised if this went the other way though. Probably will depend on topic.

Grammar v Aloys: Grammar
The finals rematch. Interesting to see these two teams meet so early but Grammar seems to be the pick of everyone this year whereas Aloys lost a lot of their best speakers due to debaters graduating. I think Grammar should get the job done but Aloys should never be discounted.

Cranbrook v Newington: Newington
Cranbrook have been surprising this year but I think they'll meet their match against Newington. Both teams went 6 and 1 this year so should be a good contest. Honestly this could be another toss up however I believe the Newington will get the job done.

Riverview v Kings: Riverview
Both schools have strong speakers but Riverview, in my opinion, has much more depth as a program. Riverview should take this one.

Would love to know what everyone else is thinking as we strap in for a very competitive run to the finals.

SuperCrimson

Frank Row (1)
Well after an Octos round with very few upsets, here are the predictions for the Quarters

Abbotsleigh v Queenwood: Abbotsleigh
Very interesting matchup between two strong schools. I have Abbotsleigh coming out on top based on their pool performances being strong as well as having quite a good program overall. Wouldn't be surprised if this went the other way though. Probably will depend on topic.

Grammar v Aloys: Grammar
The finals rematch. Interesting to see these two teams meet so early but Grammar seems to be the pick of everyone this year whereas Aloys lost a lot of their best speakers due to debaters graduating. I think Grammar should get the job done but Aloys should never be discounted.

Cranbrook v Newington: Newington
Cranbrook have been surprising this year but I think they'll meet their match against Newington. Both teams went 6 and 1 this year so should be a good contest. Honestly this could be another toss up however I believe the Newington will get the job done.

Riverview v Kings: Riverview
Both schools have strong speakers but Riverview, in my opinion, has much more depth as a program. Riverview should take this one.

Would love to know what everyone else is thinking as we strap in for a very competitive run to the finals.
Seems very rational, I think both Abbotsleigh/Queenwood and Cranbrook/Newington appear to be quite a luck of the topic/side. Just interested as to the GLAZING of this Riverview side from you...

Should be fun to see how the finals rematch goes...

ggregan_89

Frank Row (1)
After seeing everyone’s predictions, we’ve decided to throw caution to the wind and provide our own. Perhaps some upsets, keen to hear thoughts…

Queenwood v Abbotsleigh
Predict Abbotsleigh winning by a clear margin as they remained top of their pool, seemingly with a team of great depth and talent. Unaware how Queenwood managed to beat Michael Kwak, must have only been due to the talent of Penelope Jin. Apparently, the only thing the girls are known for is their subpar instagram account where they suffer even greater humiliation than in their debates.

Grammar v St Aloysius
With the awaited rematch it is only fair that St Aloysius takes the win this time. St Aloysius are predicted to tightly scrape a win against the apparent top dog, Sydney Grammar. Although Grammar has strong talent captained by Daniel Lloyd-Hurwitz, and his band of State Team members, I think the depth of Aloys will supersede Grammar’s strength. Despite being the only school with state team members, Aloys is poised to pull their secret weapon. Looking forward to seeing the result for this one.

Cranbrook v Newington
Cranbrook for a tight win, reigning leaders of their pool after defeating Shore in the ranks. Newington arises from a weak pool, but has much potential, nothing is certain in this debate. To be honest, not much information regarding these teams so the result is up in the air - sadly neither are clear competitors for the premiership.

Kings v Riverview
Riverview takes the win. Despite having had a successful season, Kings will not be taking this win - we should not forget them ending up at the bottom of the ladder in GPS last year. Riverview with assets Tom Doyle and Angus Martinez will have a strong team ready to take the win - we look forward to the outcome of this one. However, to note, none made the state team, so perhaps Kings may have a miracle on Friday night.

Chip'n'Chaser

Frank Row (1)
Seems very rational, I think both Abbotsleigh/Queenwood and Cranbrook/Newington appear to be quite a luck of the topic/side. Just interested as to the GLAZING of this Riverview side from you...

Should be fun to see how the finals rematch goes...
Interesting interpretation of the picks. I think Cranbrook losing is probably the biggest upset, not necessarily Riverview.