• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

NSW AAGPS 2025

The Ghost of Raelene

Simon Poidevin (60)
Lemoto, Makasini, Fittler who have been playing with Penrith, Tigers & Roosters but I'm not sure where you land now if it's just lower tier contracts and not a senior contract like Walsh at Auggies who has signed with Manly.

Here for the advice

Peter Burge (5)
The U18 squad to cut from 40 to 26 will be tough some great form in there and some recent names have really shone as the season closed out. Here’s hoping they deliver some W’s against NZ!

runningrugbyrules

Larry Dwyer (12)
Some very Very strange selections, not sure what games they watched this year. The problem with Australian rugby often isn’t the players but the poor selectors and coaches who decide who gets a contract.
Massive shame Mitch Woods and Alex Conti not picked as it decreases any chance they’ll return to rugby one day like Mat Rogers, Joseph Sua'ali'i, etc. I know they’re both under Bulldogs contracts and Conti just got injured but to completely leave out the two stars from the dominate NSW U16 from two years ago is a huge mistake. Also can’t believe Justice Taumoepau and Matt Gough aren’t in this squad.

Last edited:

Springbokbreaker

Bob McCowan (2)
Considering the 2024 Joeys 1st XV had 8 players who weren't in year 12, I think some of them were looked over deliberately, as a lot of the talented Joeys players who could make this team (like Matt Gough and Justice Taumeopaeu) will likely be playing in this team in the next few years (as they will not finish school till next year or even later), so they will prioritise the boys who are about to finish school and are no longer eligible for this team from next year. This enables more boys to get more exposure at the top level to be seen by coaches and get more boys a glimpse at what professional union looks like. Next year it is likely Joeys will have the most out of any school in this team, considering the talent they have returning next year, which almost won Joeys the AAGPS playing against boys older than them.
Very well spoken totally agree it makes sense that they would prioritize players who are finishing school soon, allowing them to gain valuable experience at a higher level. With the talented younger players like Matt Gough and Justice Taumeopaeu coming up, Joeys is definitely setting itself up for a strong future.

The Occasional Fly Half

Bob McCowan (2)
4 Scots
2 Riverview
2 Shore
2 Kings
2 Newington
1 Joeys

4 Barker
3 St Augstines
4 Nudgee
3 TSS
Hey mate, I borrowed your data here for the QLD GPS thread. Have attributed approprriately, but not sure if you get a notification.

For the forum, a parallel chat on the QLD GPS 2024 thread if you are interested in the AUS 18s chat. Not too much different, but thought you might be interested. QLD GPS chat on Aus 18s

Joker

Staff member
1z0xqv.gif

The Ghost of Raelene

Simon Poidevin (60)
Not trying to sound rude but I don't understand why it's considered complicated. More sides yes, but the boys selected for Aus Schools weren't going to be selected in this squad unless 3 or 4 players in a position get injured. 40 players named in the squad above this is the National 1st and 2nd XV. Aus Schools have remained in name but they are essentially the 3rd XV with any Barbarian side named being the 4th XV.

It our multiple organisations that muddy the waters and its not just Schools Rugby even though the squad above is part of RA which is good. Our Club system is a stuffed with four alone in NSW with NSWSRU, SRU, NSWCRU, NSWRU...

Schools have somewhat pulled themselves into a line from RA > NSWRU> School Association.

I don't mind the ASRU still conducting the Aus Schools as it gives more players who would not have been picked in years gone by a chance to play more footy.

moa999

Tom Lawton (22)
Think it's more that to the casual follower it's just not clear where this team sits given selections are by different bodies and announcements made on different dates etc.

Plus the mishmash of some announcements only listing schools, others listing clubs (sometimes junior) and rarely both.

A little bit of coordination in announcements might help.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
Yeah I agree, once you go to the effort to understand how it works it's not that complicated and it's good that more boys are being given an opportunity to play some rep footy.

Incidentally Louis Fenwicke is one in this squad that was in the ASRU side, I'm not sure of the circumstances but I can find out easily enough.

runningrugbyrules

Larry Dwyer (12)
The issue I have with the new system is that in past years it was an honour to be one of the 22 or so to be picked and play for Australian Schoolboys. Now about 80-90 a year claim to be an Australian Schoolboy Rep on various rugby club/School web sites

The Ghost of Raelene

Simon Poidevin (60)
Names change over time. If you are in Clubs and selection rooms further down the line in Rugby they understand that it's now Aus 18s that carry the most weight (in name).

All the players selected for Aus Schools are still phenomenal Rugby players and have good Rugby ahead of them. I'd also say the kids now would run rings around most from the past. Size and fitness across the board probably means the 80-90 players in some sort of rep side have the ability that use to only be held to the 25 Aus Schools players picked.