• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

NRC Rnd 9: Brisbane City v Greater Sydney Rams

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
brisbane-png.5213
vs
gsrams-png.5215

Brisbane City v Greater Sydney Rams

When: Saturday 17 October. Kick-off 3.30pm AEST (4:30pm in the enlightened, curtain fading Eastern States)
Where: Ballymore Stadium, Brisbane

Match Referee: Jordan Way
Assistant Referees: Rohan Hoffmann, Brett Cronan

Broadcast Information: foxsports.com.au and FOX SPORTS Now

2015 Brisbane City Form Guide: WWW
2015 Greater Sydney Rams Form Guide: LWL

Last Time They Met: 03 October 2014; Greater Sydney Rams 56 defeated Brisbane City 29 at Pirtek Stadium, Sydney

At Stake: The Horan-Little Shield & The 2015 NRC Wooden Spoon
CRUaXwOUYAAvk_i.jpg

Match Notes: The Rams were the last team to beat Brisbane City in the NRC and need a win this weekend to give them a chance of avoiding the wooden spoon. With the Horan-Little Shield on the line, Brisbane City need to win to secure the 2015 NRC minor premiership.

Finals Prospects:
brisbane-png.5213
Brisbane City:
Already qualified for the finals and will be hosting a home Semi-Final. This is for the 2015 Minor Premiership.
Win: It's the 2015 Minor Premiership.
Draw: It's the 2015 Minor Premiership provided the Vikings don't defeat Queensland Country with a BP.
Lose: If they lose with a BP, then Vikings need to win with a BP to secure the Minor Premiership. If Vikings win without a BP, and City secure a losing BP, then Vikings must win by >14 points to secure the Minor Premiership.

gsrams-png.5215
Greater Sydney Rams
No chance for Finals. This is all about avoiding the 2015 Wooden Spoon.
Win: The 2015 Wooden Spoon goes North if the Vikings beat Queensland Country. The Wooden Spoon AND the Horan Little Shield could be secured by the Rams if they win without a BP, AND QCountry win AND Rays win, draw or lose with a BP.
Draw: The Vikings defeating Queensland Country by more than 8 points will see the Wooden Spoon travel North( ie no losing BOP for Q Country), otherwise it's Hello Wooden Spoon.
Lose: Clear the Trophy Cabinet, because it's Hello Wooden Spoon.

G&GR Preview (@RugbyReg) says: http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/nrc-round-9-preview/
This match shows the value of the Horan-Little Shield. Here we are. The last round of the season and it’s first against last. Ordinarily it would be a fairly low key affair, but with the advent of this challenge shield both teams have plenty to play for on Saturday at Ballymore. Brisbane are obviously keen as mustard to secure they Shield, having held it since defeating the Rising in Round 2, and have secured a full strength squad to do so. For the Rams the chance to claim their first piece of silverware of the NRC, to dispose of the competition frontrunners and avoid the wooden spoon means this match is their Grand Final.
Key Matchups:
There are two diverse playing styles in the respective 10 jerseys this weekend. For the Rams the electric Paul Asquith has been a revelation since moving to flyhalf in the recent weeks. The former 7s player has proved a constant thread to opposition defensive lines and provides a spark of energy for the Rams backline. Jake McIntyre, meanwhile, has quietly played his own game amongst a backline full of flash. McIntyre has plenty of skill but relies on providing the opportunities for his outside men to weave their magic. He’s been a critical player in Brisbane’s success this season and currently sits atop the competition point scorers list.
I just can’t go past the match up on the wings between the lightning feet of Afa Pakalani and the lightning feet of Junior Laloifi. The former Waratah and Aussie 7s flyer, Pakalani has only made a couple of starts for the Rams towards the end of the season and has shown his class in his limited opportunities. He has the ability to light up the field and his experience at the top level could be crucial this weekend. There has been heaps written about Laloifi this tournament and not much more I can say here. He remains the top tryscorer of the competition, with 11, but it’s his willingness to get involved and create opportunities for his team mates that has really been on show of late. A super talent.

Teams:

brisbane-png.5213
Brisbane City
1. Pettowa PARAKAMatt MAFI
2. Andrew READY
3. Sam TALAKAI
4. Corey THOMASBen HYNE
5. Cadeyrn NEVILLE
6. Waita SETU
7. Liam GILL (c)
8. Adam KORCZYK
9. Nick FRISBY
10. Jake McINTYRE
11. Junior LALOIFI
12. Henry TAEFU
13. Samu KEREVI
14. Alex GIBBON
15. Karmichael HUNT

16. Matt MAFIPettowa PARAKA
17. Ryan FRENEY
18. Feao FOTUAIKA
19. Ben HYNE Corey THOMAS
20. Luke BEAUCHAMP
21. Moses SOROVI
22. Mika TELA
23. Andy MUIRHEAD

Edit: Late changes to Brisbane

gsrams-png.5215
Greater Sydney Rams
1. Cameron ORR
2. Silivia SILIVA
3. Sam NEEDS
4. Will MUNRO
5. Jack DOUGLAS
6. Kelly MEAFUA
7. Jono HAYES
8. Cohen MASSON
9. Dewet ROOS
10. Paul ASQUITH
11. Afa PAKALANI
12. Michael McDOUGALL
13. Jordan HEYER
14. Brad CURTIS
15. Brenden HARTMANN

16. Max HOLLAND
17. Matt GIBBON
18. Cameron BETHAM
19. Brad KAPA
20. Sevaro DOMONI
21. Kaleb RECH
22. Rohan SAIFOLOI
23. Matt TEKI

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
This could be a hiding. Brisbane basically at full strength (no Higgers or Kuridrani) whilst the Rams could potentially be without both Roach and Holloway.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
I'm with you @Reg. While the Rams were able to reset Brisbane City's run of victories to 0 last year, and are the last side to beat them, they look very vulnerable across the board. The Rams have rolled out not much more than a club side (Southern Districts and some of their friends) up against about 10 Super Rugby Contracted Pros. Even @Pfitzy isn't taking avatar bets on the Rams winning the Horan Little Shield.

This could and most likely will get as ugly as the Stars rout especially if City keep their foot on the Rams throat until the Fat Sheila sings. Ironically next week could be a City v Stars game, if Stars manage to get a losing BP on Sunday.

I'd imagine that the City will bolt out of the gate and rack up an unassailable stack of points, then bring on the bench early to give some of their superstars a bit of a break, and to reduce the risk of injury going into the finals.

City by 50, and second 0 game in NRC history.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Late change to the City lineup. Mafi looks like he will be starting at Prop, and Hyne at Lock for Thomas.

27 minutes gone
Brisbane City 29 (A. Korczyk (7), S. Kerevi (10), J. Laloifi (27), A Gibbon (30) tries; J. McIntyre (8), (11), (28) conv) leading Greater Sydney Rams 8 (K. Meafua (19) try; D. Roos (20) con)

Prince Laloifi gets #12 for the season

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
It's all happening. Penalty Try for the Rams, and Cheese for Alex Gibbon (tackling Hartman without the ball in the act of scoring)

It's Oranges.

KHunt opens up the scoring for the second half. Converted.
More cheese. This time for Cameron Orr (Rams)

Brisbane City 37 (A. Korczyk (7), S. Kerevi (10), J. Laloifi (27), A Gibbon (30), K. Hunt (46) tries; J. McIntyre (8), (11), (28), (47) conv) leading Greater Sydney Rams 16 (K. Meafua (19), try, Penalty Try (36); D. Roos (20), (36) conv)

Yellow Card: A. Gibbon (BCity) (36), C. Orr (Rams) (48)

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
How's Jake Douglas (Brother of Kane) doing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ok but Bris scrum is dominating. Will try to keep an eye on him for rest of the match. Spotted the other brother Luke in the crowd before.

Now 37-16 and Rams 1 just yellow carded.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Couple of quick Bris tries to Laloifi & Gibbon and it's 50-24.

Still 19 minutes to play

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
66-24 now and Bris City must've cleared their bench by now.

H-L Shield will be staying at Ballymore.

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
Only watched the second half, well bits of it. In the garden all day and doing kids dinner (usual shit). Rams were in it for a while, but those two cards cost them. Thought they were are but stuff on the scrum penalties. That replacement flanker for the Rams was a gun, some massive hits. Any Super side got him on their books?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
That result confirms the 2015 Minor Premiership for Brisbane City, and the 2015 Wooden Spoon for Greater Sydney Rams.

Junior Laloifi races out to an impressive tally of 14 meat pies (in 8 games).
Jake McIntyre breaks the Tonne and is on a total of 118 points, 32 points in front of his nearest rival.
Samu Kerevi moves into equal second on the Try Scorers ladder with 7.

Status
Not open for further replies.