• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Mascot War (Not the suburb.... unfortunately)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
Due to a recent move and a lack of space in my car I've had to leave my TV 500kms away, leaving me with lot's of free time. I thought I'd channel that into something creative by putting together a form guide for each of the Super Rugby mascots. Sorry if some of the picture sizes are weird but I got them off the net so hey, what you going to do?

Blues – Captain Bluebeard
images

What's the hardest thing about riding a segway?
Telling your parents you're gay.

Yep, Johnny Depp has really let himself go. Captain (Jack?) Bluebeard grew up in the rough seas around Auckland. In a misguided attempt to go 'full pirate' at the tender age of 14 Bluebeard ended up with 2 wooden legs and now is confined to a segway. On the field Blueball’s play is stifled somewhat by his inability to step, jump and actually grow a beard (not a goatee) but he does have impeccable balance, somehow increasing his acceleration the lower he is to the ground. Despite carrying a cutlass his attack is limited due to his inability to perceive depth; he has 2 eyes but likes to wear the patch to enhance his idiom.

Brumbies – Brumby Jack
4334075424_ef3dfb62ac.jpg

Guess who likes carrots?

Widely rumoured to be a direct descendant of Pharlap, every horse from the last charge of the light brigade, the brumby the man from snowy river caught and the horse he rode; Brumby Jack's got good breeding. Known for his massive hoof, this human-named equine has lead the Mascots in kick meters gained in his last 3 seasons. He hit a hurdle this year however when he badly damaged his quad (penta?hexa?hepta?) when going head-to-head with Rusty the Red Koala and was lucky not to be 'taken to the farm' or as us kids in the country learnt 'shot in the head from point blank with a .308, tied to the back of the ute and dragged up to DCP (dead cow paddock)'. Jack has since galloped back from injury to show us some barnstorming runs later in the season. His game has been let down in an area where no matter how hard he works he just doesn't seem to improve, put simply, he has no hands.

Bulls – Bull
IMG_4897.JPG

Haha! Too easy...

The warrior known only as the Bull is an undefinable, nebulous enigma wrapped in myth; rumour has it if you cut the Bull open inside it you will find a man dressed all in white wearing a racing helmet. Some in-depth undercover research (looking at the Bulls website) has revealed that Bull was born in The Kraal, Loftus Versfeld on 1st April 2002 to proud parents Broe and Daisy – ironically making him Aries although listed as a Taurus (ha!). Sometimes referred to as the Blue Bull although like all cattle this means nothing to him as he is colourblind, often finding himself on the wrong side of the ruck (has anyone spoken to Richie McCaw's optometrist?). The Bull can be devastating in attack (displaying crash ball skills of which Tom Carter can only dream) but is frequently beaten by fleet-footed backs in defence. The Bull is also often let down by poor discipline, recently suspended for 4 weeks after charging an assistant referee when the ball was kicked out on the full from outside the 22.

Cheetahs – Cheetah
chester3.jpg

Eat Cheetohs! Peace Mutha F*cker!

Whether proving to the world he is faster than Brian Habana or whacking on a pair of wayfarers and flogging cheesy snacks in the 90s the Cheetah (also known only as Cheetah – seriously South Africa, lift your game) has always been a toiler. He possesses that rare combination of supreme pace and a high work ethic of which coaches only dream. So ridiculous is his work ethic that if you call this number 051 407 1764 (try it – it's real!) and ask for Yolandi you can hire him for kids parties, the guy doesn't stop. Although known as a bit of pussy in contact he makes up for it by chasing guys down and frequently pulls out try-savers. The main downside many coaches see with Cheetah is that he won't follow a game plan at all and seems impervious to change (similar to his cousin Leopard).

Chiefs – Little Chief
images

Liam Messam anyone?
images

The chiefs mascot is all about rugby smarts, about tactics and deception, he's the master of it. What this ironically-named giant-headed man brings to the pitch is a frenzy of movement and sound that confuses the shit out of opposition. He likes to make the crowd bring chainsaws and cowbells, creating a cacophony of sound that deafens anyone unfortunate enough to be staying on the north island; his giant headgear the only thing that prevents him from claiming compo. Tactfully, by taking a page out of the Berrick Barnes guide to remembering your birthday and constantly wearing headgear, Little Chief gains the upper hand by fooling his opposition into believing he is mentally impaired.

Crusaders – The Crusaders Horsemen
4735843.jpg

Whats that word? It starts with C H ? oh that's right! Cheating bastards!

Not only are Crusaders happy to cheat when it comes to McCaw throwing salt in the refs eyes every time he comes near a ruck but now they've turned a mexican basketball match of Juan on Juan into a prison shanking with 6 guys on one. Plus the fact that their riding horses (actual horses! Brumby Jack hang your faux head in shame) and since a horse in itself can be a mascot than that's a whopping 12 on one. The Crusaders Horsemen work very well as a team, utilising quality structure and getting back into formation from broken play with ease. Scintillating in counter attack, ambush and siege these bible bashing bastards can really run a team through. On the downside however, they are the only mascots to defecate in public, naked, on all fours, with a uniformed man on their back. If you ask me, they may be the best going round, but you've got to admit, a little bit gay.

Force – Westy
COUCH-2010-mascot-behind-scenes-gallery-41-600x400.jpg

Westy the Black Swan with Nick Cummins twin sister

Whilst resembling an early scary-looking black and white disney cartoon character, Westy has often struggled living the opposite life of the ugly duckling; raised as a swan as a child only to later find out that he was in fact a slab of bacon that had been punched back to life. It was this cruel turn of fate that helped create Westy's steely eyed determination and presence on the field. Whilst known to be susceptible to an easy high shot and prone to Andrew Walker like flights of fancy, Westy keeps coming back to keep the fans happy and they love him for it. He's especially a hit with the ladies where his long neck comes in handy, according to one high profile perth socialite 'he always keeps eye contact'.

Highlanders – Highlander aka Connor MacLeod
200px-The_Highlander.jpg

Two is more than required!

This crazy celtic country man loves to live up to his name sake by constantly scaling the highest possible surface he can find and screaming at the heavens. No one can understand whether his blood curdling cry is due to his being part of a race of immortals that are fighting to the death for the ultimate prize of omnipotence or if it is simply because every time he gets to the top of something his nuts appear to be on fire – which is why he wears the kilt (he's actually german – fact). The Highlander dominates the lineout, using his sword to cut the legs out from opposing jumpers. He is also a monster at the breakdown, using his unique combination of brutality, a skirt and a mullet to literally go berserker. The Highlander however, would make Chariots look like Quade with his lack of distributing, occasionally going to the point of snatching the ball from his own teammate shouting “There can only be one!”.

Hurricanes – Captain Hurricane
http://sphotos.AK (Andrew Kellaway).fbcdn.net/hphotos-AK (Andrew Kellaway)-sjc1/hs575.snc3/31356_1264776981997_1306920022_30619000_879330_n.jpg
Even with Mutley long buried Darstardly carries on still trying to catch that damn pigeon

It seems to be every second NZ mascot in is a captain, be it this one has a Plane and the other one a Segway, are they trying to leave? That said Captain Hurricane is a mercurial talent, tempestuous in nature he mixes moments of pure genius, madness, and coach-stress together to play a game that is a whirlwind of trouble for opposition defence, often leaving them clutching at air. However, like an unnamed marquee player for the Melbourne Rebels who plays flyhalf who shall not be named and remain anonymous and unnamed, he can be a bit of an airhead (read: another type of head). His off the field shenanigans frequently keep him in the headlines for the wrong reason. He's very much a princess of a back, often going shopping and getting his moustache tipped and tweeting about it while it's happening, then taking a photo of it and tweeting that, then re-tweeting his own earlier tweet about how he was getting his moustache tipped, all the while celebrating a loss without his team. You might say he in no way resembles a player like Danny Cipriani. He's also shit in defence.

Lions – Mufasa
CurrieCupMufasa.JPG

Nants ingonyama bagithi Baba

Mufasa is the perennial under-performer of the Mascots. He has been able to literally tear apart all other South African mascots at Currie Cup level however he has failed to perform come the Super Rugby competition. Mufasa has always had pride, that is not to be disputed. However his pride often makes him find fault in his teammates rather than looking after his own game. In one famous roar at his teammates after a devastating loss to the Shorks he was recored saying “You deliberately disobeyed me! And whats worse you put Nala in danger!” to much confusion. When questioned in the press conference afterwards his only explanation was to say “I'm only brave when I have to be”. For all his faults Mufasa has to be the best defender in the competition, able to take down opponents twice his size. His cardio is surprisingly suspect for a Lion, often fading in the final quarter, many believe this is because of a genetic defect that left him without nostrils.

Rebels – ?
6601_rebel_without_a_cause_jigsaw_puzzle_lg.jpg

Artist's impression

Seriously f#cking cool, sub-zero. Too cool to be a mascot, too cool to even exist. The Rebels mascot coined not having a name before the artist formally known as Prince jumped on the bandwagon and made it not cool, decidedly lukewarm. The nameless rebel is always ahead of the curve though, that's why he doesn't exist, über cool. He hangs out at nightclubs you don't even know about, you couldn't even find the line outside. He's already inside, finger-banging your girlfriend and her hotter sister. He only has one rule, and that's to follow no rules, even his own. Rumour has it he's the best damn mascot ever to have walked the earth but you'd never know, he's too cool to play; oh and he doesn't walk, he struts.

Shorks – Sharkie
Sharkie-close-up-200x200.jpg

Hands up if you like genetic mutations!

Sharkie is one mascot straight out of the blue. No one would have predicted this genetic freak would have survived in the harsh world above the sea but not only has he survived, but thrived. Sharkie possesses the ability to sniff out an intercept from 10 km away and is extremely adept in wet conditions. While Sharkie has had some bad moments in his career (the most notably teaching Lote Tiquiri that ridiculous try celebration hand gesture) he has always dived in head first when presented with a challenge. Sharkie is dogged in his determination, once he has you he never lets go. The only time I've ever seen someone shrug him off in a tackle is when he tried tackling Schalk Burger. “He had him alright” said Sharkie's coach “I'm not saying anything happened, but look how as soon as Sharkie lets go he covers up his eyes, they were pretty red and sore”.

Stormers – A horde of children
Duggar+family.jpg

Every sperm is sacred...

And I thought I was screwed when I discovered the Rebels don't have a mascot. The Stormers however, like Nadya Suleman, have an infinite supply. From what I've managed to gleam from my limited research is that the mascot is a random child (on loan from Angelina Jolie) who leads the team out onto the pitch at home games. So their skill level, strength and size are always going to be limiting factors. On the plus side, they're full of potential, on the down side they're basically midget drunks, constantly crying and unable to walk without falling over.

Waratahs – Tah Man
attachment.php

"I'm on a horse"

Tah Man puts the power back in flower power, and removes the flower and replaces it with more power; power power. That's right, this mascot is all about bulking up in the pre-season, mid-season, post-season, pumping iron and getting pumped up. He's in the gym more than he's on the park and not only has it negatively affected his skills but also his health. This megalomaniac was once just a regular maniac, until he starting chatting online to some guy called Zyzz. It was a downward spiral that saw him go through more drugs than a Hunter S Thompson long weekend; ending up taking steroids spliced with plant matter that altered his DNA, forcing him to hide his blooming face. Tah Man has since gotten clean, got himself a Sis Tah and fought his way back to an elite level. His story has been one that has endeared him to fans and foes alike.

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
Shit! I just realised I'd forgotten the Reds.... Ah well. Someone else can do that

Dam0

Dave Cowper (27)
You can't beat the Crusaders knights. I mean I hate the Crusaders and even I cheered when they came out and did their laps of the ground pre game, Gregorian chants blearing in the background, waving their swords.

No contest for mine.

Antony

Alex Ross (28)
Tah-man's great. I thought he was a bit lame, but then he took the piss out of whichever pop singer was on during the half-time entertainment at the Tahs-Reds this year. I wanted his buddy to be Wara-Car though.

Set piece magic

John Solomon (38)
The Highlander is the best mascot of all... not gay, fearsome, dressed like a warrior and it's socially acceptable for him to yell and scream. Play that with flower of scotland and you will get anyone with the hint of a Mc in their name going bananas... Well that's what happens at BBC anyway

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
Mascot is a suburb in Sydney. It's where the airport is and a rather rubbish suburb. Funny, I thought the finger-banging comment or the refernce to a recently deceased amateur body builder would have got more of a response than the title though...

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
MAscot is also home to the best chicken chilli rolls in sydney. the cue is out the door and up the street 7 days. Oh and I like the bikini girls the SA teams have best. They are mascots aren't they

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I had a chat with Tah Man when the Waratahs did an appearance at Rebel Sport towards the end of the Super Rugby season. He seemed like a good bloke.

At first I thought Tah Man was cringeworthy but he has grown on me. The arrival in the Black Hawk Helicopter at the home semi a couple of years ago was a highlight.

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
Top quality (dare I say... gold) post, I had to stifle my laughs.

Cheers for having a shitload of time on your hands Swat

Thanks man, I was hoping someone would get a laugh out of it, there were some pretty obscure references in there

EVERYFWDTHINKTHEYREA6OR7

Syd Malcolm (24)
MAscot is also home to the best chicken chilli rolls in sydney. the cue is out the door and up the street 7 days. Oh and I like the bikini girls the SA teams have best. They are mascots aren't they

Quoted for truth.

Sometimes called Banh Mi. Who said nothing good comes from France, well they got a bit of help with fusion from the Vietnamese.

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
Have added a red's section and Gaggs is going to put it in the Blog. I figure some of you aren't going to read it after reading it here so this is for your benefit:

Reds - Rusty
bd3_017023.jpg

Rusty likes to hang out with other people his age

Rusty the Red Koala is seen as the new breed of mascot. Possessing all the skills and ability to be a great of the game and all the decorem of a Mercedes Corby tantrum. Rusty has been known to go on all night benders causing him to miss team meetings, training sessions, squad announcements and tri-nations deciders. His lame excuses include "I'm a koala, I'm supposed to sleep 19 hours a day" and "Her alarm... err, my alarm clock didn't go off". Rusty is also rumoured to be the sole reason behind the koala chlamydia epidemic, lucky bastard. Rusty will continue to punch above his weight on and off the field but will he become a great of the game? Time will tell... better set that alarm.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Apparently there is a new man in the Tah man suit this year. Will be interested to see what he comes up with next season.

And here is the pic of Brumby Jack stuck in the hole when he got injured..
BJ_Hole.jpg

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
This thread has to go in the pool room next to Lee Grant's ugliest player 15 thread.

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
I thought I would resurrect this thread, as this has been bugging me.

There is a perception that the Australian teams are weak. The argument is that the dilution of Australian rugby talent has resulted from the inclusion of Force and Rebels. Coincidentally, we find the Rebels and Force are not doing well. The reasons for our Western and Southern brothers faring poorly in Super Rugby have been argued to be wide and varied. Issues such as depth, quality of backlines, quality of forwards, coaching and administration tactics, ect have all been put forward.

I submit to you that the perception that the Force and Rebels performing poorly in Super Rugby has nothing to do with the above. It is all to do with their mascots. With such poor and non-existant mascots, how CAN the Force and Rebels keep up with the antics of Rusty the Koala, Tah Man and an injury prone Brumby Jack? This is effecting team morale, and it is showing on the field through poor results. In order to compete on the paddock, these Force and Rebels need to get their act together regarding their mascots.

I have thought long and hard about this. And I have come up with some possibilities that will have both teams in rip-roaring shape for years to come.

First off, let's have a look at the Force Mascot(s):

force mascot.jpg

Not very inspiring is he? And I wouldn't even go near the blue suited things.

freaks.jpg

I suggest the Force adopt:

skywalker.jpg

Luke Skywalker would be brilliant as the Forces' mascot. Just think, when the opposition runs out to the Imperial March, Luke can be there, using the Force on them. I'm pretty sure that Mark Hamill isn't doing much apart from the odd Star Wars convention nowadays either, so the Force could get him for a bargain.

Now for the Rebels.......
I have obtained a rare photo of the Rebels mascot, and here it is:

image here.jpg

But I believe they would be better served with:

rebels.jpg

Now, I know that James Dean would have made a great mascot. However, we are operating on a budget here, and it would simply cost too much to bring him back from the dead. For this reason, I have decided on, well, the Rebels. Perfect fit really. Also, they will give those horse riding maniac Crusader mascots a good run for their money. Might even take it too!

So there you go, my plan to get the Force and Rebels back on track. If anyone else has suggestions, I would love to hear it!

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Westy the Black Swan. FFS, that is shithouse. He looks like the old Spy vs Spy cartoon in Mad magazine.

The worst thing is that it makes Captain Hurricane only the 2nd worst mascot, when he should be worst mascot in any selection anywhere in the world.

My kids like Tah Man, so I like him too.

kronic

John Solomon (38)
I've been told the Rebels actually had the motorcycle gang (in some capacity) at the 1st ARC home game.

Status
Not open for further replies.