• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Las Vegas 7's: 2-4 March

Status
Not open for further replies.

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
Standings after Hamilton:

1. South Africa 77
2. New Zealand 69
3. Fiji 62
4. Australia 60
5. Argentina 48
6. England 47

Full standings:

https://www.worldrugby.org/sevens-series/standings/mens

Pool A: Fiji, Kenya, France, Russia
Pool B: South Africa, England, Canada, Wales
Pool C: Australia, Samoa, USA, Spain
Pool D: New Zealand, Scotland, Argentina, Uruguay

A reminder that the Pools reflect the finishing order at Hamilton, not the current Standings.

No fixture list yet, I'll edit it in when it becomes available, but presumably it'll be a full round of matches Friday night local time, remaining Pool & possibly QF's Saturday. Unlike last year it's a men's tournament only, the women don't play again until 21 & 22 April.

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
NZ Sevens squad for USA and Canada: Dylan Collier, Scott Curry, Sam Dickson, Trael Joass, Andrew Knewstubb, Vilimoni Koroi, Ngarohi McGarvey Black, Tim Mikkelson, Sione Molia, Etene Nanai-Seturo, Joe Ravouvou, Regan Ware, Joe Webber.

McGarvey-Black is fresh outta Rotorua Boys High & carved it up at the recent 7's Nationals & unsurprisingly NZRU won the contract dispute with the Warriors over Nani-Seturo.

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/s...teddy-stanaway-dropped-from-all-blacks-sevens

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
AUSTRALIA has been outclassed 29-17 by world champions South Africa in the cup quarterfinals of the Las Vegas Sevens, while Fiji, the United States and Argentina are also through to the semifinals at Sam Boyd Stadium.

It was 12-all at halftime thanks to two John Porch tries but the series leading South Africans dominated the second stanza before a late consolation score by rookie Jeral Skelton.

Australia will next square off against Kenya in the fifth place semifinal at 7.50am on Monday AEDT.

“There was a lot of that game we were happy with, going into the break at 12-all, but you drop the opening kickoff in the second half and you’re right on the back foot,” Australia coach Andy Friend said.

“I thought there were some tough calls against us at crucial moments, but we don’t want to make excuses. Our execution, our speed of support, and accuracy on the ground wasn’t good enough.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Meant to ask you WOB, do you realise that O'Donnell that plays for Aus 7s has a Levin connection, I not sure if Midge O'Donnell (ex Wanderers 2nd five) is his dad or grandad.

You bloody Kiwis always trying to claim Aussies as your own.

Next you'll be telling me Crowded House are a Kiwi band. ;)

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
You bloody Kiwis always trying to claim Aussies as your own.

Next you'll be telling me Crowded House are a Kiwi band. ;)

Lol na Braveheart, as I tell my mates Crowded House are an Aussie band, but take the kiwi out of them and :p:D

T

TOCC

There’s a number of quality players in the Aussie sevens team who wouldn’t look out of place in any of the top 3 teams, but it’s the bottom 4 players who really aren’t up to scratch. They put in 100% but speed and talent can only be coached so far.

Also Chucky Stannard looks like he could go another 12 months, that bloke is still performing well.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
There’s a number of quality players in the Aussie sevens team who wouldn’t look out of place in any of the top 3 teams, but it’s the bottom 4 players who really aren’t up to scratch. They put in 100% but speed and talent can only be coached so far.

Also Chucky Stannard looks like he could go another 12 months, that bloke is still performing well.

Yes. Chucky has been exceptional. Still easily in our best team.

I agree. I think our top team of something like:

Parahi, Anstee, Anderson, Stannard, Holland, Porch, O'Donnell are excellent.

With a fully fit squad when you can add in Lucas, McNamara, Kennewell, Myers, Killingworth and Longbottom I think we have a quality squad.

The rest of the squad aren't good enough yet. Some may get there in a couple of years but some certainly never will.

Status
Not open for further replies.