• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

International Matches in Winter not involving Oz, NZ and SA

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
This thread is to cover those winter test series not involving the big 3 Sanzaar teams (yes, I know Argentina is a Sanzaar team rated higher than Australia, but historically these are the big 3). There have been a couple of matches already last week plus we are three matches into the second round already. What has shocked me, and other tipsters it seems, is the large number of upsets:

Fiji lost by 13 to the Barbarians. It was a decent Barbarians team, but I never expected them to knock off Fiji after the last world cup.
Samoa at home beat Italy by 8. Another world cup turn-around against a team supposedly on the rise. If they can't beat Samoa will they win again in the 6N?
USA at home got done by 2 against Romania. Romania have been improving but the USA were at home. Not a result I expected.

Did anyone else foresee these upsets? Who do you expect to cause further mayhem?

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
This afternoon I’m pretty sure. Edit: sorry you are correct, it was 2am (Not pm as I thought).

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
It occurred to me that maybe Fiji was weaker in round 1 because it was outside the international window and that the influx of European players significantly improved the Fiji line-up. Can anyone confirm this? The Georgia - Fiji result seemed to be more in line with international rankings, whereas round 1 v the Barbarians was a big upset.

France-Argentina went to expectations, and Scotland thrashed Canada. Can we say Canada is now a tier 5 country?

Highlander35

Steve Williams (59)
Something of a 2nd or 3rd XV for Scotland ran out 73-12 winners against Canada in the first of their 4 game Americas tour, with the USA, Chile and Uruguay (Non-Window game) coming up over the next few weeks.

Not too much of note: the game felt much like an opposed training run for both sides. Two exceptions: one being the return of Dylan Richardson: capped as a backrower in the Autumn Internationals of 2021, his eligibility was on the verge of reopening for the Bokke: the now converted Sharks hooker returned to tour and put in an 80 minute performance: starting in the front row and shifting to the backrow for the majority of the 2nd half.

The other being the most ridiculous clock you've ever seen: counting down from 40 and a absurd notion of calling the last play "referee time".

Strewthcobber

Simon Poidevin (60)
Sad to see Canada falling away so far from where they were. QF in 1991. They actually beat Scotland only 20 odd years ago

Highlander35

Steve Williams (59)
Probably don't have to go back quite as far as that: first ever Vern Cotter squad in 2014, Canada came within a penalty of knocking over a much closer to full strength Scotland team. Deep into Scottish Banter years yes, but a stark difference.

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
And meanwhile in Argentina a couple of French players have been arrested for sexual assault. Couple of young fellas that started the test last week.

Highlander35

Steve Williams (59)
Quality Defence from USA + Horrible Conditions = a more competitive scoreline.

I think Townsend has probably gotten it sub optimal with the selections, particularly with how tired a number of the Glasgow boys looked. He'd have been much better off putting this lineup against Chile and Uruguay, and run a few more youngsters and exiles today, sending the latter home between the North-South split.

But what do I know.

Dismal Pillock

David Codey (61)
LOL@Japan.

Unlimited budget, Slick Eddie wheels out the full gaijin mercenary frankenmess fuckyou contingent..... and they go and lose, at home, to the country that they probably think makes their canned coffee.

Some ticker on those Georgians though.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
So France was one of the world's top 4 teams! Splitting the series with Argentina doesn't really seem to confirm that. And the Argies only one spot above Australia on the rankings. Guess we'll see when the Rugby Championship comes around, but I would not put money on Australia beating France right now under any circumstances.

Have to say that my top 4 now has England in over France despite England's propping situation.