• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Hurricanes vs Rebels Rnd 14 Super Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

kronic

John Solomon (38)
Back from the Wild West.

Aiming for our 1st overseas win here, not confident in the slightest. Will probably come vs the Lions.

Luke Jones comes back from suspension.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
Rebels have the right structure to do it, but can they bring 100% to the game? If not those Canes backs will slice them. Disciplined kicking, tight structure, lots of pressure = Rebels win. Last week's game = loss, likely a brutal one.

Boys need to bring their A game and boss the canes into a corner so hard they can't see daylight.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Dick Tooth (41)
I think it will be a close game. we should be fielding a strong team again. beale and mitchell have been making an excellent combo 10/12 channel and i liked how well mitchell handled first receiver when beale had gone into contact or slipped out more wide.

vuna is back in great form which is excellent to see and gerrard can just keep doing what he's doing. line out looks to be better. we are a chance but the hurricanes are didly.

FiveStarStu

Bill McLean (32)
Rebels will have a rough time of it going Perth > Melbourne > Wellington within a week.

Hope we run them close but can't see a win.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Mitchell looks much better at 12 than he does out on the wing. His distribution is still a bit shaky, but it's getting there. When he shifted out last week, he got absolutely burnt a couple of times on defence.

D

daz

Rebels will have a rough time of it going Perth > Melbourne > Wellington within a week.

I said that before the Saders game, Stu, and how wrong I was.

Ok, I put some hard-earned on them for that game on the basis of the Bulls game the week before, but really, the Rebs had no hope against the Saders, right? There is a reason I am not making a living from prognostication or stock trading.

Hard fought game against the Force and just managed to get the chocolates. Therefore, you would think that form is with them and we know they have the ability to win. But will they? No, methinks not.

But I'll put a few smackeroos on them anyway, just in case. ;)

Dan54

David Wilson (68)

As a Canes man, I will not accept this trying to use the mocker gods!!! I say Rebels are looking unbeatable.
Actually in all seriousness, this got the makings of a good game, neither team really looking like having a chance of making finals, but also both teams that are capable of playing some good rugby!!

mech4bg

Allen Oxlade (6)
You never know which Rebels team will show up, but I think we've used up all our luck over the last 3 weeks.

I just hope it's not another away drubbing like the Brumbies.

doleq

Allen Oxlade (6)
STARTING TEAM:
1. LOOSEHEAD PROP - Nic Henderson
2. HOOKER - Ged Robinson
3. TIGHTHEAD PROP - Jono Owen
4. LEFT LOCK - Cadeyrn Neville
5. RIGHT LOCK - Hugh Pyle (VC)
6. LEFT FLANKER - Luke Jones
7. RIGHT FLANKER - Tim Davidson
8. NUMBER EIGHT - Gareth Delve (C)
9. SCRUMHALF - Nick Phipps
10. FLYHALF - Kurtley Beale
11. LEFT WING - Cooper Vuna
12. INSIDE CENTRE - Lachlan Mitchell
13. OUTSIDE CENTRE - Mitch Inman
14. RIGHT WING - Mark Gerrard
15. FULLBACK - Julian Huxley
REPLACEMENTS:
16. RESERVE - Adam Freier
17. RESERVE - Rodney Blake
18. RESERVE - Al Campbell
19. RESERVE - Tom Chamberlain
20. RESERVE - Richard Kingi
21. RESERVE - James Hilgendorf
22. RESERVE - Stirling Mortlock

Ollie

Frank Row (1)
Based on the Rebels performances, I'd have to say fate is in their own hands over in Wellington. Sure it's a tough assignment to go from Perth to NZ, via Melbourne in 6 days. Although, what has not been mentioned is that in the last two games, Melbourne were the better team and showed it when they wanted to!

If they maintain the discipline and pressure, without doubt, they have the backline to beat the Hurricanes. A soggy Wellington will also even up the sides. And perhaps, last Sunday's 2nd half fade-out could be prevented this week by bringing on Stirlo a bit earlier...ie 50-55 min, rather than 60-70 mins. He injects the enthusiasm of a debutante at the moment!

Barring a massacre and/or injuries though, I have the feeling that even an average loss here, won't set us back too much and we'll be ready to go again for our hurrah into the break against the Brumbies. :)

James Buchanan

Trevor Allan (34)
STARTING TEAM:
3. TIGHTHEAD PROP - Jono Owen
7. RIGHT FLANKER - Tim Davidson

Some interesting selections there.

Davidson's selection makes sense given his recent form and that of Jones and Neville. Owen I am a little surprised by.

All in all, close to our strongest pack I think. Considering there are 5 legitimate jumping options in the starting pack, I would hope that our lineout would be in better shape. However, it might be too much confusion.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Well, your strongest pack available at any rate, with Lipman and Saffy out. Davidson isn't a 7, really. Thought he did well at 6 vs the Saders, though.

James Buchanan

Trevor Allan (34)
Well, your strongest pack available at any rate, with Lipman and Saffy out. Davidson isn't a 7, really. Thought he did well at 6 vs the Saders, though.

Agreed. Given that he is in form at the moment, I think it becomes a case of playing with the players we have. Even if that means that we go to a more south african style flanker arrangement. There's not really any out and out 'fetchers' at the Rebels at the moment anyway.

FiveStarStu

Bill McLean (32)
I'll try and have a preview of this game up by morning. Currently in Cape Town with family and have no idea what time it is.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Nice try by Vuna to get the Rebels off the mark, also good offload by Beale just before he got smashed. But if I were a Canes fan I would have been shouting double movement.

T

TOCC

Rebels were off to a good start but the Hurricanes are returning serve now

Status
Not open for further replies.