• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Formula 1

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
We can party with three of us.

Thoughts on the Ric return? I'm of course stoked to see him back, but that Alpha Tauri car is going to be a handful. Surely Danny's playing the long game on taking Perez's seat next year, if he can beat Yuki, and Perez doesn't improve.

Have to feel somewhat for de Vries, but it's not like he's an inexperienced young guy, and his performances just weren't cutting it.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
de Vries just is what he is.... Don't think we'll see him again in F1 being 28 and scoring no points. The other driver with no points is Sargeant but he's 22 and American which would make a difference as they push into the US there is a guy to go on talk shows, pod casts and be a fixture on the Drive to Survive. He won't get tenure but he'll be given a long leash I suspect.

If Danny finishes anywhere in the middle of the pack after not racing all year then I'd say Perez would want to win some races or he's gone. Dan brings a lot of attention which is great for sponsors and very on brand for Red Bull as a whole. Besides Australia where we are a very small market he's another that is popular through the US.

Sword of Justice

Bill McLean (32)
We can party with three of us.
I would honestly love to join but can't think of anything to contribute as this season has been so dry unfortunately. Credit to Max for his talent and dedication but it is a struggle at the moment for me.

Will Ricciardo make it more interesting this year? I have my doubts but I love the bloke so very happy for him.

Would love to see the field opened up by the stewards by fostering more strategic differentiation in terms of the rules on pit stopping, tires generally, and maybe even fuelling.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
I would honestly love to join but can't think of anything to contribute as this season has been so dry unfortunately. Credit to Max for his talent and dedication but it is a struggle at the moment for me.
Interesting you say that because (behind Max) I actually think it's been one of the most competitive seasons in recent history. Aston coming out of the woodwork, Ferrari slipping back, Williams regaining some competitiveness, Merc's ebbs and flows, and now McLaren coming back into the picture as well. I think it's going to be an immense second half of the season, even if Max continues to be unchallenged.

Would love to see the field opened up by the stewards by fostering more strategic differentiation in terms of the rules on pit stopping, tires generally, and maybe even fuelling.
We won't see mid-race refuelling again because of the inherent danger, but they're doing more with the tyres. No tyre blankets next season will add an increased element of risk for pit stops which should spice things up.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
They need a bit more chaos to bring anyone else close to Max and Red Bull. I feel like I'm flying flag for the US agenda but it won't sell if the no.1 on pole is the finish position every time.

If McLaren, Aston and Mercedes can keep creeping towards the top it will be a very good finish and potential for next year.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Well yeah if Max didn't exist it'd be a season to remember.

I'm impressed by the effects of mid-season tuning. Forgive me if this is a little basic but let's say at the start of the season, Red Bull's car was running at 100% 'power'. Aston Martin were clearly the 2nd best car at let's say 80%. Then a few other cars then McLaren at 60%. Assuming that Aston Martin can't have a worse car than they did earlier in the year, so they're going faster than they were, at 80%+. Now McLaren looks to be the goods and are running faster than AM so like, 81%+. The way they spoke about the McLaren car, like it was a rust bucket that would be out paced my '98 Mitsubishi Lancer. Now with a few tweaks here and there it's going great, I don't quite get.

RE: Riccardo, I'm not getting my hopes up, he looked so done last season. The AT is a shit car, I would be over the moon if he got points. But it does feel great having his personality back in the sport, he seems to be a proper crowd favourite of everyone.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
RE: Riccardo, I'm not getting my hopes up, he looked so done last season. The AT is a shit car, I would be over the moon if he got points. But it does feel great having his personality back in the sport, he seems to be a proper crowd favourite of everyone.
If rumours are to be believed, the times he was setting at the tyre test would’ve been good enough for P2 on Sunday. He looks damn good again too - refreshed, confident, and found his love for the sport again.

The AT is an absolute dog, but I’m optimistic that it’s going to be a little exciting.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
If rumours are to be believed, the times he was setting at the tyre test would’ve been good enough for P2 on Sunday. He looks damn good again too - refreshed, confident, and found his love for the sport again.

The AT is an absolute dog, but I’m optimistic that it’s going to be a little exciting.
Thic Ricc is back.

Hype train is real. Surely Checo just tore up his chances for '24. We're gonna get Max & Danny for Redbull next year. Danny will consistently come 5-8th but will be safer than Checo because his PR is amazing.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Thic Ricc is back.

Hype train is real. Surely Checo just tore up his chances for '24. We're gonna get Max & Danny for Redbull next year. Danny will consistently come 5-8th but will be safer than Checo because his PR is amazing.
Mate, what a disaster weekend for Checo - getting out qualified on merit by the significantly-poorer sister team, crashing out at the first turn on the back of your own error, and all of this at your home GP.

If Checo can secure P2, or a very close P3, in the drivers championship I still think he's safe - if he fucks the next few races royally though, I'd put the house on Red Bull Ric for '24

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Only so many with wins going around and he's arguably the most marketable driver with the ability to speak.

Red Bull is a marketing company at this point. He's very popular in the US and the push is massive with Miami and Vegas now on.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Only so many with wins going around and he's arguably the most marketable driver with the ability to speak.

Red Bull is a marketing company at this point. He's very popular in the US and the push is massive with Miami and Vegas now on.
What's incredible (and with all due respect), is that he's not that interesting or funny when you actually listen to him. He's not a brat like half the grid, has a cute smile and is humble. His PR team is working wonders.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Being personable is most of it. He' can just shoot the shit on podcasts and tv interviews.

He enjoys the rest of life as much as racing. A lot of these guys are robots or extremely trained to sell an image like Hamilton.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Being personable is most of it. He' can just shoot the shit on podcasts and tv interviews.

He enjoys the rest of life as much as racing. A lot of these guys are robots or extremely trained to sell an image like Hamilton.
I would love to see a rugby team swap with F1 for the day. Watching Danny Ricc in a scrum or Lando Norris on the wing. Then trying to fit Skelton and Bell into F1 cars and let them race around Albert Lake.

They did something similar with F1 playing cricket which was pretty amusing.

Sword of Justice

Bill McLean (32)
Yeah there's no chance alonso thinks that he isn't good enough to fight verstappen every week. Maybe Horner is bored of winning so easily and wants to spice it up?