• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Australia Barbarians v Heartland XV

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
We won!38-32. A bit of a report here vie Rugby News.

The Australian Barbarians have defeated Heartland XV 38-32 in Levin, New Zealand in the first match of the sides two match series.

The ‘Baa Baa’s’, a side made up of the best non contracted players from this year’s National Rugby Championships, ran in six tries in the tight victory and led for most of the match.

The visitors scored three first half tries to claim a 19-17 lead over the New Zealand invitational side, with Greater Sydney Rams backs Larry Hermans and Paul Asquith and NSW Country Eagles hooker Ryan Dalziel crossing before the break.

Heartland took the lead for the first time in the match early in the second half, but the Barbarians hit back through Rams halfback Dewet Roos and reduced the deficit to just one point midway through the second stanza.

The home side scored their fourth try of the afternoon just five minutes later to take back the lead, however the Barbarians proved too strong in the closing stages, as Larry Hermans crossed for his second try before Brisbane City lock Ben Hyne scored to seal the 38-32 win in the 75th minute.

zer0

John Thornett (49)
So what is the nature of this Barbarian's side? OP has them as being "made up of the best non contracted players from this year’s National Rugby Championships". What, exactly, does that mean? Are they effectively semi-professionals, in that they train (and play?) full time with contracted players, but do not have any contacts themselves?

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
So what is the nature of this Barbarian's side? OP has them as being "made up of the best non contracted players from this year’s National Rugby Championships". What, exactly, does that mean? Are they effectively semi-professionals, in that they train (and play?) full time with contracted players, but do not have any contacts themselves?

Criteria is they don't have Super Rugby contracts.

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
^^^^^^^^^ criteria for Heartland XV is that you were eligible to play in the amateur Heartland Championship so excludes ITM Cup as well as Super Rugby players.

EDIT: which someone forgot to tell Tom Hill going by his comments in #7 above.

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
How can you have highlights when 2nd game was in Whanganui?? First game you only had to see shots over the fence of Levin to get all highlights you lot need;):p

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
Yep HJ, and mate of mine couldn't believe it when he was driving behind one!! My nicname in Golden Oldies rugby, or with my mates of that age is Mayor as in mayor of Levin because I always find someone or something from Levin!!
Had a mate at rugby club from Whanganui who everytime he went home would try and drag me back to his station in life by putting Whanganui bumper stickers on my car. Mind you he did go back to live there so he liked something in the place.

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I had a Corolla Levin wagon - fucking loved that car. Ran on the smell of an oily rag, nice body kit as standard. Same drive train as the other corollas, same engine. But I fed it 98 octane and re-trained that EMS to fucking roar as much as any bog standard 1.8L petrol engine could.

Added roof racks and did some great road trips in that - covered 2500km in three days driving Sydney - Glen Innes (via Ben Lomond - rough as guts dirt road just north of there) day 1, then Warialda - Gravesend - Bellata - Peak Hill - Wagga day 2, and home to Sydney day 3. Me and a mate and our camping gear, esky full of bacon, steak and eggs. Just had the suspension replaced and new tyres on - got booked doing 129 just outside Mendooran but it could have been worse: overtaking trucks through Pilliga Scrub I was clocking 150 ;)

Day 2 we filled up at Dubbo, then sat behind a semitrailer all the way to Wyalong. Got 650km out of a 50L tank by the time we filled up at Yass - no air con required on a beaut spring day.

Memories. Fuck yeah.

Status
Not open for further replies.