• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Argentina v Australia TRC Round 4 Sunday 8 September 5am (AEST)

rugbyAU

Dick Tooth (41)
458249117_921011036729427_7847661428802020358_n.jpg

Slipper set to come in for Kailea, otherwise wouldn't make any other changes (maybe bring in BPA on the bench to get a look at him)

Sword of Justice

Nev Cottrell (35)
I thought Faessler was solid last match but I think I’m moving him out for BPA if he’s training well because Nasser has looked seriously great so far. Really impressed with his scrummaging and our lineout hasn’t dipped either.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Have you seen BPA play lately? Do you know how he's been training? Or is this just a feeling?

Mr Pilfer

Dave Cowper (27)
Is there any merit in resting more players with an eye to NZ? We are not going to win the rugby championship but we could sneak the bledisloe. Extremely unlikely I know but we have a favourable draw playing them at home first and then away in Wellington.

There is a week off in between the games so if anymore HIAs they should still still be clear to play but wouldn’t hurt to give Valetini a rest for example and start Gleeson or Hooper etc

Marce

John Hipwell (52)
Argentina is a more winnable rival. I'd put all the weapons to target them. The Bledisole has been elusive for 20 years. You are not gonna win it with this new team. The ABs proved that they are at the same level of Boks. 2 wins more would be great and realistic for this team.

emuarse

Chilla Wilson (44)
The players, IMHO, have plenty of rest time with the schedule providing two weeks off between each round of two games over consecutive weekends. Otherwise they could lose their match fitness.

Strewthcobber

Simon Poidevin (60)
Anyone know why BPA's last game in France was in mid-March?

Was he injured? Not selected once he'd signed with the Force? Insulted his coach somehow?

Marce

John Hipwell (52)
The players, IMHO, have plenty of rest time with the schedule providing two weeks off between each round of two games over consecutive weekends. Otherwise they could lose their match fitness.
And with the new schedule, the players travel less, playing 2 games in a row in the same country. So you travel only 2 times per tournament

Wilson

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Anyone know why BPA's last game in France was in mid-March?

Was he injured? Not selected once he'd signed with the Force? Insulted his coach somehow?
Pretty sure he was injured, though it's hard to track down news of it. He did leave that game in March at the 31 minute mark after starting, which suggests some sort of injury.

The Phoenix

Ward Prentice (10)
I thought Faessler was solid last match but I think I’m moving him out for BPA if he’s training well because Nasser has looked seriously great so far. Really impressed with his scrummaging and our lineout hasn’t dipped either.
Faessler is a class above Nasser. Has been all year at the Reds and is for the Wallabies as well. Not saying Nasser is bad by any means, just not at Faessler's level. I would keep them both in the squad - no need for BPA at this stage.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Is there any merit in resting more players with an eye to NZ? wouldn’t hurt to

With a short run up to the Lions tour and as a team desperately needing positivity and creating a "winning" culture, we should be aiming to put out our best team each and every week.

They just had a week off, they will have another one after Saturday, play two matches and then have something like 5 - 6 weeks between the last All Blacks game and the Poms.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
Faessler is a class above Nasser. Has been all year at the Reds and is for the Wallabies as well. Not saying Nasser is bad by any means, just not at Faessler's level. I would keep them both in the squad - no need for BPA at this stage.
They've both been very good and should stay in their roles.

Sword of Justice

Nev Cottrell (35)
I don’t believe there’s a great chasm between them. It’s great for Reds and Wallabies fans to have them both competing. Though I would keep Faessler starting at this point in time.

Frankly I’m amazed that Nasser has been able to maintain our scrum and lineout at his size and age. Extremely exciting to see where he gets to.

rugbyAU

Dick Tooth (41)
Pedro Rubiolo Out for Argentina and Lautaro Bazan Velez & Bautista Pedemonte have also been ruled out for this weekend but the latter two didn't play on Sunday

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
I posted this on last week's thread, but it is probably just as relevant on this thread.

Bernard Foley was on Between the Sticks last night, and commented that in his time kickoff restarts were only practised for about 5 minutes at the end of sessions. Michael Hooper agreed. However, he made one other comment that I thought was salient also. The fields they play on in Argentina are remarked soccer grounds and are only 16 metres from the 22m line to the 40m line. That's a couple of metres short. Maybe the Wallaby catchers are standing in the wrong spot if they are taking a lead from the 22m line?

Foley also made a lot of sense talking about where the No 10 stands in general play and how he tries to manipulate the defence so that there are mismatches that can be exploited by the backline. He also explained how the defending wingers and fullback move around the field at breakdown time so that they are in certain positions when rucks are formed but move to cover different areas as the opposition halfback is getting the ball out. By the time a halfback puts up a bomb or other kick, the defensive wingers and fullback can be in quite different positions than as expected by the halfback.

Foley was excellent with his analyses and was often deferred to by both Morgan Turinui and Michael Hooper. I'm thinking he would be a valuable resource in the squad to help Noah with his development. Certainly looks to be a very well informed coaching prospect.