• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Argentina v Australia, 8am Sunday 1 Sep (AEST) - TRC Round 3

dru

David Wilson (68)
Gut reaction at close of game.

We just beat a team ranked three higher, away, in conditions that favour them. Was it messy? Hell yes. Pumas looked the better team in the first half, but I think we looked better in depth in the second.

I think I'm seeing the Schmidt plan starting to take in the forwards. Not 100% far from it, but the long phases playing tight was there for chunks. Likewise the (Edit) chopping D by the forwards. It has plenty to go, but we are on the way.

Our territory kicking continues to need work, ditto our kick receipt and exits.

It was great to see Bell and Tupou. Scrum can do better but it's looking pretty solid. At the (edit) second half restart, Argie 3 pushed heavy in a scrum for a penalty to be immediately replaced, followed by 19 doing the same. Looked quite planned by Argentina. We should look to step up with that.

Starting lineout took wins against the throw and with the throw, but Argie pulled together to parity as things progressed.

Thought Stewart had a solid debut. Interestingly, when we were following a long phase forward strategy, it seemed that Ikitau was sitting at 12.

Wright had sparks, including a try assist. Kellaway was workmanlike but quiet. Koroibete was largely contained but with definite highlights.

Frost had a couple of decent runs in tight. Valetini was his usual composed effective with drive.

Argentina will rue this loss. it was their game to lose.

I'm not calling this a revamped Wallabies, but it is definitely a step along the Schmidt journey and a positive one.

Last edited:

Wilson

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Wasn't Wilson responsible for that turnover towards the end? Pretty clutch.
Yeah, a few huge plays in the final 10 from him. Best bit was probably that captaincy at the end - waited until there was less then a minute left to choose what to do with the penalty so we could run the clock. It's a small thing, but it's exactly the sort of mistake we'd usually make.

dru

David Wilson (68)
Oh fuck off long pass at speed in the wet pass was fine Jorgo should've taken it.. negative git

Thought it was a call made under pressure to link up. Easy enough to say in retrospect but a kick though proved to be the better option. It's not really the pass that was a concern, just the space lost to Jorgo in setting it up. Then with the pressure pass muff. Yes Jorgo can be expected to take that, but it would not likely have gone far.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
You’re being negative against Max as well mate. It was hard for both players.
The negativity came first from the git who criticised the pass from Lolesio. Noah was probably our worst out there tonight but his hesitation in passing to the outside looked to be because Stewart wasn't in position to take the ball. However, Ikitau had his best game in a while and filled the 12 spot on occasions.

Last edited:

dru

David Wilson (68)
How'd Stewart go?

Crumbs, this is a common query. Solid debut, probably does not oust Paisami. Ikitau often at 12. Hamish had a couple of fluffs that some are making noise about. I don't think this was more or less that 22 others.

Sword of Justice

Trevor Allan (34)
Too much disrespect to the Wallabies by Argies on social networks.... Some examples:

The title: "8 different captains in the last 15 games"
"Rugby in Australia is falling apart and it hurts me a lot"
"It's just that Australians now prefer Rugby League. They let all the youngs go to League without doing anything."
"A Corsican the Wallabies. If they are not the worst Australian team in history, they must be the second worst"
"That speaks of a team without identity"
On my behalf can you please go back to these posts and tell them to go get fucked.

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
Lol just because that pass wasn't terrible as you said doesn't make me think he does no wrong.. there's literally no one else to select. Lynagh's too young and Donaldson just as bad. But I wouldn't complain if they went that way.

We won, in the wet against a team who beat the all blacks in NZ away.

Reactions: dru