• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

2016 Saffer Derbies

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
DHL Stormers: 15 Cheslin Kolbe, 14 Kobus van Wyk, 13 Johnny Kotze, 12 Juan de Jongh (co-captain), 11 Dillyn Leyds, 10 Robert du Preez, 9 Jano Vermaak, 8 Nizaam Carr, 7 Schalk Burger, 6 Sikhumbuzo Notshe, 5 Pieter-Steph du Toit, 4 Eben Etzebeth, 3 Vincent Koch, 2 Bongi Mbonambi, 1 Oli Kebble.
Replacements: 16 Scarra Ntubeni, 17 JC Janse van Rensburg, 18 Frans Malherbe (co-captain), 19 JD Schickerling, 20 Siya Kolisi, 21 Nic Groom, 22 Kurt Coleman, 23 Leolin Zas.
Bulls: 15 Warrick Gelant, 14 Travis Ismaiel, 13 Jesse Kriel, 12 Jan Serfontein, 11 Bjorn Basson, 10 Francois Brummer, 9 Rudy Paige, 8 Arno Botha, 7 Jannes Kirsten, 6 Nic de Jager, 5 Grant Hattingh, 4 RG Snyman, 3 Marcel van der Merwe, 2 Adriaan Strauss (capt), 1 Trevor Nyakane
Replacements: 16 Jaco Visagie, 17 Lizo Gqoboka, 18 Hencus van Wyk, 19 Jason Jenkins, 20 Roelof Smit, 21 Piet van Zyl, 22 Tian Schoeman, 23 Burger Odendaal

Referee - Craig Joubert
AR1 - Rasta Rasivhenge
AR2 - Cwengile Jadezweni

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Kings
15 Jurgen Visser, 14 Luzuko Vulindlu, 13 JP du Plessis, 12 Shane Gates, 11 Malcolm Jaer, 10 Elgar Watts, 9 Ntando Kebe, 8 Jacques Engelbrecht, 7 Thembelani Bholi, 6 Chris Cloete, 5 JC Astle, 4 Steven Sykes (captain), 3 Tom Botha, 2 Martin Ferreira, 1 Schalk Ferreira
Substitutes: 16 Edgar Marutlulle, 17 Sti Sithole, 18 Louis Albertse, 19 Schalk Oelofse, 20 Cyril-John Velleman, 21 Leighton Eksteen, 22 Louis Fouche, 23 Charles Radebe
Sharks
15. Willie le Roux, 14. Odwa Ndungane, 13. Paul Jordaan, 12. Andre Esterhuizen, 11. Lwazi Mvovo, 10. Joe Pietersen, 9. Cobus Reinach, 8. Daniel du Preez, 7. Jean-Luc du Preez, 6. Marcell Coetzee, 5. Hyron Andrews, 4. Etienne Oosthuizen, 3. Coenie Oosthuizen, 2. Franco Marais, 1. Tendai Mtawarira (captain)
Substitutes: 16. Kyle Cooper, 17. Juan Schoeman, 18. Lourens Adriaanse, 19. Dave McDuling, 20. Philip van der Walt, 21. Michael Claassens, 22. Garth April, 23. S’bura Sithole

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
What the fuck is it with Stu Berry and the amount of yellow cards that are given out in games he is officiating?

Funnily enough though, this is one of the rare instances where the two yellows are justified, to be fair.

Cheetahs not yielding to Los Pumas in orange as yet.

14-3 Cheetahs; 21 minutes gone.

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Farcical. Potentially 3 yellows at once. Momentary lapses of stupidity and indiscipline by Jaguares hurting them at the moment.

24-3 with 27 minutes gone.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
JD is back
S24
JD: From nightmare to dream come true

2016-03-02 10:21
Post a comment

share this

1a2c044754a3434a89453829904df9c8.jpg

JD Schickerling (Gallo)
Lloyd Burnard - Sport24
Cape Town - Stormers lock JD Schickerling came within two millimeters of paralysis in 2014 when he broke his neck in an U-21 game against the Blue Bulls at Loftus.
His fractured C4 and C5 vertebrae nearly cost him not only his rugby career, but his ability to walk.
Now, a year-and-a-half later, Schickerling is playing Super Rugby.
The 20-year-old came off the bench against the Bulls at Newlands on Saturday.
He was on the receiving end of a high tackle almost immediately, which made for a few nervous onlookers.
But just minutes after Schickerling had risen to his feet, he was at the heart of a lineout that is already a contender for rolling maul of the season as the Stormers powered their way to a bonus point win.
It has been a long road to recovery for Schickerling, and two operations later he views rugby ... and life ... differently.
"That’s one thing I learnt in life ... not to take things for granted. You have to use every opportunity that you get and just go full out," said Schickerling this week.
"I didn’t know if I would be able to play again until the doctor told me there was a chance if they did a second op ... so obviously I said ‘yes’ and I got a chance again."
The ordeal, and how close Schickerling came to a living nightmare, has been hard on his parents ... especially his mother.
"She was very scared at the beginning (of his return) ... any mother would be like that," he said.
"I actually got another high tackle in the Bulls game (on Saturday), and my mom told me she was very angry.
"She said that she doesn’t really want to come watch live now, she’d rather watch from the TV. It wasn’t very good for her ... both my parents went through a tough time with me but they stood by me."
Schickerling says the hardest aspect of returning to the game was getting in the right head space to take contact again.
"You know you broke your neck and now you have to get confidence going in with your head," he said.
"It was quite tough, but it’s just a mind-set that you have to change and just go for it."
There is a very clear desire in this youngster that is revealed through the passion with which he speaks about the game.
He is set to play behind the star second row pairing of Eben Etzebeth and Pieter-Steph du Toit this season, but with his 21st birthday still three months away, the future is bright for Schickerling.
"I’ve watched JD even when he was a schoolboy ... he was a special athlete then," said Stormers forwards coach Russell Winter.
"I got goosies now listening to him speak about what he’s come back from.
"The contribution he’s made to me and to the team has been fantastic. He’s a great athlete and he’s going to go very far.
"I could carry on speaking about him for hours if you wanted me to ... all positive stuff."
For Schickerling, it is about enjoying each moment ... and he hasn't had many bigger than his Super Rugby debut.
"It was a very big privilege for me. It was a tough time for me just to get back onto the field. To get selected for the squad was something major for me ... it’s been a dream."
The Stormers take on the Cheetahs in Bloemfontein this Saturday.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Cheetahs vs Stormers : Osfontein
Teams:
Cheetahs
15 Clayton Blommetjies, 14 Sergeal Petersen, 13 Francois Venter (captain), 12 William Small-Smith, 11 Raymond Rhule, 10 Fred Zeilinga, 9 Shaun Venter, 8 Niell Jordaan, 7 Uzair Cassiem, 6 Paul Schoeman, 5 Lood de Jager, 4 Carl Wegner, 3 Maks van Dyk, 2 Torsten van Jaarsveld, 1 Charles Marais
Substitutes: 16 Jacques du Toit, 17 Ox Nche, 18 Luan de Bruin, 19 Francois Uys, 20 Boom Prinsloo, 21 Henco Venter, 22 Tian Meyer, 23 Niel Marais
Stormers
15 Cheslin Kolbe, 14 Dillyn Leyds, 13 Johnny Kotze, 12 Juan de Jongh (co-captain), 11 Leolin Zas, 10 Robert du Preez, 9 Jano Vermaak, 8 Nizaam Carr, 7 Schalk Burger, 6 Sikhumbuzo Notshe, 5 Pieter-Steph du Toit, 4 Eben Etzebeth, 3 Vincent Koch, 2 Bongi Mbonambi, 1 Oli Kebble.
Substitutes: 16 Scarra Ntubeni, 17 JC Janse van Rensburg, 18 Frans Malherbe (co-captain), 19 JD Schickerling, 20 Siya Kolisi, 21 Nic Groom, 22 Kurt Coleman, 23 Huw Jones

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Has Kolbe given up on 7s, or is he mixing up both formats like Henry Speight?

Stormers look to be too strong in the outside backs and the engine room. Should take the bikkies by a fair margin I'd say. Surprised Malherbe is on the bench. Isn't he regarded as being one of the stronger THPs in SA?

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Kolbe & JdJ is mixing up both formats. Malherbe is coming back from injury and not ready to start according to Fleck. The fatty formula worked well against the Bulls, no reason to change it.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Great weekend for SA teams. Bulls hammering the Rebels, Lions wbeating the Chiefs and Sharks beating the Argentines. This weekend its the two form SA teams against each other on Newlands.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Teams:
Stormers
15 Cheslin Kolbe, 14 Dillyn Leyds, 13 Johnny Kotze, 12 Juan de Jongh (co-captain), 11 Leolin Zas, 10 Kurt Coleman, 9 Jano Vermaak, 8 Schalk Burger, 7 Siya Kolisi, 6 Nizaam Carr, 5 Pieter-Steph du Toit, 4 Eben Etzebeth, 3 Frans Malherbe (co-captain), 2 Bongi Mbonambi, 1 JC Janse van Rensburg.
Substitutes: 16 Scarra Ntubeni, 17 Oli Kebble, 18 Vincent Koch, 19 JD Schickerling, 20 Sikhumbuzo Notshe, 21 Nic Groom, 22 Jean-Luc du Plessis, 23 Huw Jones
Sharks
15 Willie Le Roux, 14 Odwa Ndungane, 13 Paul Jordaan, 12 Andre Esterhuizen, 11 JP Pietersen, 10 Joe Pietersen, 9 Cobus Reinach, 8 Daniel du Preez, 7 Jean-Luc du Preez, 6 Marcell Coetzee, 5 Stephan Lewies, 4 Etienne Oosthuizen, 3 Coenie Oosthuizen, 2 Franco Marais, Tendai Mtawarira (captain)
Substitutes: 16 Kyle Cooper, 17 Juan Schoeman, 18 Lourens Adriaanse, 19 Hyron Andrews, 20 Philip van der Walt, 21 Michael Claassens, 22 Garth April, 23 S’bura Sithole

Status
Not open for further replies.