• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

2015 HSBC Hong Kong 7's

Status
Not open for further replies.

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
No draw yet but Pools for the main event are:

Pool A Fiji, Canada, Samoa, Belgium

Pool B New Zealand, Australia, Scotland, Portugal

Pool C South Africa, France, Argentina, Japan

Pool D USA, England, Kenya, Wales

SA, NZ & Fiji currently hold 3 of the 4 automatic qualification spots for Rio 2016 with Australia or England most likely to snare the other, respectively 15 & 18 points adrift of Fiji but well clear of Argentina in 6th.

Full table here:

http://www.worldrugby.org/sevens-series/standings

As well as the main event there's a seperate 12-team comp with inclusion in the 2016 World Series the prize:

"The 12-team line-up in the qualifier comprises two teams from each of World Rugby’s six regional associations. The winner will earn core team status for 2015-16 and replace the lowest ranked side at the conclusion of the current series. Japan won the qualifier in Hong Kong last year to join the series. Russia and Spain are the representatives from Europe, Papua New Guinea and Tonga from Oceania, Zimbabwe and Tunisia from Africa, Mexico and Guyana from North America and the Caribbean, Uruguay and Brazil from South America and hosts Hong Kong and Korea from Asia."

Also a 12-team women's invitational & various other filler matches:

http://www.worldrugby.org/sevens-series/news/52155

Tournament starts 27 March which is far too long since Las Vegas which finished on 15 February.

the gambler

Dave Cowper (27)
Been a long time since I've been here and don't want to break any rules but I have a 3 Day Hong Kong Sevens Ticket available as I can no longer make it over.

Please contact me if anyone wants to purchase it for face value.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
I'll be over in Hong Kong covering it for Green and Gold.

If anybody wants to catch up for $2 corona from the local 7/11 I'll see you there!

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
^^^^^ great to see that there are still people out there selfless enough to suffer the horrors of HK on 7's weekend so that the rest of us can keep abreast of proceedings via this new-fangled interweb thingy..........

image.jpg

Onya, mate.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Australian Men’s Sevens fixtures for Hong Kong on 27-29 March:
Australia v Portugal, Pool B, 6.54pm (AEDT), 27 March
Australia v Scotland, Pool B, 12.40pm (AEDT), 28 March
Australia v New Zealand, Pool B, 8.52am (AEDT), 28 March

Australian Men’s Sevens squad for the 2014/15 HSBC Sevens World Series in Hong Kong (one to be omitted):
Cameron CLARK. Club: Northern Suburbs, NSW. Hometown: Sydney, NSW
Tom CUSACK. Club: Canberra Royals, ACT. Hometown: Canberra, ACT
Allan FA'ALAVA'AU. Club: Endeavour Hills, VIC. Hometown: Melbourne, VIC
Con FOLEY. Club: University of Queensland, QLD. Hometown: Fairfield, QLD
Pama FOU. Club: Souths, QLD. Hometown: Brisbane, QLD
Greg JELOUDEV. Club: Sydney University. Hometown: Sydney, NSW
Ed JENKINS. Club: Sydney University, NSW. Hometown: Sydney, NSW
Tom LUCAS. Club: Sunnybank, QLD. Born: Rockhampton, QLD
Nick MALOUF. Club: Sydney University, NSW. Hometown: Robertson, QLD
Sam MYERS. Club: Northern Suburbs, NSW. Hometown: Grenfell, NSW
Jesse PARAHI. Club: Northern Suburbs, NSW. Hometown: Avoca Beach, NSW
Shannon WALKER. Club: East’s, QLD. Hometown: Kyogle, NSW
Bradley WILKIN. Club: East’s Tigers, QLD. Hometown: Wellington Point, QLD

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Shame about Stannard being out, Australia need all the help they can get to keep performing to hold onto fourth place for the Olympics next year!

HJ Nelson

Trevor Allan (34)
Staff member
Australian Men’s Sevens fixtures for Hong Kong on 27-29 March:
Australia v Portugal, Pool B, 6.54pm (AEDT), 27 March

Australian Men’s Sevens squad for the 2014/15 HSBC Sevens World Series in Hong Kong (one to be omitted):

Final squad has Cusack omitted.
First game seems to be on tonight, but can't see it live on FoxTel - anybody know if it is on ?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
No Stannard is a massive loss for the Thunderbolts.

Presumably Allan Fa'alava'au will be our starting playmaker. He's alright but not as decisive as Stannard and doesn't have that gritty edge that Chucky brings.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Try Channel 507 Fox Sports Plus from 6pm Sydney Time today, and 2:30 pm tomorrow.
Having checked, the front screen on Chanel 507 says 6pm, but clicking on that Channel it shows that Hong Kong 7's coverage will start at 9:10 pm Sydney time.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I went over a couple of years ago for the 7's and it was fantastic. Recommended to any rugby fan.

Just for the record, I went to my first Hong Kong Sevens in 1977, a few months after I arrived there to start work. Two days, Saturday drew maybe a few hundred spectators, the Sunday maybe three thousand. No pre-booking, plenty of vacant seats.

It was played at the old Hong Kong Football Club ground in Sports Road, the site has disappeared, part of the trade-off that allowed the Jockey Club to widen the Happy Valley Racecourse.

The trade-off included a redevelopment of the Government Stadium, which is where the tournament is now played.

For the first couple of years New Zealand was represented its champion provincial Sevens side. So Manawatu (I think it was) have their name on the trophy.

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
^^^^^^ 1976 tournament was won by Cantabrians, Marlborough were runners-up in '77 & Manawatu runners-up in '78. From then until 1982 the winners of the National 7's Championship represented NZ but without success. A fully National side was first sent over in '83 & came runner-up, first title didn't come until '86 by which time Australia had won it 4 times.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hong_Kong_Sevens#History

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
After a mere 40 days since Las Vegas, Hong Kong is underway! England 26-19 Wales. Just 8 matches tonight, your blokes are 3rd up & mine 7th.

Status
Not open for further replies.