• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

2012 Rugby Championship Game 1 Australia vs New Zealand - 18 August

Who will win 2012 Rugby Championship Game 1 between NZ and Australia?

• The Men in Gold - The Wallabies

Votes: 50 45.9%
  • The Darkness - The New Zealand Rugby Team

Votes: 59 54.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The best reply I could come up with was Kurtley Beale wearing a scarf.

art-svWALLABIES-620x349.jpg

Scorz

Syd Malcolm (24)
The old tackling/linking/carrying/ruck-hitting v tackler/fetcher argument is kinda useless BTW.

Tactically the AB's can rely on a pack to keep some ball and use it to score from the momentum. Hard to steal ball when you already have it.

In contrast, Aussies need Pocock because of the lesser physicality of their pack.

Apologies if I've gone over something already said - just got to the end of the thread.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
Assuming he continues his remarkable 2011 form I'd say Lealeiifano will push heavily for 10 next year, there won't be a need to try play Beale (or JOC (James O'Connor)) at 10.​
So much discussion here about our backline but for me that isn't our biggest problem and hasn't been for some time. Other than a woeful injury list that is!​
Beale+Ioane wil be a key feature. If they are given opportunity in broken play some big headaches are coming the ABs way. Fail to keep a close eye on Genia and Barnes and things will get hard for the ABs, both are very very good at finding holes.​
The Press are discussing SBW/Nonu a lot. Neither are McCabe standard tacklers, but both are extremely capable defenders, and Nonu in particular is a dominant tackler. SBW has a bad habit of throwing his shoulder, something I'd suggest is a vulnerability, to me it suggests his head isn't in quite the right space when he is resorting to them.​
Our defense has been very good and while no McCabe is a loss, Ant is a very very good substitute who brings his own dimension to the centres. People wish Cooper was there, but Barnes is a talented running ball player who will have taken a lot of confidence and balance from his performance in June and the event of becoming a Dad.​
What we we need is our forwards to fire.​
Scrum wise I can't see a lot in it between the two teams, despite their respective reps. Losing BBBT (and Horwill for us) are blows for both sides. Theres been a lot of unfair criticism of TPN. He is an impact player, excuse the pun, capable of timely offloads. Kepu continues to get stronger. Robinson I am unsure of but clearly all three together is a strong combination.​
Our backrow I am very much looking forward to seeing in action, for me it is the single biggest risk of the team composition. No Kaino is good news for us, but Messam in current form is hardly a gaping wound, more a lurking threat. I have a lot of confidence in Dennis. He isn't an explosive player ball in hand, but he is powerful and somehow always knows where to be. A good tight player that is exactly what the doctor ordered imo. Higgers at 8 on the other hand is a gamble. But a good one I think, a talented and unpredictable player. The ABs will have their hands full worrying about him and Genia.​
People saying McCaw is past it are just kiwi-baiting really. He is not quite as fast as he once was, but his read of the game is one of the very best and he will always be where he needs to be. Read is Read.​
Lineouts will probably prove to be a crucial aspect of the game, I hope our boys have that in hand.​
edit Fixed Read spelling error, must have misreid it.​

ACR

Desmond Connor (43)
Who should I pick to finish off my fantasy back row? Messam or Read? Which do you think will play the full 80? Read has been injured so he must be doubtful.

Or perhaps another Saffa against the Argies? Sure to be a big forward battle?

P

Paradox

Am I the only one who thinks the NZ engine room looks a bit softer than usual? Of course, the inexperience of their locks could be misguiding me...

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Looking at the two sides on paper, us without Horwill, JOC (James O'Connor), QC (Quade Cooper), Palu etc etc and the recent history of the two sides....the Darkness should be embarrassed if we get within 30 points of them!

Riptide

Dave Cowper (27)
Why on earth did they pick Romano? Apart from that, the Kiwi side looks pretty dam scary. They made the right call in regards to Messam>Vito>Thompson.
The only other question is Mealamu over Hore, who I think has been in much better form.

Romano is a better scrummager and he offers more grunt about the park while being a stronger ball-carrier than Retallick. If the game is going to be fought in the trenches, he might be the better option. He certainly produced the goods against Ireland but then again, who didnt?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I see Aaron Smith as the key to this game, his life needs to be made a total misery.

He has a wonderful, fast wide pass.

It must be stopped

Riptide

Dave Cowper (27)
Theres been a lot of unfair criticism of TPN. He is an impact player, excuse the pun, capable of timely offloads. Kepu continues to get stronger. Robinson​

Enjoyed the post although I disagree strongly with TPN. His impact invariably is negative. He misses his jumper too frequently for Test level 2, too frequently gives away penalties in the attacking zone, or tries the miracle offload pass and he invariably has poor technique in the tackle which results in a blow to the head after which he fails to compete effectively for 10-15 minutes until he is eventually hauled off.

I recognize his abilities as an explosive ball carrier but they in no way offset the negative aspects of his game that are even more evident at Test level and detrimental to the Wallabies. I would have had Nandos in a flash. Frankly, I no longer believe he merits inclusion in a Wallaby 22.

Between TPN and Timani, we really could be onto a hiding on the penalty count if we do not sharpen up.

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
I think fatprop hit it on the head, Wallabies will need to stop Smith. If I am honest my biggest concern for the ABs is in their heads. I in no way think they are writing Wallabies off, but unless you actually feel it deep down in your bones,so to speak, you can find that in first 20 minutes of game you are behind and then they may struggle a little. I still believe that hwat happened 2nd test against Irish, they tried not to be over confident but deep down they knew they were a better team, and may have relaxed a fraction, which wallabies will hurt them for.

Anyway boys, just sitting here making last post and thoughts as I wait for ride to airport to head down to Sydney for test, so talk to you after weekend.Lets hope for a great test, with the ABs winning of course:D

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
I love the obscure justification like "linking" that Kiwi's use to continue the party line of McCaw over Pocock. It must help them get to bed at night. :rolleyes:
And no Jiggles what gets me to bed at night is up until now ,I have never seen Pocock outplay Sir Richie head to head!!:p

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I think fatprop hit it on the head, Wallabies will need to stop Smith. If I am honest my biggest concern for the ABs is in their heads. I in no way think they are writing Wallabies off, but unless you actually feel it deep down in your bones,so to speak, you can find that in first 20 minutes of game you are behind and then they may struggle a little. I still believe that hwat happened 2nd test against Irish, they tried not to be over confident but deep down they knew they were a better team, and may have relaxed a fraction, which wallabies will hurt them for.

Anyway boys, just sitting here making last post and thoughts as I wait for ride to airport to head down to Sydney for test, so talk to you after weekend.Lets hope for a great test, with the ABs winning of course:D

There is no stopping genia or smith if they are playing behind a dominant pack. Stop the pack and you stop the half.

Whoever gels and hunts best as a pack will win this. If they are even then I expect the ABs greater firepower to get them home.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
Enjoyed the post although I disagree strongly with TPN. His impact invariably is negative. He misses his jumper too frequently for Test level 2, too frequently gives away penalties in the attacking zone, or tries the miracle offload pass and he invariably has poor technique in the tackle which results in a blow to the head after which he fails to compete effectively for 10-15 minutes until he is eventually hauled off.

I recognize his abilities as an explosive ball carrier but they in no way offset the negative aspects of his game that are even more evident at Test level and detrimental to the Wallabies. I would have had Nandos in a flash. Frankly, I no longer believe he merits inclusion in a Wallaby 22.

Between TPN and Timani, we really could be onto a hiding on the penalty count if we do not sharpen up.

Thanks for the comments Rip. I am not yet sold that lineouts were
Nau's fault really, and for me his ballcarries are his edge over Moore. Do worry for his head though.

Agree re Timani, but if we need a strong lock, it is him Douglas , Neville or perhaps Jones. I worry about his workrate but Douglas lost his edge by end season and if Timani really fires he will do us proud.

Status
Not open for further replies.