• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Players we Should Have Selected Ahead of Salesi Ma'afu Based on Form

Status
Not open for further replies.

farva

Vay Wilson (31)
Keiren Longbottom
Matt Dunning
Le Fuse
Tim Fairbrother
Dan Palmer

Discuss.
I am concerned that he is in the team based on the season he has had.
Why?

Edit: and no animosity to the big fellow. He has tried his guts out, and fair play to him for taking his opportunities.
But I see this selection on par with selecting say Gene Fairbanks at the moment.

T

TheNextBigThing

Baxter's form was never the issue. The decision was made a long time ago that he wasn't part of Deans's plans its a real shame because he's played head and shoulders above the others you've mentioned since Kepu was injured.

Tahs front row ground everyone bar the Crusaders into mulch. It was one of the few massive positives from this season.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Because Deans blooded him last year, thought he improved and wants to see him again?

Or maybe he's just stubborn and doesn't want to admit he made a mistake...

Baffling, to say the least. The only really bizarre selection.

darkhorse

Darby Loudon (17)
I would have been have been happy with any of those players making the squad over Ma'afu. I don't think any of them particularly deserve to make the wallaby world cup squad atm, but they could step up if they were in that environment.

I'm hoping this won't matter, because Deans will only take 4 props. Hopefully :praying:

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
If Dan Palmer is fit he should definitely have Ma'afu's spot.

Best scrummaging TH in the country, and being part of the squad might've helped improve the other aspects of his game.

S120

Chris McKivat (8)
Greg Holmes, Dan Palmer, Al Baxter (ignoring Deans' reluctance to use him), Matt Dunning, Tim Fairbrother. Just about anyone aside from Guy Shepherdson.

farva

Vay Wilson (31)
Greg Holmes plays the wrong side of the scrum doesnt he?
Or am I getting it wrong, thats why I left him out originally.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
I wouldn't have picked Ma'afood either, but when a national coach in any sport makes a different selection to me, my first reaction is that he knows more than I do, not less. I'm sure Deans has his reasons. I doubt it is 'stubbornness'. People say he is stubborn, because he stubbornly insists on ignoring their own selections.

The fact that Ma'afood warmed pine this year for the Brumbies means nothing: Brumbies selections are often the polar opposite of what is right.

The amazing thing is that there were only two left field selections (this one, and Gerrard). Normally, Wallaby selection post mortems are seething pits of discontent.

T

tranquility

Yeah, I have the utmost respect for Robbie and his far superior rugby knowledge to my own - however this selection is garbage.

Gerrard on the other hand, great call. He would definitely be in my WC squad.

Swarley

Bob Loudon (25)
The fact that Ma'afood warmed pine this year for the Brumbies means nothing: Brumbies selections are often the polar opposite of what is right.

The amazing thing is that there were only two left field selections (this one, and Gerrard). Normally, Wallaby selection post mortems are seething pits of discontent.

The reason there's not as much debate over selection is that a 40-man squad picks itself. With the usual 30-man squad there's always a few fringe players that miss out. Picking 10 extra allows room for the fringe players, the bolters and the coach's personal favourites, i.e.: Mumm, Ma'afu et al.

And on your first point, you're spot on. Case in point: AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
What's the difference between these guys? Ma'afu was in the squad last year.

To give Ma'afu credit: He played very well in the Super 14 last year and his fringe squad position was warranted then... although his frequent selection in the starting xv was a total pain...

However, he hasn't done anything this year to deserve selection.

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
Speaking as someone who put watching Brumbies games towards the lower end of my priority list this year, but occasionally checked on how they were going, I was disappointed in Palmer's year. He seemed to be off the field for lots of it injured and the rest of the time he was pretty much invisible.

B

Balcknred

Let's not forget how well deans got ma'afu to play against the boks at suncorp last year , maybe deans feels he can bring that out again and let's hope he does to justify his selection

Status
Not open for further replies.