• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

ARU - Taskforce designed to reform Brisbane and Sydney Premier Rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

This is from the QRU website(The Chairmans Letter), Rod McCall wrote this in the May uptate....

A new season of Premier Rugby is underway with defending champions Sunnybank chasing back to back Hospital Cups.
Ahead of the season, the Australian Rugby Union formed a Premier Rugby Taskforce which is designed to reform the Brisbane and Sydney competitions and provide them with a defined purpose and role in the national rugby landscape.
The taskforce consists of ARU Deputy CEO Matt Carroll, Chris Birch (President of Sydney RU), David Hanham (QRU General Manager Game Development), Richard Hawkins (ARU & Super Rugby contract manager) and ARU Integrity Manager and Taskforce project officer Phil Thompson.
Members of the taskforce will assess all Brisbane and Sydney clubs and their varied business models and will report back in July with their recommendations.

I know its not July but do we know anymore on this or what some of the recommendations may be?
Also I'm aware their is a club rugby section, but the implications of this are far greater then just club rugby.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Good update TOCC, as you say on a critical matter.

IMO, GAGR should form a small group to make its own (urgent, given deadlines) recommendations into this review. Why not?

I'm not a Premier Grade 'expert' in any sense, or I'd put my hand up. Mr Timms or Juan Cote might be willing to assemble some core GAGR inputs?

It's a bit disappointing as well that this key review has had (as I understand it) very limited publicity so as to ensure the maximum number of local inputs. Or were external inputs sought at all?

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Anyone else think it's a bit poor not to include ACT, VIC & WA in this review also? Especially for long term purposes.
At the current stage the majority of players who have professional potential are playing in these 2 comps. With that in mind I can understand why only these 2 comps have been chosen. Also the Premier Clubs receive funding from the ARU as part of the player pathway.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
At the current stage the majority of players who have professional potential are playing in these 2 comps. With that in mind I can understand why only these 2 comps have been chosen. Also the Premier Clubs receive funding from the ARU as part of the player pathway.

Agree totally, the smart thing financially is to builda comp on the east coast then slowly expand it if there trying to form another ARC. It sucks for the other states but it's still pointing the game in the right direction.

kronic

John Solomon (38)
Don't think that's a suitable reason for non-inclusion, unless resources don't permit for it. Adam Freier stated it beautifully on the ABC's 'The Clubhouse' recently, if we keep relying on these 2 comps (Shute Shield specifically), how are we suppose to produce a sustainable talent pool?

Keep this in mind: The VRU premier division will undergo major changes next year, 2 teams look to drop out (at this stage).

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
At the current stage the majority of players who have professional potential are playing in these 2 comps[/B]. With that in mind I can understand why only these 2 comps have been chosen. Also the Premier Clubs receive funding from the ARU as part of the player pathway.

Except all the Brumbies players.......

T

TOCC

Rebels, Reds, Waratahs, National Academy and a large number of Force players all play in the two Premier Grade comps.. It's the natural choice

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Agree totally, the smart thing financially is to builda comp on the east coast then slowly expand it if there trying to form another ARC. It sucks for the other states but it's still pointing the game in the right direction.

I use to think this, but do you really think the clubs can support further professionalism. The clubs move to professional structures has been shambolic. Most of them run on the smell of an oily rag. Players jump around clubs each season looking for the best deal and clubs go broke buying a team to try and keep up with the powerhouses.

I think replacing all the academies with trans-tasman U21/U22 competition based on the super rugby franchises, with the Australian teams funded jointly by the ARU and super rugby franchises, is far more viable and will build a better pool of talent.

This should be the goal of the ARU and NZRU once they can both afford to fund it.

It would also allow the 5 main club comps to continue their long standing traditions and remove the weight of professionalism off them. Would also allow for the introduction of new clubs from non-rugby area's as the big clubs would lose a lot of their talent to the U21 team meaning that the smaller clubs could now compete. Perfect example of this is a team like logan in brisbane, who field a team in reserve grade. The introduction of a higher tier would be the perfect time for them to make the move up to premier grade.

I'm sure there are similar example in NSW, Illawarra maybe?

Spewn

Alex Ross (28)
I like the idea of a trans-Tasman under 20/21 comp like the Toyota cup. The club system appears to be dead in the water financially.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Off-topic posts removed. For what it's worth Slim is right - the Brumbies are all playing in the ACT comp this year, but lets keep this thread on topic of the ARU review into club rugby.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
We certainly need something, anything, to replace this outdated system we have now.

Obviously it's difficult to start up a new national comp now, especially with the extended Super Rugby season.

Something like the junior comp should certainly be looked into.

Empire

Syd Malcolm (24)
Agreed on needing something to be done, but the Tuggeranong Vikings should have been included in a review process - they have all the ingredients and financial clout to ably participate in the "next level" of club rugby. A good reference point.

In any case, I won't hold my breath for anything groundbreaking regarding anything to do with the ARU and club rugby.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Agreed on needing something to be done, but the Tuggeranong Vikings should have been included in a review process - they have all the ingredients and financial clout to ably participate in the "next level" of club rugby. A good reference point.

In any case, I won't hold my breath for anything groundbreaking regarding anything to do with the ARU and club rugby.

Yes!

grievous

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Anyone else think it's a bit poor not to include ACT, VIC & WA in this review also? Especially for long term purposes.
yes but far from surprising. Nothing will become of it anyway the clubscene is too political

Status
Not open for further replies.